PDA

View Full Version : Where do you change you oil?

Gary Keedwell
08-22-2007, 11:23 PM
LOML has a Honda Civic for over a year. A Honda dealer has been changing her oil exclusively. She asked me today if it was a good idea to let one of those "quick oil change places" service her car. My biggest concern is the oil filters they use to replace her Honda filter. Is there anything to worry about? Anything?

Gary K.

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Gary,

I get my oil changed at the dealership where I get my vehicles serviced. This way I am comfortable that they will use the proper filters/oil and know my vehicles from past experiences. There's nothing like a little "piece of mind" when it comes to ones vehicles.
Besides, the charge for the oil change is almost exactly the same as it would be at a local quick lube shop.

Rich Engelhardt
08-23-2007, 6:35 AM
Hello,

At one time (~1987) I managed one of the 10 min oil change shops.
I worked for the one that starts with a "V".
My brother in law - the normal one - has managed one of the 10 min oil change shops (the one that starts with an "L") since ~ 1992.

They both use quality components that are at the same level as the OEM uses. In many cases, their components exceed OEM specs. In many other cases, they use OEM components - we at the "V" used to buy cases of Honda oil filters from the Honda dealer.

If you're concerned about the filter used, the simple answer is to buy the filter from Honda, and have the quick lube place put it on for you. We did that frequently for customers. IIRC, there was a $4.00 credit given for a customer furnished oil filter.

In the "pit" where the filters were stocked, we went to great pains to reduce any potential claims. Dropped filters were destroyed, rather than risk any potential damage to a customer's vehicle/a claim against the store.
Mind you, the reason had more to do with the bonus structure than it did concerns of quality of service. Pay was fairly low, but the monthly bonus could be ample.
The bonus was tied to:
- man hours vs car count.
- $$ amount of supplies used (shop towels and other "consumables").
- inventory variance - (we did a weekly inventory of supplies - the destroyed filters counted against the inventory, so there was an incentive to take a lot of care of the components.)
- claims against the store, the area and the region.
- discretionary "spot checks" of the store by the area &/or regional manager(s) to insure corporate guidelines for store cleanliness and company procedures were being adhered to.

Claims were the biggie. Claims affected the entire region. One "fried engine" or even a "dry start" (where some numb skull has the vehicle start prior to checking to make sure they actually put oil in) in the area by one of the stores counted against everyone in the area - in my case, it was ~ 8 stores at the time. The store that goofed up took it the hardest, followed by the area manager, then the district manager, the finally all the employees in the area & to a lesser extent the region.
Claims were also spread out over a years time, so a "hit" affected your bonus for the entire year. @ the time, most of my crew of 5 were making an hourly wage slightly above minimum wage. their monthly bonus checks were often double what their monthly pay checks totaled up to.

On a corporate level, quality of component standards were adhered to very strictly due to Magnuson-Moss Act implications. The skinny on MM is that as long as a third party supplies service/components that meet or exceed OEM, then warranty coverage is unaffected. If a vendor requires the use of OEM services or components for warranty, then that vendor must furnish them at no cost.

IOW - if Honda were to require you to have your oil changed at the dealer and use only Honda filters and Honda oil, then they are required by law to do it for free. Since MM ""flowed" from the top of the company down, and affected the entire company, the "Big "V" " took strong measures to insure that the quality of the components were OEM spec or better.

Now - having said all of that - and being someone that changes oil ~ 4 times more than the average person (my Honda's and prior to that my Sentra's were/are on about a 3 week oil change rotation - - I drive a LOT!).
My Honda's all go to the Honda dealer for oil changes.
Why?
$$$ - it's cheaper & more thorough. I buy a two packages of 10 oil changes at a time. They change the oil, run the vehicle through the car wash and hook it up to the diagnostic equipment.

That plus I don't have to listen to the "sales pitch" of why I should have my air filter changed, my trans drained and filled, my A/C serviced etc, etc.

