PDA

View Full Version : Frence Polish with Lacquer ??

Mike Mancini
08-24-2007, 7:04 AM
Is it possible to use lacquer, rubbed on as I understand the french polish technique does with shellac? Background: I have a cheap laminated guitar that someone gave me to practice my luthier skills on. I sanded down the top and got all the polyurethane finish off. Now I'd like to try refinishing it. I know I can buy a rub-on poly finish and do it that way, but I have a can of Behlens Qualalac Gloss 100E and just tried rubbing it on with a cloth on a test piece of pine. I seem to be able to put a thin coat on it that way. Any opinions as to whether this could put an acceptble finish on my guitar this way if I build up coats and sand in between? I can mix it with thinner. Thanks
Mike

Craig D Peltier
08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Not sure if this helps but this months Wood magazine has an article how to put on a Frensh Polish step by step with Shellac.

Larry Fox
08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't believe lacquer lends itself to French Polishing as the process requires a lubricant, all of which are incompatible with the lacquer.

While French Polising is a technique for "rubbing" on shellac it is much more involved than simply padding it on.

Steve Schoene
08-24-2007, 11:23 AM
The French polish method is more than just wiping it on, it involves lubricating the surface with oil while the applying the polish. I haven't tried this with lacquer, but the fact that shellac is the only material I have ever seen associated with French polish technique suggests there could be problems. Wiping lacquer without the French polishing seems more like what you have in mind. There isn't a particular reason why this won't work, but I think you will have to be very quick. No going back to get a missed spot. Problems won't show up on the first coat or two, but are most likely to appear as you get close to the final coat so try it on scrap going all the way to the finish you would want on the final project.

Why not spray the lacquer?

Shellac would make a decent finish for the guitar, and you can buy padding lacquer from Behlen (Qualasole) and also from other makers such as Star.

Mike Mancini
08-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the advice. I dont have any spray equipment. I realize this is a wacky idea but I'm all for thinking outside the box. I'd like to use up this lacquer I already have, and lacquer is still the classic finish for acoustic guitars, unless you have a Taylor, which uses a UV cured polyester coating. I'll try several coats on my test piece and see how it goes.
Of course, I never was very good at spit polishing my shoes when I was in the Air Force but I'm a little more patient now that I'm older ;)

Jack Briggs
08-27-2007, 8:11 AM
Mike,

Lacquers are too fast drying to be padded on. There are lacquers that are formulated for brushing via added retarders for flow-out, but padding wouldn't work. It'd dry in the pad much too quickly.

You can get nitrocellulose lacquer in cans from Stewart-MacDonald's Guitar Shop Supply:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Finishes_and_solvents/ColorTone_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquer_.html

You still want to wet-sand the finish and buff to gloss, but it alleviates the need for spray equipment.