PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer 30 commerical fence

Greg Dykes
08-23-2007, 9:39 PM
I know there has been a thread started concerning this subject however, I thought I would start one fresh that is a bit easier to understand.

Lowe's is no longer going to carry the Biesemeyer 30 commercial fence system and is offering the ones they do have in stock at an extremely LOW price.

The Lowe's item number for this is 237671. It should come up in thier computer as a discontinued item at a price of $80. I found a store that had three in stock. They had to hunt for them but finally found it. I located one of the Asst. Managers and offered him $50 for it. He said no problem. After tax, I was out of the store $53 lighter but with one hell of a fence system for my old table saw. I hope to have it installed by tomorrow night. It sure beats the crappy thing that came with this Craftsman 10" contractor 18 years ago.

If anyone is interested in one and cannot find one at thier local store, let me know and maybe we can work something out. I know where 5 are at.

Jim O'Dell
08-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Greg, it will help folks in your area if we knew a rough idea of where you are. I'm sure there are some who would jump on the deal, and would appreciate your help! Jim.

Jim W. White
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
The first store I called they found (1) in stock using the sku number 237671, but had it set at $200 and would not budge from there.

Called the store on the opposite side of town and they showed a stock of (2) also at $200 but before I could explain that people were finding them a lot lower he said "But I bet you we could make you a good deal on one of these" ...he called back in less than 10 minutes after hunting down the manager and told me they would sell for $75/peice.

I promptly put one on hold and picked it up tonight after work. :D ....keep calling around until you get a store that's ready to really clear them out!

Jim in Idaho

Matt Benton
08-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Jim,

The Hurst Lowe's on Precinct Line has one left as of 7:00pm tonight. They want $100 and won't budge. Still a pretty good deal.

Also, the Keller Lowe's on Rufe Snow (a little closer to you) had one left as of yesterday, and they want $80.

I'd call before you go, but if you still want one, you should be able to get one of those...

Greg Dykes
08-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Jim, sorry I didn't have my location shown on my profile. I am new to this site and still learning my way around this place. I love it so far.

I live in Fort Walton Beach, FL. Fort Walton is located between Pensacola and Panama City in the NW Panhandle of Florida. Some call this place LA. LA is not for the big city is CA. it means Lower Alabama since we are only about 40 miles from the border.

I could'nt wait till tomorrow. I had to take mine out of the box and have a looks see. I think I will make one modification. The table extension that comes with it is only about 12" long. I will take the steel extension that is on there off and build a longer table extension out of 2 pcs. of 3/4" MDF covered with formica and make it extend the entire length of the angle iron support. I have my saw mounted on a mobile wood cabinet that I use as a dust collection in the middle and storage on each side. I should be able to brace up from the cabinet to the longer extension.

Greg Dykes
08-24-2007, 12:03 AM
If any of you guys have a problem getting the clearence price on one of these let me know. I can give you my transaction number so you can have your local Lowe's pull it up and they can see what the other stores are letting them go for.

Steve Mcmahon
08-24-2007, 7:58 AM
Can anyone send me a reciept, I have found two in Cincinnati, but they are still marked at 200, store manger told me if I should a reciept he would honor it,

thanks

Steve

smcmahon@fuse.net

Steve Mcmahon
08-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Just want to say thanks to Richard for his fast reply

John Kordes
08-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Does this Lowes deal include the rails?

Bill Wyko
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
It's the whole kitten caboodle!:D

Jim O'Dell
08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Jim,

The Hurst Lowe's on Precinct Line has one left as of 7:00pm tonight. They want $100 and won't budge. Still a pretty good deal.

Also, the Keller Lowe's on Rufe Snow (a little closer to you) had one left as of yesterday, and they want $80.

I'd call before you go, but if you still want one, you should be able to get one of those...

That's odd. When I was at the Bryant Irvin location last Sat, the girl looked it up and said none in the computer in Fort Worth, Arlington had 3 and Weatherford had 4. Since then I've heard from someone in Arl that bought 2. Young guy at Weatherford said he thought they had 1, but no mgr to talk to, that was Sunday. I'm going to call and maybe try again today after work. Jim.

Gary Ratajczak
08-24-2007, 1:39 PM
If possible, could i get a scanned receipt? I have one local, but solid as a rock at $220.00

grat@nycap.rr.com

Thanks all

Matt Benton
08-24-2007, 1:46 PM
Jim,

I think when she said none in Fort Worth, maybe she meant only Ft. Worth.

The one in Hurst was actually returned to the store on Wednesday.

Jason White
08-24-2007, 3:57 PM
Yes, it's a complete kit including legs and a laminated extension table.

JW

Does this Lowes deal include the rails?

Craig D Peltier
08-24-2007, 5:06 PM
If possible, could i get a scanned receipt? I have one local, but solid as a rock at $220.00

grat@nycap.rr.com

Thanks all

Im emailing you one now.

