PDA

View Full Version : Help with Block Plane ID

Adriaan Schepel
08-23-2007, 8:27 AM
G'day guys.

I recently bought a low angle block plane (a la Stanley 60 1/2) on eBay. The price was good ($9 and another 110 block plane came with it) so I clicked the 'Buy It Now' button.

The plane has arrived intact, but now I'm not so sure of its I.D. I'm guessing it's probably 30 years old max. The blade reads "Stanley" (in notched rectangle) then below that "No. 60 1/2 P (13 060-A)" and below that "U.S.A."

There are no markings on the main body except for "Made in U.S.A." raised in the casting under where the depth adjustment is.

When you remove the front sliding portion of the sole, you find the markings "C 322" and "X 16" (cast in the body). On the underside of the lever cap is "C 2" and "C323".

The front knob appears to be nickel-plated metal, with some rust spots. Also, there are no markings at all on the depth adjustment knob.

Any clues? Is it a Stanley?

Cheers,
Adriaan

Clint Jones
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Its a newer 60 1/2 probably made in the 60's . Still a good plane for the money you paid. -Clint

Adriaan Schepel
08-23-2007, 5:02 PM
Thanks. That makes me feel a little better about the $41 shipping the seller charged.

Cheers,
Adriaan

Clint Jones
08-23-2007, 5:29 PM
Thanks. That makes me feel a little better about the $41 shipping the seller charged.

Cheers,
Adriaan Where did he ship it from? The moon? I sent a yankee push drill in a pretty large box to Aus. last week and it was only $15.

Adriaan Schepel
08-23-2007, 5:41 PM
If 'the Moon' is a territory of the United States, then the answer is yes.

Walt Quadrato
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Adriaan,

I realize you're quite a distance away but the USPS now has flat rate priority box shipping over seas...$37...weight limit I believe is 20 lbs...that's a lot of tools DAMHIKT...even at regular priority post the most it should have been is $20..

when ordering from the states always ask about flat rate shipping, you'll save some money.

that was a good price on the 60 1/2....like Clint said it's around 1960-1970 era....can't beat them...handiest block plane..

Walt Q

Adriaan Schepel
08-31-2007, 4:51 PM
Hi Walt.

Well, I did something silly and paid the price for it. I've bought lots of planes on eBay, and most of them I get shipped out in USPS Priority Mail Envelopes ($11). Haven't had a lost or damaged plane yet.

This guy had the planes listed as 'But-It-Now' for $10. I asked him for a postal quote and he was taking a while to get back to me, so I thought, "Gee, he can't charge too much for postage, can he?" So I clicked the button.

Pretty much as soon as I clicked it, his email came through invoicing me $41 for postage. Outrageous. I wrote back to him and asked if he could do the $11 Priority Envelope. But you know the answer. I even asked if he could do the $37 Flat Rate box. But you know the answer to that one as well.

Finally, I asked if he'd mind if I stacked another plane in there for the same price. He agreed, so I bought a No. 3 that he had on 'But It Now' as well.

So 3 planes shipped for $41. Expensive, and a lesson I don't intend to repeat.

Cheers,
Adriaan