PDA

View Full Version : router shank size

Steven Triggs
08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
How important do you think router bit shank size is? I pretty much always buy 1/2" shank bits. I just noticed, however, that Amazon currently has the Freud dovetail Incra jig bit set for $63.37 in 1/4" shanks vs. $109.99 in 1/2" shanks. Normally, prices aren't so varied, so it is an easy call. But with this much of a price spread, I'm just wondering if it is worth it to get the 1/2".

Thoughts?

Greg Funk
08-23-2007, 1:11 AM
How important do you think router bit shank size is? I pretty much always buy 1/2" shank bits. I just noticed, however, that Amazon currently has the Freud dovetail Incra jig bit set for $63.37 in 1/4" shanks vs. $109.99 in 1/2" shanks. Normally, prices aren't so varied, so it is an easy call. But with this much of a price spread, I'm just wondering if it is worth it to get the 1/2".

Thoughts?
I don't know about the Incra jigs but for the Leigh dovetail jigs the 8mm shanked bits work much better than the 1/4" bits. Personally I'd stay away from the 1/4" if you can.

Greg

Craig Thompson
08-23-2007, 1:21 AM
2nd that emotion... 1/2 inch only in my shop, ESPECIALLY when dovetailing drawers through a jig.

Steven Triggs
08-23-2007, 1:47 AM
Why? What is the downside of 1/4"?

Thanks.

Jason Beam
08-23-2007, 2:09 AM
Vibration is one of the biggest ones - those teeny shafts tend to chatter quite a bit.

Craig Thompson
08-23-2007, 2:19 AM
Vibration is one of the biggest ones - those teeny shafts tend to chatter quite a bit.

And the chatter can ultimately break the shank... I have holes in the wall to prove it.... I had a late night stupidity situation a couple months back, nicked up one of my good bits on the edge of my PC OmniJig. Only store still open was one of those big box stores, only DT bits they had were 1/4". It busted within 10 drawers, called it a night,,, the following morning sent one of the guys for a few more real bits.

From my perspective, SAFETY overrules the price of the 1/4" bits. Granted safest would be that CNC drawer mill I've been eyeing, but dreams will have to be dreams for now.

Chuck Nickerson
08-23-2007, 2:57 AM
I have broken three 1/4" shank bits. I have yet to break a 1/2".

scott spencer
08-23-2007, 5:17 AM
I have broken three 1/4" shank bits. I have yet to break a 1/2".

Only two 1/4" shanks busted for me....1/2" shanks - zero

Jim Becker
08-23-2007, 11:11 AM
1/2" shank cutters have four times the metal in them. No question, use them when you can. And 8mm is a great alternative to 1/4" for things like dovetailing where you need a thinner shank for clearance but would like more strength.

John Thompson
08-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I won't use 1/4" anymore unless it is just some speciality bit that would be used seldom and I happen to have or not available in 1/2". And for the reasons already given. 22,000 rpm is a lot of force if something breaks and gets launched. The 1/4" cannot withstand the force the way the 1/2" can as the guys have mentioned.

Most of us are in the same boat. We buy a cheap "set" of router bits from necessity starting out and they usually come in 1/4". But.. we learn from experience that the 1/2" is the safer route by far and better suited.

A good solution is to figure out which bits you use most frequently and replace with 1/2" in a known quaility brand as you need them to keep cost down. I think you will find that you will find the list of most used to be much shorter than you originally imagined.

My most used is round-overs and straights. I replaced them long ago with 1/2" and then added an over-head pattern bit.. etc. etc. along the way till I have almost all 1/2" bits at this point. And I won't skimp on the brand quality. Bad metal is bad metal and I never want to experience sharpnel again as I still have about 4 pieces in my back from long ago and a land far away. Shrapenl can be hazardous to your health.

Regards...

Sarge..

Matt Moore
08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
1/2 only for me.

Michael Schwartz
08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
1/2 bits are also better at dissipating heat.

I only use 1/4" bits when the 1/4" bit is either the only one available, or the only bit that will do the job. I personaly have not had a 1/4" bit break but I was in a shop standing 15 feet away fom one that did :eek:

Raymond Fries
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I started buying ony 1/2" sometime back. However, I just bought my Incra Super Fence on closeout, I also bought a 6 piece set of Whiteside bits for the jig at half price with it.

Incra's site says this 6 piece set has smaller geometry bits for smaller projects. Apparently these sizes and shapes are not available in 1/2" shank. This was my first dovetail purchase and they seemed OK for smaller projects. I do have some smaller projects planned. I have not used them yet and the table and router plate are on order.

Now you guys got me worried :confused: that they will not be OK. I really am a safety guy.

Has anyone used this set and broken one?
Has anyone broken a bit on smaller scale work? Or was the breakage on large dovetails such as dresser drawers?

Steve Clardy
08-23-2007, 1:14 PM
I don't buy kits/sets in router bits.

I buy what I need, usually in 1/2" shank.

But I still buy a few 1/4" shank for my trim routers that have only a 1/4" collet.

John Thompson
08-24-2007, 8:30 AM
I started buying ony 1/2" sometime back. However, I just bought my Incra Super Fence on closeout, I also bought a 6 piece set of Whiteside bits for the jig at half price with it.

Incra's site says this 6 piece set has smaller geometry bits for smaller projects. Apparently these sizes and shapes are not available in 1/2" shank. This was my first dovetail purchase and they seemed OK for smaller projects. I do have some smaller projects planned. I have not used them yet and the table and router plate are on order.

Now you guys got me worried :confused: that they will not be OK. I really am a safety guy.

Has anyone used this set and broken one?
Has anyone broken a bit on smaller scale work? Or was the breakage on large dovetails such as dresser drawers?

Morning Raymond..

If ya got em.. ya got em and I would use them as I do use an odd 1/4" here and there that I already have and know the usage will be limited to that "every blue moon" occasion.

But.. I believe the key to using them with less risk is not making the mistake of "taking too big of a bite". In other words... "nibble at the cheese to avoid the trap". Hitting a knot or snaky grain in some hardwood such as curly or birds-eye maple creates more resistive force. That force can be countered by reduction of the depth of pass or what I refer to as "sneaking up on it" with successive light passes.

And BTW.. I personally think that this theory applies to larger shank 1/2' also.Just cause you got more metal in a 1/2" shank doesn't mean that "too big of a bite" cannot shatter a component of the cutting head.. blade profile.. bearing.. etc. So.... all things should be considered.

Regards...

Sarge..

Mike Goetzke
08-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Sure wish my Colt took 1/2" bits - I know they probably don't because someone would try spinning a 3-1/2" dia. raised pane bit.

Mike

Rick Gibson
08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
My first router only took 1/4 inch bits. The first bits were cheap ones and as I found out about the difference in quality they were been gradually replaced with good quality bits. When I saved enough for a decent router I specifically looked for 1/2 inch shank capability as one criteria. Now I only buy 1/2 inch shank bits unless the one I need can not be obtained in 1/2 inch. ie. 1/4 inch spiral bits. Never seen on with a 1/2 inch shank. They may be out there but I haven't seen them.