Grant Davis
08-24-2007, 8:12 PM
I bought two of these just two hours ago at Lowes on Morse Road in Columbus, Ohio. While waiting for them to be retreived from the upper shelf I had the girl behind the counter check surrounding stores. There are 9 of them from Groveport on the South side to Bellefountaine to the NorthWest.

I got mine for $80 each.

Good Luck,

Bill Wyko
08-24-2007, 8:29 PM
I just contacted Lowes HQ. I'm supposed to get a call back to find out the skinny on getting them at the 80 buck price. If I get any info that will get you all a leg up I'll post asap.:D

Robert Conner
08-24-2007, 8:31 PM
The smart thing to do after they tell you they "have none" is to look on the high shelves where tools are kept. Sometimes the store computer does not seem to show the inventory accurately. Today I was at local Lowes looking for Water Filters, I looked up and saw Delta Boxes. I actually moved over one of their ladders climbed up and saw a box behind a box. I thought it was a #36-U30 which I was looking for a few weeks ago when they were on sale for $60. As I climbed higher I saw it was the #36-B30 Bies instead. Two days ago I was told they had none. I actually still want the Unifence deal, maybe they will turn up.
I went to a Manager, showed him where it was. I paid $80. + tax for the Biesemeyer.
Robert

Jim O'Dell
08-24-2007, 9:01 PM
Here's another trick for you. The young man that helped me look through the Arlington store to see if any others existed said "Let's go out side in the garden area. This box says fence on it, and another guy and I were taking this out with the fencing materials. Maybe the others are out there."!!!! I kid you not! So, think like a borg that is no longer linked to their hive. They sometimes have their own logic!:D Jim.

Jason White
08-25-2007, 7:07 AM
I wish you hadn't done that. What if it's a mistake and they jack all the prices back up to $400?? :eek:

I just contacted Lowes HQ. I'm supposed to get a call back to find out the skinny on getting them at the 80 buck price. If I get any info that will get you all a leg up I'll post asap.:D

Dick Strauss
08-25-2007, 11:57 AM
My local Lowes has it listed at $360 but would sell the item (mentioned by item number) for $320 when I asked about it. Supposedly their cost is $300 from what they said. They don't have a lower price on the item listed in their computers but was told that they are not going to stock them any more. I respectfully passed on their offer.

Jim O'Dell
08-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Dick, ask them to ring one up as a price check. I bet it rings up at 80.00. If not, their manager has done a price over ride in the computer, if they can actually do that. What I was told is that once it goes to a certain point, the mgr can sell it for what he wants just to get it out of the store, but the fences were one step before that in the compputer right now. Computer shows 80.00. Once it gets to the next step, they can and have destroyed stuff and thrown it in the dumpster. Retail sales has always been about turning inventory. If something sits on the shelf x number of months, it's costing them money. Jim.

Bill Wyko
08-25-2007, 1:16 PM
I wish you hadn't done that. What if it's a mistake and they jack all the prices back up to $400?? :eek:
I doubt they made a nation wide mistake.

Bob Roberts
08-25-2007, 3:37 PM
I just bought one from Lowe's in Longview, TX for $80.00. They have one left.

Joe Spear
08-25-2007, 3:46 PM
If you find one left, you are very lucky. They're closing them out, just like they did with the Unifences a few months ago. One Lowes near me had three the other evening when I was there. But, like the idiot I am, I waited until the next morning to go in and buy one. All three had been purchased by a guy a few minutes before I got there.

Yes, if they have one, it's probably way up high on the very top of the shelving. However, if you give the skew number, 237671, to the clerk at the customer service desk or to the person in the tool section, the computer check will tell if they really have one or not. It seems that the computer keeps inventory really well.

Jim O'Dell
08-25-2007, 4:27 PM
Joe, the store I got mine at showed 3 in inventory. We found 1. We found 2 of the T30's and guess that the Biese's were sold under the other sale by accident. They only do inventory twice a year, so they could be off, and it woud be a while before they would know it. Jim.

Joe Spear
08-25-2007, 6:14 PM
Their computer shows different quantities on different pages sometimes. On one page, with the fence listed all by itself, the reference said there were three. But on the page that listed all the equipment down the page by type (like saws and fences), the reference to the Biesemeyer fence said they had zero left. Evidently one page gets updated before the other for some reason.

Art Gimplowitz
08-25-2007, 6:57 PM

Hi,
Have you received any feedback from Lowe's HQ? A buddy of mine purchased the last one yesterday at a local Lowes for $80. I had them check other stores in the area and they came up with a store that had one. Went there this morning and had them check the price in their inventory. Came up $200. Spoke to the Tool Manager, showed him the documentation that it was being sold for $80 all over the country. He didn't care and told me that each Lowe's was an individual entity and that they could determine their own selling prices. He wouldn't budge. Told him that I was going to contact headquarters. He didn't seem to care. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

David Schindeldecker
08-25-2007, 7:57 PM
My Lowe's has a couple ($80), but the Biesemeyer website says it requires a table at least 20 inches deep, and cast iron. I have a Craftsman Contractor style that has only 19.25". Plus, it's cast aluminum, not iron.... Those of you who have them, this is too small, correct?

