PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Dust Collection

Scott Hayes
08-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best option for collecting the dust from my new Dewalt 12" compound miter saw (on a stand), using my Jet 1100cfm collector. I've looked at the "big gulp" attachment on the web, but don't know if that will do the job. Suggestions?

Greg Narozniak
08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
If you are refering to the $199 unit (Not sure if that is the name or not) No way would I go that route. You can built a box that has a 4" port and make a stand or sit it on outfeed rollers behind the saw. The issue is that there is an equal amount, if not more, that falls through the bottom of the the saw. I am contimplaing how I want to do mine on my miter bench.

Not sure if I want to go the DC route or just wait until a Shop Vac is on sale and team it with the sears 'Instant On" switch. Miter cuts are usually quick so firing up the Oneida each tme or even every couple of times would be not so good.

John Eaton
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I've heard of good results being gotten by using a large rubbermaid container - if you're clever with the way it's attached, it will move left/right with the end of the saw (it slights against a back support) - cut a hole in the back/bottom for a collecting hose. I'm going to try this when I set up my SCMS in it's permanent location.

-- John

Jason Beam
08-24-2007, 1:04 PM
Scott, here's a sketchup model of my miter saw station - I also found a 90 degree elbow that fits on the teeny little dust port on the back of the saw. This helps to aim most of the dust down toward the chute.

It catches almost all of the dust that emits from that saw without complaint. I do think that 4" will probably suffice, but the 6" on mine really really gobbles up the dust. You can actually feel the airflow near the saw!

Hope it helps :)

Grant Davis
08-24-2007, 1:22 PM
Jason,
That is an awesome looking design.

Bart Leetch
08-24-2007, 3:28 PM
Scott here is a quick set up I made out of 1/4" masonite &an old interior door frame& a few 1" square scrap strips. The top pieces pivot out of the way so I can turn the saw & the flaps in the back are hinged so help direct the chips toward the Dc opening.

John Thompson
08-24-2007, 4:14 PM
Afternoon Scott...

I'm mobile with my SCMS.. so I just double ported my 4" DC line (2-2 1/2") to the main saw port and just behind the blade where if you catch it, it can't spread back. Works well for me but... I will add that nothing you do will catch it "all" on a miter saw.. period.

Good luck...

Sarge..