PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
08-24-2007, 7:05 AM
Friday August 24, 2007

"GOOD MORNING CREEKERS"!!!

Well, this has been quite the week. It has rained every day. They say we're closing in on 14" for the month, which has already made this the wettest month ever and we still have a week to go. :( And more rain is forecast. :(

My grass is nearing the point where I'm going to have to call in the local farmer to cut and bale it. I think my weekend will be spent trying to mow, as they say it's supposed to quit raining for a few days, starting today.

I will also continue to work on finishing up the dust collection for my RAS and CMS. Just have to build a couple of enclosures to help contain the saw dust.

So what's up in your neck of the woods? Work? Play? Clean? ;) :D

Whatever your up to let's hear about it. Have a good weekend.

BE SAFE!

Karl

Doug Pettway
08-24-2007, 7:22 AM
i know i'm gonna have about 14" of grass to cut tomorrow as well. haha. i'm not really looking forward to it but i love being outdoors so it isnt so bad.

i'm in the middle of a drill press work stand build so hopefully i get that finished up this weekend.

on top of that, i've got a couple of guitars that i need to do some more work on.

should be a quiet and relaxing weekend...and thats the way i like them. :)

Guy Germaine
08-24-2007, 7:28 AM
I need to mow too. I got my 3 acres done Wednesday, but I 4 acres at my FIL's to mow. I need to get started on a commissioned jewelry box and another Newfie Sofa table.

Mike Heidrick
08-24-2007, 7:45 AM
I will mow as well when I can - 6 acres. Looks like strong T-Storms in the forecast for today. Also plan to work on ducting layout.

Michael Stanley
08-24-2007, 7:45 AM
Temps are in the high 90's-100, have been all month, + high humidity + no ac in the shop = no fun stuff this weekend :(

Matt Meiser
08-24-2007, 8:15 AM
Hopefully I can mow too. Its been since mid-week last week and we have another storm rolling in right now, then more forecast for this afternoon, tonight, and even into tomorrow. There will be some area I won't even be able to get to.

Other than that it will be serious time in the bathroom--I mean working on the bathroom. Wednesday night we gutted it down to the bare subfloor and walls. I have plumbing work, finishing touches on drywall work, priming, and ceiling painting to do while LOML will be working on preping the area above the shower for tile and cleaning, sanding and re-polying the trim we took down. The plan is to be ready to install the cement board early next week.

Al Willits
08-24-2007, 8:31 AM
The aftermath of hell week is finally tapering down enough to maybe see the light, we seem to be sharing the same weather at Karl and every time we head outside to do something it rains.

Might be a reprieve in the weather this weekend, so I am hoping to get a bit more of the tree cut up into a stackable size...then get the brick molding done on the one window I've managed to install, hopefully before the siding people show up.

Kitchen cabinets are on hold, need to get all this taken care of first, but maybe we'll get out to find the "lighter" white oak Beasty wants, also need to build the HT room TV stand, and end tables, and then the upstairs corner TV stand....help!!!!!!

No cleaning this weekend, so I may be contacting that support group.

A safe and well weekend to all.

Al...who hopes to go from newbie woodworker to apprentice woodworker by the time this is all done...:)

Jamie Smith
08-24-2007, 8:34 AM
Wednesday was the first rain that we have seen in august. No need to mow here- with the watering restrictions and no rain, I think the grass is pretty much dead (or, if we are lucky, just dormant)

But, my daughter's soccer practice starts tomorrow so that will be fun

Nancy Laird
08-24-2007, 8:42 AM
We had about 1.5" of rain here in Albq./Rio Rancho yesterday and last night--intersections flooded, lightening strikes, power outages, traffic jams galore. We needed the rain, but not all at one time!

Heading out on a road trip today--Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee--to visit friends and family. Gonna have the opportunity to visit some Creekers while we are gone, do a little R&R, and buy some lumber. Can you say 4/4 FAS maple at $2.40/bd.ft. and oak at $1.60/bd.ft.? I'm not telling where, though, until we get our share, then we'll let the hoards descend. Have a good one, everybody.

Nancy (119 days)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2007, 8:45 AM
Tonight....maybe Saturday...a little tag-team turning......

Saturday Night.....Hot August Nights.....Concert.....this old 60's rocker is gonna party.............to "Eric Burdon and the Animals"

Sunday....recover from Saturday...:D Momma it hurts...Make it go away Momma

Jim Becker
08-24-2007, 9:27 AM
Family activities will preclude any shop time this weekend, but I'm looking forward to being in the shop the following weekend...and week...for some quality time working on my vanities!

Robert Mayer
08-24-2007, 11:10 AM
I bought this massive pile of walnut for $50. Its cut pretty rough and I need to sort it all out badly so its not sitting outside any longer. Theres a few pieces that have the old bark still on them but they can still be salvaged.

