PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shop Notes....

Bill Huber
08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I am not sure I understand Shop Notes. Woodsmith and Workbench.

These are 3 different magazines, is this correct?

With Shop Notes do they have them on-line or is it just a paper copy in the mail? If I want to find info from an older issue I would have to buy the past volumes for $29 each per year.
Woodsmith and Workbench are different magazines. Of the 3 which should I get?

Phil Sanders
08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Depends on your skill, (newbie, hobbyist, advanced), the number of tools you have, and most important the amount of storage for jigs and fixtures you have; the name of the game is jigs and fixtures.

I know, I am just showing my age here, but I still think the best investment I ever made was to collect all of the issues of Woodsmith from #20 to #82 in hard copy. A lot of woodworking basics went in to those few issues.

The first spin off, Shop Notes, I never really got into. The early issues of Woodsmith, sometimes a project need a step explained a bit better, or a side issue on building a fixture detailed. These side issues in most magazines are called side-bars, in Woodsmith they were called Shop-Notes. The Shop-Notes in Woodsmith were expanded to cover just about anything related to a project. Expanding the concept, Shop Notes as a separate magazine was born and took on a life of its own.

I believe workbench is more focused on home improvement than hobby woodworking, but I could be wrong.

The August Home Publishing (printer of the magazines) has their own forum by the way.

Phil

Randal Stevenson
08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Around here (my local stores), Woodsmith appeared twice. Shopnotes is a standby, and Workbench is aimed at Harry Homeowner who gets started diying.

So I can't really talk about Woodsmith (any crossover with Shopnotes?)
Shopnotes is more jigs, tips, tricks and homemade tools. I got a gift subscription last year, and they offered previous years on a cd (I think they still do).
Workbench is everything from how to fix a leaky faucet, to build a one wall shop in your garage.
Take a look at your local library, see if they have any so you can look for free, then figure out which you want, that you don't have access to there (the library), start there. Keep into it, and you may end up with multiple subscriptions.

Lori Kleinberg
08-23-2007, 4:59 PM
I actually get all 3 magazines:o . I really like Shop notes (workshop projects)and Woodsmith (furniture and stuff)
is also very good. I will be letting my workbench subscription end. They have been focusing most of their articles on
home improvement.. Hope this helps.

Bill Huber
08-23-2007, 7:31 PM
Thank you all, I think I will start with Shop Notes and see how it goes.

Again Thanks for your time.

Randy Klein
08-23-2007, 7:34 PM
I actually get all 3 magazines:o . I really like Shop notes (workshop projects)and Woodsmith (furniture and stuff)
is also very good. I will be letting my workbench subscription end. They have been focusing most of their articles on
home improvement.. Hope this helps.

I second that.

Tom Veatch
08-23-2007, 9:17 PM
I believe workbench is more focused on home improvement than hobby woodworking, but I could be wrong.

That is correct! At least that was the case a couple of years ago when I let my Workbench subscription expire.

And I also like Shop Notes and Woodsmith very much. If I could only subscribe to two, they would be the choices