PDA

View Full Version : Miters question

Matt P
08-23-2007, 7:47 PM
I am making jewelry boxes (6"x4"x2.5")I don't have room for a table saw, so I make the miters on a router table with an Incra Miter Gauge at 90deg, with a 45deg chamfer bit (1/2 inch shank). The resulting mitered edges are not quite straight - sometimes a slight curve(s) instead of a perfectly straight edge. Not sure why this is happening - I hold the wood tight to the fence, etc. The resulting miters aren't too bad, but I thought this method would make them perfect. Any ideas? Other ways to make perfect miters without a table saw? I know there are mini-table saws out there, also perhaps a hand miter box (Nobex).

glenn bradley
08-23-2007, 8:02 PM
Your chamfer bit should do the job if the material is passing through the cutter under control. You might consider a sacraficial fence for the Incra and clamp the material to it. I made a small sled that clamps the wood very securely and rides in the miter slot. The wood should pass through the cutter almost without effort. If there's a bit of shoving required, take smaller bites or sharpen your cutter (?). Just my guess.

Bill Wyko
08-23-2007, 8:21 PM
How sharp is your blade?:)

Matt P
08-23-2007, 8:22 PM
The chamfer bit is a new Magnate one, so its pretty sharp.

Do you think a Nobex miter box would make perfect miter cuts for jewelry boxes (boards: 3-4" tall x 1/2" thick, of tulipwood, cocobolo, etc.) ? The cut would be longer than your average picture frame miter.