PDA

View Full Version : Creekers who use AOL?

Brian Keith
08-23-2007, 2:22 AM
Are there any that use aol and if so are you able to view any of the wood whisperer videos? When I use AOL I cannot play any of his videos but when I am using Internet Explorer I view them just fine. Also no problem viewing through Youtube. I have about 7 other ww sites that I can view under AOL, it just seems this site wont let me. I contacted AOL tech today and he wasnt able to view the videos either so I dont think it my computer. Any feedback would be great Thanks.

Chuck Wintle
08-23-2007, 7:37 AM
Have you thought of changing your ISP? Maybe AOL need to update their browser so that you can view these videos. :)

Stephen Beckham
08-23-2007, 9:37 AM
See - I was going to state a joke that I once heard about "...Windows finally got rid of the largest virus to infect all new computers... AOL" but I didn't want it to sound bad... Besides - everybody knows that Windows 98 was the largest virus ever distributed...:D

Unfortunately my wife still uses AOL... Since we opened our account a couple months after it came out (before it even had the WWW access). I think she believes it's like stock that's growing in value...?!?!?

Seriously - she does have problems with videos and such. The only way I've been able to get her to get around that was to open and connect with AOL, minimze AOL and then open a regular IE window and surf that way...

Good luck!!!

Bob Childress
08-23-2007, 3:39 PM
Any feedback would be great Thanks.

[Disclaimer: Yes, I have an affiliation with AOL. My SIL's sister is married to the number 2 guy at AOL. I still don't like it. :D ]

Nancy Laird
08-23-2007, 3:53 PM
Get another ISP - a REAL ISP. MSN, ATT, ComCast, Charter.net, BellSouth - all of them are good and won't give you a hassle like AOL does--like the way they will cut you off the 'net after you've been on for a certain amount of time to "make room" for someone else---that's a PITA if you're in the middle of composing an e-mail or a post here.

BUT---if you decide to get rid of AOL and go with another ISP, MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE PERSON YOU TALK TO WHEN YOU CANCEL THE AOL (for future reference when you have to call them back multiple times to clean up your credit-card account). They have a nasty habit of neglecting to stop billing when they stop providing service. LOML took 7 months to get the billing stopped when his "free" six-month trial with AOL ran out and he told them to cut him off. I don't think that CS and Accounting ever talk to each other.

There ARE reasons why people call it A-O-xxxL!

Nancy (120 days)

Gary Keedwell
08-23-2007, 7:29 PM
Are there any that use aol and if so are you able to view any of the wood whisperer videos? When I use AOL I cannot play any of his videos but when I am using Internet Explorer I view them just fine. Also no problem viewing through Youtube. I have about 7 other ww sites that I can view under AOL, it just seems this site wont let me. I contacted AOL tech today and he wasnt able to view the videos either so I dont think it my computer. Any feedback would be great Thanks.
Yea, me too, I have AOL and can't get the Wood Whisperer. I'vr only been online for under 4 years and everybody tells me to get rid of it. ( including LOML)
Gary K.

Curt Harms
08-24-2007, 5:39 AM
I found myself using AOL for a little while when I was out of the country and AOL was available locally. I just dialed up using AOL's software, minimized it as soon as it connected, opened a real browser (netscape/firefox) and was happy, the solution others have suggested. This was a few years ago before AOL imploded financially. I guess I was lucky, I had no problem canceling the service though I only used it about a week.

HTH

Curt

Brian Keith
08-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Time Warner bought AOL and I also have Road Runner so I dont have to use AOL. I would stop using it completely but I have had this e-mail for years. Im just going to start using IE for now. Thanks Brian

Michael Schwartz
08-25-2007, 3:08 AM
Get rid of AOL (if they will let you) and get a decent broadband connection. Check with your local pone and cable companys as to the availability of DSL or Cable.

Don't use the AOL Browser, download Firefox on windows, or use Safari on a Mac. The AOL browser is obsolete.

A word of advice, Keep your email separate from your ISP. That way one you move from one to another you don't have to notify all your contacts, keep both accounts for a while, and go through all that BS. Get a free account from Gmail or something and stick with that.

Curt Harms
08-25-2007, 3:52 AM
<snip>

A word of advice, Keep your email separate from your ISP. That way one you move from one to another you don't have to notify all your contacts, keep both accounts for a while, and go through all that BS. Get a free account from Gmail or something and stick with that.

Good advice on the email address. I haven't really paid attention, but doesn't AOL now allow having AOL email addresses without having AOL's online services? I seem to remember something about that.

HTH

Curt

Bruce Page
08-25-2007, 10:41 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: AOL!:eek: :eek: :eek:
I tried them years ago. Like Nancy, I had a hard time getting their hooks out of my CC.

David G Baker
08-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Michael,
I have used Yahoo for my E-mail since the day it became available. I can get my E-mail from anywhere I travel. I have had 5 ISPs and haven't had to worry about loosing my saved addresses, changing E-mail addresses and can block E-mail from anyone that I do not want to get mail from.
I also have a G-mail address and have mail forwarded to my Yahoo address. Both are great.

Chuck Wintle
08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Its interesting that AOL figures so prominently as an entity people don't like to do business with. I started with AOL and had a hard time getting rid of them. In fact they went out of their way to thwart every attempt of mine to cancel. As soon as I mentioned the word "cancel my account" the customer service person would throw another free month at me. Finally I had had enough and firmly insisted my account be canceled.:mad:

David G Baker
08-25-2007, 6:37 PM
My son had AOL for a few months, got laid off and couldn't afford the service. He gave them a call and told them he wanted to cancel the service, AOL begged him to stay and offered him a free month so he stayed. At the end of the month he called them again to cancel, they offered him another month free. He kept this for about 6 month before they got wise. He got at least 5 months of free AOL service.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-25-2007, 6:49 PM
I had AOL and called to switch to the no cost plan when the service was first announced. No problems. I, also, had it for years and didn't want to change email addresses. I still use it for some purposes (like the radio feature) and 3 email accounts. I use Firefox & IE for everything else. I'm satisfied with this setup.