PDA

View Full Version : What can you use particle board for?

David Klug
01-26-2004, 5:15 PM
After using particle board for flooring in a couple bathroom remodels I have a few small pieces left over, about 2'x6' and 3'x3'x5/8" ect. What type of projects could they be used on? I don't know what the strength value of particle board is, so I'm not really sure what I can use it for. Any suggestions or information about what I can use it for would be appreciated. TIA

DK

Carl Eyman
01-26-2004, 6:14 PM
What can you use it for? Making reproductions of junk furniture. Nothing else I know of.

Mark Singer
01-26-2004, 7:09 PM
junk !

Joe Suelter
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Watch Trading Spaces/While you were out? Fine furniture according to them! 8>)

Ron Meadows
01-27-2004, 7:45 AM
Only time I ever use particle board is as a substrate for laminate counter tops on low to mid level kitchens.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Ron

Todd Burch
01-27-2004, 8:14 AM
You can use it in the shop for jig material. It's good for backer material when you need a spacer of sorts. It's worthy of being used to back up a drill bit when drilling a hole to avoid splintering. It's fine for a shop cabinet bottom or shelf, as long as you don't exceed it's span rating. You could use it to set items on you are painting or finishing or spraying. And, there are probably dozens of other uses where you could use it where you might otherwise have to use an higher-cost material and it will never be seen.

I would not store it for 3 years before you got around to using though.

Todd

Glenn Clabo
01-27-2004, 8:47 AM
Disposable pooper scoopers?

John Miliunas
01-27-2004, 9:37 AM
Screw them into the wall studs in your shop or garage and it will give you all the area in between to screw in hangers for odds 'n ends. Don't know that I'd hang anything real heavy, but handy for the lighter stuff. I use longer OSB drops that way in my shop, as the "old section" is 24"oc and it works great. :cool:

Chris Padilla
01-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Summer Baltzer from Design on a Dime made two ottomans with hinged lids out of it; she pre-drilled nail holes and glued the panel. They were nicely covered in foam/fabric but I think one careless opening of that lid and those screws will rip right out and don't even think of sitting or standing on those things too often. Still, they came in at $999 for their budget... :o

:D

Kurt Aebi
02-02-2004, 1:05 PM
I use scraps of particle board or meduim Density Fiberboard for shop jigs all the time, just give them a coat or 2 of shelac to help preserve them and they work fine.