Thanks !

Jim O'Dell
08-25-2007, 8:45 PM
Well, as reported in another thread, I think...there are so many going on on this fence purchase:D, my box was open on the ends but everything appeared to be there and in good shape. I finally got to go through it a few minutes ago. I'm missing 2 things...the instruction manual (which I found on line) and the template. Can't mount it without the template. But I've got other fish to fry this weekend, what's left of it. So I'll contact the e-mail posted in another thread that might help with missing parts and see if I can get one sent to me. Everything else is in perfect shape. Jim.

Allen Bookout
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm missing 2 things...the instruction manual (which I found on line) and the template. Can't mount it without the template.

Jim, It has been a couple of years since I installed a Biesemeyer 50 on my Uni but I am sure that in the instructions it gave the figures on how much lower than the table top to install the top of the rail and that basically was what the template was for. You could just use those figures or make a template real easily from them and then mark where any holes need to be drilled, if necessary, by temporarly clamping the rail into place. I am not sure about this particular fence so hope that I am not out of line.

Sam Shank
08-25-2007, 10:22 PM
All stores in the greater Cleveland area (down to Canton and west to Sandusky) are in the $300 range. I took one up to a register, and it rang $360. Didn't want to bother to haggle with a manager.

Greg Dykes
08-25-2007, 10:29 PM
David, I have just installed my fence on an old Craftsman cast iron model. After doing the installation, I see nothing that would lead me to believe the saw would have to cast "iron". As far as that goes, your saw top could be made of plywood and it wood work. I had to drill all my holes. Nothing that was on the rails would work. It was no problem though.

As far as your saw only being 19.25" wide, there again I see no problem. You may have to relocate the two small slides that are located on the underneth of the fence.

If I was you, I would get one. You will see how easy it is to adapt/modify the thing.
Greg

Jim O'Dell
08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Jim, It has been a couple of years since I installed a Biesemeyer 50 on my Uni but I am sure that in the instructions it gave the figures on how much lower than the table top to install the top of the rail and that basically was what the template was for. You could just use those figures or make a template real easily from them and then mark where any holes need to be drilled, if necessary, by temporarly clamping the rail into place. I am not sure about this particular fence so hope that I am not out of line.

Yes, the rail shoud be 2-27/32 below the top. No way would I get that measurement correct across the length of the rail. :D Like I said, I'm in no hurry. I have a fence on the saw, I'm in the middle of laminating some MDF for the tops of the 2 benches I've been working on for, what, 5 months?? :eek: The only reason I checked the contents was because the box was torn, and if something needed to be ordered, I'd rather do it now than when I actually had time and started to install it and not be able to use the saw while it was down.
The instructions for non Delta saws appears to be very good!
Thanks for the note! Jim.

Jason White
08-26-2007, 7:49 AM
According to the person I traded emails with at Biesemeyer, it will not work. You must have a cast-iron top at least 1-1/2" thick and your table top must meet the other dimensional requirements (they have a checklist on the site).

JW

My Lowe's has a couple ($80), but the Biesemeyer website says it requires a table at least 20 inches deep, and cast iron. I have a Craftsman Contractor style that has only 19.25". Plus, it's cast aluminum, not iron.... Those of you who have them, this is too small, correct?

Thanks !

Rich Schneider
08-26-2007, 8:36 AM
those $80 fences are appearing on eBay and our local Craigslist for $200 plus...this reminds me of the Tonka 50th Anniversary trucks deal a few years back...came out around Christmas...retailed for $20...wasn't readily available in all parts of the US...people were paying $40 or more on eBay plus shipping for them for a short time..

Allen Bookout
08-26-2007, 10:33 AM
I was thinking about getting one if there are any left around here and putting it back for use later. I thought about converting it for a better router table fence or a bandsaw fence or maybe an extra smaller tablesaw with a dedicated blade or some other type of setup but the more that I think about it the whole idea seems to not be very logical. My question is, what are all of you guys buying an extra one for?

Jim O'Dell
08-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Well, I need to go amend my e-mail to Biese. I can't find the knob for the fence handle. Unless it is stuck into a hole in the foam packing on the underneath side, it's not there. Expected to find it in a loose bag. Can anyone tell me where theirs was in the box so I can make sure? Thanks! Jim.