Also - the Honda dealer employs Honda factory trained technicians $ service people. They know Honda - and they know what to look for as far as individual "quirks". (My 2004 Odyssey EX - L for instance is a known "battery eater". In the 3 1/2 years I had it, it "ate" 3 batteries - all of which except the first were caught by a savvy tech - and replaced under warranty - despite the vehicle being way over in miles - @ 55K/70K and 89K).

Bottom line I guess is that it's not the quality of components used, it's the quality of the people at the establishment.

And - Yes - the "fast lube" places do have a considerable number of high quality/highly trained people. (they also have their drudges too). Quite a few of my fellow "V" employees were ASE mechanics that simply wanted out of the "rat race" &/or wanted to move into a management position that simply wasn't possible for a typical "grease monkey".

HTH alleviate some concerns.

Tim Brooks
08-23-2007, 7:35 AM
Stay away from the quick lube places. In Charleston, SC, the people they hire are completely incompetent! I do all my own oil changes and I can do them considerably cheaper than anyone in town with quality products. I trust my work. A mechanic has to work very hard to earn my trust having grown up a mechanic's son.

I also think the dealership is way over priced and their turn around time is completely unacceptable.

Now all this said I'm certain there are many who disagree with me on both fronts but this is my two cents. I also understand not all are mechanically inclined or simply don't want to waste their time doing it. I use the same philosophy when cutting my lawn with a riding mower rather than a push mower. I have other things to do on my Saturdays than mow my 1/4 acre :eek: all day long. This is one reason those places exist--just do your homework to be certain you are receiving the service for which you are paying.

Be blessed!

Joe Pelonio
08-23-2007, 8:01 AM
I used to change my own oil, in fact did it for 35 years. The hassle of taking back the used oil and the mess eventually caused me me look around. Our fast local lube and oil place charges $39, which is way too high. A local chain tire center charges $19.95 and sometimes has a special for $12.95. I can't buy decent oil and filter for that, so that's where we've been going until
I bought my new truck. That one, while on warranty at least, is going to the dealer. They charge $29.95 but include a free 30 point inspection and car wash.

John Schreiber
08-23-2007, 8:39 AM
Hello,

At one time (~1987) I managed one of the 10 min oil change shops.
I worked for the one that starts with a "V".
My brother in law - the normal one - has managed one of the 10 min oil change shops (the one that starts with an "L") since ~ 1992. . . .
Rich, Thanks for the view from the inside. Very interesting.

I've often been impressed with the guys at my quick change place. They have much more spirit and desire than at my dealership. There I always feel like I'm an inconvenience to them.

Al Willits
08-23-2007, 8:49 AM
We used to go to the "V" one, and I'm sure there's ones where the employee's do a good job, but we found the two in our area didn't do several of the checks they were charging for, I now take the truck to the dealer, cheaper price and they did the checks they were charging for...I watched from the waiting room a couple of times.

The wife's new Altima has free oil changes from the Nissan dealer so that's a given on that.

Al

Anthony Anderson
08-23-2007, 8:55 AM
I have tried the quick lube places two times, and both times have been disappointed. First time went a chain to get the special, just a basic oil change. I got the car back and it was now missing, sputtering while driving down the road, IIRC, there was a nick taken out of the spark plug wire. The lube shop also, just happened to be able to "take care" of that as they were also a mechanic shop. I declined and put on a new set of wires, and never went back. A few years later I didn't have time to change the oil, different car this time, I took it to the "V" as referred to earlier. They tried to sell me everything under the sun including the sun. I declined everything, and stated, in a nice way, that I just wanted my oil changed. The next time I decided to change my own oil. I found that the "V" place stripped the oil drain hole. The oil pan was NOT aluminum, it was a steel pan. I am not saying that this was done on purpose b/c I didn't buy all the extras which they tried to sell me, but it was highly suspicious. I will never go back to a "quick lube" as they have turned out to cost me more time and effort than they are worth. These were commuter cars, which I drove so I would not run up high miles on new cars. I just change the oil in these cars myself now. I would never take a new car to a quick lube. We have a great Toyota dealer here which has a great service asst. manager that is a great person to work with. They can change the oil on any type of car, and I can trust them. Find a good dealer and work with them. Bill

