PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Sanding Problem

Ron Hipp
08-23-2007, 7:22 PM
Have a problem sanding light fine grain woods. Appears I am leaving sanding grit in the grain. This happens when using the fine grits. I use wet and dry 500 and 1000 grit for the final passes.

I assume I'm either using to much pressure or possibly speed of lathe not appropriate.

Anyone know of a reference on the net I can look up to help me correct this problem. Any suggestion or help is appreciated.

Ron

Mike Vickery
08-23-2007, 9:02 PM
I have heard and agree that you should never jump over 50% on your grit so the highest you should go from 500 is 750.

Also make sure to wipe down the piece betwean grits to avoid grit particles from the previous grit contaminateing the piece. I use DNA to wipe mine down.

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2007, 9:58 PM
I agree with Mike. If you are using 500 then 800 would be my next grit. I also blow my piece off with a compressor and then wipe it down with DNA after every grit. This has to be done with every grit or you are not gaining anything.

Paul Heely
08-24-2007, 7:52 AM
In addition to the other advice you might also try a different brand or type of sandpaper. I found that the black wet/dry sandpaper I used to use would leave a lot more grit behind and since it was black was very noticeable on light wood.

Ron Hipp
08-24-2007, 9:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips, I'll try all. Paul now all I have to do is find another local source of 500 thru 1000 paper.

Patrick Taylor
08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips, I'll try all. Paul now all I have to do is find another local source of 500 thru 1000 paper.

I order 50-packs of sanding disks in grits from 80-2000 from Jerri at Abrasives ASAP (http://www.abrasivesasap.com/) They were recommended to me by another turner and I'm very happy with their prices, service, and quality.

Not affiliated, yada yada yada....

Allen Neighbors
08-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I've recently had some problems sanding, too... and I finally decided it was from jumping to high in the grit line... so I'm back to using the intermediate grits, and sanding until all the sanding marks are uniform, before going to the next higher grit. I don't know how many grits they make, but I go from 100 to 120, 150, 180, 220, 280, 320, ... and so-on. I also use an air gun, and reverse the direction of rotation between each grit. A bright, glancing, incandescant light will help, too.
I don't use the Denatured Alcohol... just never have... don't mean it ain't right. It would probably make my finishes turn out better still, but I seem to always be in a hurry. I know... you can't rush a good finish.

Ron Hipp
08-25-2007, 2:00 AM
Thanks for the link Patrick will need it if I can't find the paper locally, Allen I agree the biggest problem was probally not using all grits in equence.... I really like the ideal of cleaning with DNA between grits.

I'm sure I've had the problem all along. I've been working with darker woods and I came into a chuck of Maple and that is when the problem started to show it's ugly side ..

Ron

Ron Fleice
08-25-2007, 6:55 AM
Ron..In addition to the suggestions posted here I might add the method I use on pretty well all my turnings.
I start usually with 120 (depending on how good I used my tools I sometimes start with 80) I wet sand with mineral oil and after each session of sanding I burnish the piece with shavings then on to the next grit 180, 220 etc on up to 600 each time using mineral oil reversing occasionally in the higher grits..always burnishing the piece between grits ..always had good luck with this method taught to me by a professional turner..
ROn

Ian Welford
08-25-2007, 6:18 PM
Might be worth using cloth backed abrasive such as "J flex" it's designed for stainless steel polishing but is (IMHO) just about the ultimate woodturning abrasive.

Although I've just started using ABRAFLEX ( made by MIRKA) which is a mesh with grit on it is great and doesn't clog easily. BUt as everyone previous has said you've got to go through the grits and clean each one off before progressing.
Ian

Dennis Peacock
08-25-2007, 6:59 PM
Ron,

Go to your local auto body supply places and get the sandpaper in higher grits there. These will not loose their grit as quickly as the w/d paper from the BB stores and does a very nice job. Also may want to wet the wood with mineral spirits while sanding. This will help your end results as well.

Ron Hipp
08-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Ron; I'm assuming you meant to say mineral sprits. I further assume that mineral sprits doesn't leave a residue that would cause problems with the final finish of choice.

Dennis, you actually wouldn't believe the poor selection of sanding paper in the local automotive stores here I've been searching. Would love to find a local source of quality high grit paper.

Learning all kinds of new ways to prevent the problem, now I just need to get shop time to try them all out..

Ron