PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Home Despot Black Tiles

Ed Maloney
08-23-2007, 6:26 PM
Maybe I'm doing it right or maybe I'm not. I did some quick research on the forum about lasering these tiles, but there are a bunch of different answers over the years about the settings. The attached was done at 400DPI, 100S, and 50P. I experimented around with different settings, but my expectation was that is should be lasered deep enough to show the white ceramic beneath which I was not able to do.

Anyone have some settings that will get through the paint, or are the results I got typical?

Lee DeRaud
08-23-2007, 9:19 PM
I suspect most of the settings you found here were for the black granite tile from HD.

But judging from your use of the words "paint" and "ceramic", you're talking about something else entirely. I'd be surprised if you can get through the color layer on a glazed ceramic tile with a 35W laser no matter what settings you use.

Stephen Beckham
08-23-2007, 9:38 PM
I agree with Lee... The best you'll do is re-glaze some ceramics (red clay type come to mind) with no noticable change or un-glaze the surface removing the shine and leaving a hazy "scratched" surface (black granite types) where the laser fires.

Ray Mighells
08-23-2007, 10:21 PM
I've tried to do both black and white and that glaze is tough to burn thru. Multiple passes on the white left an impression deep enough to color fill. The black took forever and I decided neither were worth the effort. Too much laser time to earn their cost. Black painted white tiles laser real nice but the paint chips off easily. Clear coating with poly helps some and it's ok in a place where it won't get dinged. If anyone knows of anything that will bond to the glaze surface please pass it on.

Brent Vander Weil
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
I just found some interesting tiles at the Menard's store here in town... they appear to be glass, bt have been back painted with various colors... I'm gonna throw one in the laser sometime this week and see what I get... Anyone else ever used this type of tile?

George M. Perzel
08-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Guys;
Check out this old link for info on lasering painted tile.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46064
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Craig Hogarth
08-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I just found some interesting tiles at the Menard's store here in town... they appear to be glass, bt have been back painted with various colors... I'm gonna throw one in the laser sometime this week and see what I get... Anyone else ever used this type of tile?

these work well reversed engraved on the back and colored filled.

Ed Maloney
08-24-2007, 4:38 PM
I suspect most of the settings you found here were for the black granite tile from HD.

But judging from your use of the words "paint" and "ceramic", you're talking about something else entirely. I'd be surprised if you can get through the color layer on a glazed ceramic tile with a 35W laser no matter what settings you use.

Thanks guys. I guess the recreational drugs I did in the 70s are finally kicking in. ;)

Frank Corker
08-24-2007, 7:27 PM
Thanks guys. I guess the recreational drugs I did in the 70s are finally kicking in. ;)

Hey guys I think we have the answer to the question everyone has been asking about :D

Ed I also tried ceramic, it has a different surface finish and it becomes very unpredictable structure wise, it will chip if it is hit too hard and fail to mark adequately with less. Colour infill is about your only option with it. However, if I were given the chance, I would love to take a tile that has just been biscuit fired and then dipped in glaze. I would like to try engraving something on that by obliterating the freshly painted on glaze and then give it the final firing. I think it would have a very interesting result. Has anyone ventured a try at that?

Tom Bull
08-24-2007, 9:19 PM
I know that "how hot is it?" is unknown, but is it hot enough to fire ceramic paint. Has anyone tried painting on the tile with ceramic paint, lasering, and then washing off the rest? A bit like Cer-mark. I might stop at the ceramic store tomorrow and see whats available, unless someone has been there, done that, and it was a no-go.

Frank Corker
08-25-2007, 4:56 AM
Well I think you should investigate that right now Tom. It may well be a road to somewhere!

Bill Cunningham
08-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I spray white tile with Cermark, and get good results..
I have a cat picture on here someplace.. Also a wipe on/wipe off with enamel paint will work on some tiles..

Craig Hogarth
08-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I know that "how hot is it?" is unknown, but is it hot enough to fire ceramic paint. Has anyone tried painting on the tile with ceramic paint, lasering, and then washing off the rest? A bit like Cer-mark. I might stop at the ceramic store tomorrow and see whats available, unless someone has been there, done that, and it was a no-go.

Here's a previous thread of mine. I do them occasionally, but not as much as I'd like.

I'm doing them for a guy who owns a paint it yourself pottery studio. I engrave frames and/or text through a masking tape. He paints and glazes the engraved area leaving blank ceramic alone. Customers paint the tiles, paint wipes off glazed engraving and that's that.

The problem is that once you factor in my fee and him having to do the additional firings, it brings the customer price a little over 4x the cost of a blank tile.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57882&highlight=ceramic+tiles