Well before I sent this I decided to take the istruction parts list and count everything off. I need to send a revised e-mail to Biese. Seems I'm also missing the hair line pointer, the 2 screws and flat washers for it, plus 2 each 3/8 flat ad lock washers. The last 2 items are no big deal, I can get them easy enough at work for free. I suspect the knob and pointer items were in one bag. for those of you who have assembled yours, is that true?
Thanks again!

Jason White
08-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Jim, sounds to me like you might have purchased a display model. They're always missing stuff. I bet Biesemeyer will send you the missing parts. Best to contact them now before they move all their operations to Tennessee. Things could get lost in the shuffle.

JW

Well, I need to go amend my e-mail to Biese. I can't find the knob for the fence handle. Unless it is stuck into a hole in the foam packing on the underneath side, it's not there. Expected to find it in a loose bag. Can anyone tell me where theirs was in the box so I can make sure? Thanks! Jim.

Well before I sent this I decided to take the istruction parts list and count everything off. I need to send a revised e-mail to Biese. Seems I'm also missing the hair line pointer, the 2 screws and flat washers for it, plus 2 each 3/8 flat ad lock washers. The last 2 items are no big deal, I can get them easy enough at work for free. I suspect the knob and pointer items were in one bag. for those of you who have assembled yours, is that true?
Thanks again!

Jason White
08-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't think it would make for a very good router table fence on it's own. Unless, that is, you build an adjustable auxiliary fence for the router and slide if over the fence. I've got a router table extension wing in my table saw and that's what I'm planning on doing.

JW

I was thinking about getting one if there are any left around here and putting it back for use later. I thought about converting it for a better router table fence or a bandsaw fence or maybe an extra smaller tablesaw with a dedicated blade or some other type of setup but the more that I think about it the whole idea seems to not be very logical. My question is, what are all of you guys buying an extra one for?

Jim O'Dell
08-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Jason, the big bag of bolts was intact. The rail, mounting rails, and fence have absolutely no marks on them. Only the ends of the box were opened, 70590 like someone was looking for missing parts from one they previously purchased. The whole side of the box was intact as was the foam separating the items inside the box. One end had a flat folded up piece of cardboard that looked like it was for filler that was a little out of place. But it didn't appear to house anything, unless the manual was in it. I imagine it got robbed for parts. I've e-mailed Biese with the updated list. Jim.

Steve Mellott
08-26-2007, 7:50 PM
In reply to your question, there are 3 separate plastic bags in the shipping box: The leg levelers; the knob/cursor; and the washers/bolts and nuts. Its possible for one of the bags to fall out of the end of the box (if it is open). The large bag fell out in the back of my van, while I was taking the fence home.

Larry Rasmussen
08-26-2007, 8:11 PM
Someone opened one end and then stood it up open end down. On a deal like this I laid the box down in the isle, opened it all the way up, pulled the instructions and checked part by part. I know some have had friends or family pick these up but if you're there yourself ya gotta take the time.
Larry

Bruce Wrenn
08-26-2007, 9:14 PM
For $80, just buy the missing pieces. Remember these are clearance items. Mine already had knob and cursor attached. The tableboard was missing, along with misc. hardware. I couldn't use the included table board any way. The hardware I already have in my shop, as I have built Bies clone for years. I can't buy the materials for less than $40, plus my labor and the time on my neighbor's Bridgeport mill. Tommorow, I'm going to do a search of a local store that shows none in stock, and hasn't sold any in the last six months. They are probably there. Funny thing is Lowes is going to be stuck with all those contractor's saw without a fence. That is as soon as they clearance the T-2's Then saws will be a bargin. Remember that most stores only have one saw in stock.

Jim O'Dell
08-27-2007, 2:20 PM
I received an e-mail back from Nita per my parts request.

"Jim,

We'll get it out for you today. Your confirmation order number is XXXXXX

Sincerely,
Nita Miller
Biesemeyer Customer Service"

Now that was quick. I told her so and said she was super. Jim.

Wes Bischel
08-27-2007, 2:40 PM
Now that was quick. I told her so and said she was super. Jim.

And I bet you made her day!

Wes

Jim O'Dell
08-27-2007, 3:40 PM
And I bet you made her day!

Wes

Well, that is as long as I didn't put 2 p's in there!
It would only be fair, she made my day hearing so quick that it wass on it's way! Jim.

Greg Dykes
08-27-2007, 9:10 PM
I now have 4 extra's and 3 more on the way. I figured I would let the whirlwind settle down a bit and see if I could make a few dollars on E-Bay. I hope to make enough to buy a DW734 planer. We'll see.

Brett Elliott
08-27-2007, 9:20 PM
I found a Lowe's with three of them today. Only one would fit in my car, and I don't feel like futzing with more of them. There are two left. The Lowe's is located in the Cincinnati area. It's the Northgate location on Colerain Ave, just outside of I-275. The two were in top stock in aisle 17, about 1/3 the way down the aisle on the right.

Good luck!

Brett