I need to make some kind of jig to put the wood on and cut one straight edge with my circular saw.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-3/1250124/DSCN1890.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-3/1250124/DSCN1891.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-3/1250124/DSCN1892.JPG

Ralph Barhorst
08-24-2007, 2:12 PM
Saturday morning I will be touring a millworks near Yellow Springs, Ohio. The tour was arranged by the Western Ohio Woodworking Club (WOW). Those taking the tour will meet at 7:00 AM for breakfast and the tour will start at 8:00 AM.

This is pretty early for me, but I guess I can make it. :(

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2007, 2:38 PM
I bought this massive pile of walnut for $50. Its cut pretty rough and I need to sort it all out badly so its not sitting outside any longer. Theres a few pieces that have the old bark still on them but they can still be salvaged.

I need to make some kind of jig to put the wood on and cut one straight edge with my circular saw.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-3/1250124/DSCN1890.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-3/1250124/DSCN1891.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-3/1250124/DSCN1892.JPG

Uh Robert......I believe that wood haul would be considered a gloat!:D

glenn bradley
08-24-2007, 3:41 PM
I'd like to make a little progress on a small set of drawers for my bench. I'll get to the finish stage on Mom's b-day present and of course . . . do the yards.

Fred Voorhees
08-24-2007, 6:37 PM
Well.....I had a bunch of plans of various little tasks around the house to do this weekend while the better half went back out to our sons new home to help ready it for moving in. Cutting the forest....er....grass in the yard will be a chore once I get to it. However, I was roped into going back out to our sons Saturday morning to do some window and closet trim work, as well as some baseboard trim. Had to dig out the planer, portable compressor, chop saw, nail guns and a few other things.

I'm hoping to be back home in time to head to Saturday nights modified dirt track racing program. I haven't been there in a few weeks due to the sons home work stuff and season long points battle is coming down to the last few weeks and a local dude right here in Ringoes in right in the thick of the race for the crown.

Steve Milito
08-24-2007, 7:24 PM
Hopefully, I will have my first stab at spraying shellac at my shop cabs. :D
I never sprayed before, so this is going to be 'a learning experience'. :eek:

Cody Colston
08-24-2007, 8:49 PM
I plan to get back to working on my EC since I should have my tablesaw going again by tomorrow morning. The band saw is already up and running.

While in woodworking limbo, I formed up for pouring a slab behind the shop for a shed addition and one at the entrance door for a "porch." I still need to wheelbarrow some dirt into those forms.

Saturday night I plan on watching da 'Boys preseason game against Houston. Should be fun while the starters are in the game. ;)

Jim O'Dell
08-24-2007, 9:23 PM
I work 1/2 day tomorrow, then to the shop. Need to work some more on the multi-purpose bench tops. I got the final piece of PVC I need so I can reassemble that to know where to cut the hole in the top for the left bench. Might have to see if I can wire around the speed control on the PC 8529 router. If not, I'll have to build a new circle cutting jig for the 7518 so I can cut the holes. Need to also take the new Bies. fence out of the torn up box to make sure everything is in there. We'll see if I start assembling it, or wait. I'm taking off Tues, Wed., and Thurs. to start working on my roof leak. As it gets too hot in the afternoon on the roof, I'll be able to play with the Bies.
And I'm with Cody. I'll watch 'da Boys Sat. Saw that 30 to 3 score the other day, and thought they played on Wed and I didn't know about it. :eek: :eek: :D Jim.

Jack Ganssle
08-24-2007, 9:35 PM
Alas, too much business travel - San Diego this week, then leaving for Norway Friday. I'll probably spend most of the weekend working to get slightly ahead. Hopefully might make a microscopic bit of progress on a box project. Got some beautiful curly Maple that's just screaming for attention, but nuthin' is likely to happen for a bit.

Jack

George Sanders
08-25-2007, 7:10 AM
Goin' to an auction. Probably spend way to much money. :o I'm in the market for a heavy duty lathe and a planer. There are supposed to be 30 wagons of tools. With three rings going on at the same time it will be hard to be at the right place at the right time but I'll give it a shot.
Then I'll have to clean out the garage just to find a place to put the "new toys".:rolleyes:

David LaRue
08-25-2007, 9:54 AM
I am finally using the cherry lumber that I purchased a couple of years ago, ( most of a flitch) and building a rail & stile all cherry fireplace mantel & surrond. Above it will be my new TV set wired for HD. :D

My plan is to finish it a natural as possible. Likely that it will show off some of the charater of the wood, and woodworker.. ;)

I guess I should shoot some pictures of my progess .... :eek: