PDA

View Full Version : G8784 Grizzly Chuck vs. Nova Midi or PSI Utility Grip

John Minor
08-24-2007, 1:06 PM
I'm trying to get started in bowl turning. I have a lathe, sharpening system, and I've been turning some spindles here and there (a rolling pin, some dresser pulls, and other things).

I need a chuck for bowl turning. The latest issue of Wood Magazine recommended the PSI Utility Grip, item CUG3418C (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cug3418c.html). I did some searching around here and some have recommended the Grizzly 4-Jaw Chuck, Item G8784 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g8784). Almost $40 cheaper, but the PSI does come with 2 sets of jaws.

Woodcraft is also selling the Nova Precision Midi (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5185) for $90 right now, and I have a $15 off coupon, so I can get it for the same price as the PSI.

I've read a lot of opinions on these, but the consensus seems to be that the Grizzly is just fine for beginner work. Some have had problems with them, but most like them.

A couple questions about the Grizzly:
(1) does it come with a screw chuck attachment?
(2) can anyone tell me the range of the included jaws? I can't find this info anywhere.

And finally, questions about the choice:
(3) Is the Nova worth the $35 price difference over the Grizzly? What about the PSI?
(4) Which should I choose?

Any opinions/help/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gene Kennedy
08-24-2007, 2:10 PM
I sure hope the consensus here is that the PSI chuck is the best buy - I just sent them a check for one this morning. :D

Jason Clark2
08-24-2007, 2:34 PM
Amazon.com has the PSI Barracuda 2 with 4 sets of jaws for $127.16.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9772111-0164105?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1187980194&sr=8-1

I had one until fairly recently and liked it quite a bit. I'd probably still be using it if I could get an adapter for 1 1/4 X 8 threads (mine is an older model that takes inserts and isn't pre threaded for 1 X 8).

Jason

Christopher K. Hartley
08-24-2007, 2:45 PM
John, I have used the Griz and been very happy with it. When I traded up to my Robust I got the Stronghold and there is quite a difference with a precision chuck. For that reason, I would seriously look at the Nova. Also there is a broad jaw selection and the woodworm screw. There is; however, some benefit in considering the PSI as well. You get two jaw sets and a woodworm screw so you have some versatility not available with the standard Griz. If it were me and I had the extra $35 I'd go with Nova. If you don't have the extra $35 I'd probably go with the PSI. That's just me though. Any way you go is not bad. :)

John Minor
08-24-2007, 3:05 PM
Thanks, Chris for the input - I take it the Grizzly does not come with the screw chuck, then. That is good to know because I'll definitely want a screw chuck (even though it seems easy enough to make one, I will want it to be compatible with the chuck system).

I'm seriously considering that Barracuda 2 on Amazon for $127 shipped - it seems like quite a deal (thanks Jason). Definitely more than I wanted to spend though. I guess I'm torn between the Barracuda and the Nova now! The Barracuda definitely comes with more goodies, and the added one-handed tightening is a bonus for sure. But it will cost more - since I can get $15 off at woodcraft, there will be a price difference of about $40 all told considering shipping.

Decisions, decisions! Anyone else have any comments/input? Thanks! :D

Jeff Bower
08-24-2007, 3:25 PM
John, I don't have a chuck yet either, but I've looked at the Barracuda pretty hard. It comes with all the sets of jaws and with that price....:rolleyes:

Like others have said I think you can't go wrong with any of them, but I'm a "more bang for the buck" type of guy. If PSI was brand new to the world, I'd be more hesitant, but I've read many great reviews about the barracuda2 and have been told by qutie a few it holds up well as too.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2007, 3:38 PM
John I have the Grizzly H6266 and it is a good chuck for $99. This chuck is the same as the Vicmarc VM100 and the Vicmarc jaws will fit it just fine plus you can get the screw chuck. I have two of them with one being dedicated to the Vicmarc Cole jaws. I also have the Vicmarc VM100.

John Minor
08-24-2007, 4:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to splurge and go with the Barracuda2 - for $127 shipped that is quite a deal. Thanks again! :p

Jonathan Harvey
08-24-2007, 4:53 PM
I have a oneway Stronghold and I can't compare it to other units as this is the only one I have ever had but must say that it is an excellent chuck.

Gordon Seto
08-24-2007, 5:39 PM
Take a look at the re-fabricated SuperNover2 from Tim Geist for only $124. It should comes with screw chuck and 1 year warranty. If it doesn't come with insert, the $5 Pinnacle chuck insert from Woodcraft fits it.
http://www.timstoolcrib.com/products.php

Gordon

John Minor
08-25-2007, 9:08 AM
I'm going to ask possibly a stupid question now about these 4-jaw chucks, seeing as I've never used one:

Do you also use them to turn spindles between centers? That is, can you somehow chuck a spindle in one of these and affix the tailpiece center as well for spindle turning? If not, I assume it is necessary to remove the chuck and re-install a normal drive center to turn spindles, right?

Bonnie Campbell
08-25-2007, 9:27 AM
I've done spindle turning using the chuck on the head stock with the tail stock supporting.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2007, 9:40 AM
Yes John you can use a chuck for spindle turning. I use one for mini birdhouses, lidded boxes, finials, etc. using the tailstock for suppoet.

Rich Stewart
08-26-2007, 2:50 AM
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but you are going to end up buying at least two chucks and possibly three when you get tired of taking out all them little allen screws to change jaws. Might as well save some shipping charges and get them all at one time. Use the plastic. I ended up buying three. One has the pin jaws, one has the regular jaws and one has the cole jaws. The cole jaws are good for bowl bottoms. Just do it. In a couple weeks you won't miss that money but you will miss not having a couple chucks.

Bob Hallowell
08-26-2007, 8:15 AM
I used the 50 dollar grizzly for along time and it works fine. I moved to the psi barracuda 2 and I like it better. But I still use the griz when I want to use the dovetail feature

Bob

Skip Spaulding
08-26-2007, 8:19 AM
John, I have both the Barracuda 2 and the SuperNova 2. I use the Nova for larger turnings. No trouble with either but the Nova is machined better.

Gordon Seto
08-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Do you also use them to turn spindles between centers? That is, can you somehow chuck a spindle in one of these and affix the tailpiece center as well for spindle turning? If not, I assume it is necessary to remove the chuck and re-install a normal drive center to turn spindles, right?

You can do it both ways. There are drive centers that you can use with the chuck for spindle turning.

The one on the right is from Nova, the one on the left is a Steb center. Both are for use with Nova chucks, you just use the back of the chuck jaws to hold onto the 4 flat spots on the groove. The one in the middle is long enough for using while the chuck is still installed. BTW, this is also a safe drive.

When you are using a chuck to hold one end of the spindle, you can reduce the force from the tail stock. This allows you to turn more slender spindles-something like the icicles on those Christmas ornaments.

Gordon