PDA

View Full Version : Assistance please?

Bonnie Campbell
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I made up these pens pictured below for a wedding. Well, the 8th pen I need to do is to be a segmented pen using all of the woods in one. I've never done segmenting, so what would be a good way to go about this 8th pen?

The woods are 2 osage, 1 ebony, 1 bloodwood, 1 lignum vitae, ash and oak.

I'd like to do a great job on the segmented pen. The guy ordered pens from me knowing I hadn't made any at the time :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Pens/JustinPens.jpg

I know, I posted the picture in another thread. But figured I'd start a new one to ask advice on segmenting.

Thanks!

Mike Vickery
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I may be bias but the articles by Ron McIntire or myself in this tutorial may help, I doubt the other two articles would work for your needs.
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/tutorials/SegPenBlanks.pdf
If you go over to penturners.org look through the library for 2004 for an article called creating a polycromatic segmented pen, that also would be an option.

Patrick Taylor
08-23-2007, 1:50 PM
I think this book has a good how-to on segmenting a pen with multiple woods, but the IAP library probably has something similar that's free and available now.

http://www.amazon.com/Pen-Turners-Workbook-Making-Stunning/dp/1565233190/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3589911-7066054?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187891579&sr=8-1

Kenneth Hertzog
08-23-2007, 2:01 PM
Bonnie
What I have done is the past is measure the length of the tube and divide by the number of segments wanted. In this case that would be seven. Make the pieces big enough so when glued together you can resaw them to a 22 degree angle. then drill your hole for the size of your tube and glue. Also be sure to line up your angle when assembling the pen.
Is that what you wanted. :)
ken

Bonnie Campbell
08-23-2007, 2:28 PM
I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I know my straight cutting talent is about nil. So I figure I'll be doing plenty of sanding just to get things matched up. I do like them patterns, I just don't know if I could accomplish them :o

I'd asked the person for a number in importance that each wood represents. A couple I can figure (lignum dad & ebony brother). But He's being an airhead with all the wedding plans. So just trying to figure out what good placement won't make for a gaudy pen.

Just ignore me, I'm rambling as I think on it lol

Bonnie Campbell
08-23-2007, 3:19 PM
Okay, I like the swirl segment. Can I do it like this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Pens/pensegment.jpg

Using whole pen blanks (I don't want to cut any fingers off). Then just slice it once the blanks are glued? And then glue my slices together?

Or will that just be to much wood to turn off without problems?

Kenneth Hertzog
08-23-2007, 4:34 PM
Bonnie
here is how I do it. I figure how many inserts I want per brass tube. cut a little thicker than needed to run thru the sander these are cut into strips 1.5 inch wide by 6 inch long by however thick you decide. then I glue them up and clamp for 24 hrs. I then cut at a 22 degree angle. then I drill to fit the tube. there is some waste but they make small items like key chains and such.
ken
I also know its tough when they can't tell you what they want:confused:

Nancy Laird
08-23-2007, 5:38 PM
Bonnie, here is a quick and dirty drawing of how I'd do it.

Cut 1/2" x 1" x 5" strips of each wood. Glue them together in the order you want them to make a blank 4 x 5 x 1" thick (the hypotenuse of the triangle will be 6 inches). When thoroughly dry, cut your nearly 6" blank from one corner to the other, 1" wide. You'll end up with a 1x1 x5-1/2" blank with the woods diagonal.

This will probably give you the effect you are looking for.

Nancy (120 days)

Bonnie Campbell
08-23-2007, 6:51 PM
I was getting lost on the directions. Your diagram helped tons Nancy. I usually understand written directions. But as soon as there are numbers added.... I'm lost lol I think it's a mental block ;)

Y'all are so helpful! Thanks :)

Rich Souchek
08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Bonnie,
If you have not started, here is another set of instructions...
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/osbornesegpen.pdf
Rich S.

Bonnie Campbell
08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm a real bonehead at this stuff. But I think I got it figured. I'll start gluing tomorrow..... Once it's done (Lord willing!) I'll post a picture. No laughing at the results or everyones aluminum foil will be confiscated and the aliens WILL haul you away :eek: ;)

Paul Heely
08-24-2007, 6:57 AM
Just in case you didn't know, I think you need to be careful about your procedure when gluing up ebony. Things like glue immediately after cutting or wiping down with solvent just before gluing come to mind. I think the natural oils in ebony can cause gluing problems otherwise. I'm sure others who have glued up ebony can provide better details than I can.

Bonnie Campbell
08-24-2007, 8:10 AM
Should I be okay on the ebony if I wipe it down with acetone right before gluing? Or should I use DNA?

Brett Baldwin
08-24-2007, 2:25 PM
Acetone will evaporate quicker.

Bonnie Campbell
08-26-2007, 9:56 AM
Okay, got the blanks glued up. Now, do I drill them before slicing so they'll go together easier?