Kyle Kraft
08-23-2007, 9:02 AM
Heres one for(?) the dealer. I take my truck to a local Chrysler dealer for oil changes and the "21 point check" which includes a chassis lube. My truck actually has ball joints and tie rod ends with real grease fittings!! Well, after the last one I was crawling around under the vehicle and just happened to check the fittings to see the nice fresh gob of grease on the fittings and guess what?....they had 10,000 miles worth of dirt on them. Next time I'll crawl under in the dealers service bay and check on the spot. I think I'll ask them what method they use to lube the chassis as there is no fresh grease or even wiped off fittings to be seen.

Jack Morrow
08-23-2007, 9:38 AM
I'm a big fan of DIY! I can change my oil in less time than I can drive to and from the dealership. I always have plenty of filters and oil on hand. I'm always prepared in that regard.

After a vehicle gets 15 or 20K on it, I always take an oil sample and send it for analysis. That way, I can find the proper change interval and potentially, catch a problem in its initial stages.

I use a 5 gallon can for storage of used oil and to take it back for recycling.

I also use vacuum to suck the oil from the crankcase. It's so much easier. This is the method that all Mercedes dealers now use. This method will not work on GM V-8s.

Now. I'm sorry, but I don't trust my oil changes to the guys in the lube pit. 99% do a great job. But, I've never fared well in games of chance.

Happy Motoring,

Jack

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Here in NJ we just pull the car over to some place near a body of water and drain the oil out in that. It gets rid of the oil very efficiently. One minute there is oil and the next it's gone poof like magic..

Then we toss the old filter in the water too, put in a new one, and re-fill with fresh clean oil and we are on our way.

It's the best system ever~!!

Jim Becker
08-23-2007, 10:49 AM
The dealer changes our oil. I don't have the time nor inclination to do it, nor is waste oil disposal "convenient" for me. For the $23 bucks or so they charge, it's a nice deal and I get free breakfast at Perkins across the street as well as free Internet so I can work from the dealership's waiting room. It's no hassle and since it's only done every 5K miles...an infrequent occurrence with us since our mileage is 10-12K per year per vehicle.

And like Dennis, I'm more comfortable knowing it's done right and with the correct materials...especially with the two hybrid vehicles that we own.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Well...I do both. My company car goes to the local nationwide super duper quick lube and our Honda goes to the dealership. The dealership is actually cheaper and since I gave them a slightly less than stellar rating they've quit trying to stongarm my wife into getting 49,000,000 other things taken care of at the end of the visit. I actually like taking it to the dealer better for reasons others have stated.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Isn't that what they do with bodies too?

I usually change my own, except when I'm too busy or when it is bitter cold, then we use the quick oil change. I've had the dealer do it too, but the price was ridiculous, they needed the car for a couple hours, and the car came back with a list of things I needed to do which included:

- worn tires (they were new within the last month)
- fuel filter needed changing because it was rusty (I had changed it not two months before)

Like Jack said, I can do it quicker than driving somewhere. I bought a set of ramps which saves even more time and I write all the pertinant information somewhere under the hood with a paint marker--filter #, wrench size, capacity.

I also use a 5 gallon bucket (an old paint bucket with a nice big screw cap) and just take it to either Tractor Supply or one of the chain auto parts stores for disposal. Unless I'm planning to go to New Jersey :D

Chuck Wintle
08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I get all my car maintenance/repairs done at a small local garage run by two brothers. They are fast and not expensive. For instance, last winter my car failed to start as the battery had died on a Monday. My Honda dealer told me they could not take the car before Wednesday. I called this small garage and they tokk it right away. They even came and towed it from my parking lot back to their garage. So for service and price these guys are hard to beat!:D

Randal Stevenson
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I change my own, and my mom either uses the dealer, or has my father or myself do it.
I wrenched with the family mechanic for a few years when he was short handed, and got to see a few vehicles come in directly from those quick lube places. I also had a coworker who told me about the quick lube joint where he worked.

My boss (MALE) uses one, and TIPS high, so they don't push stuff on him.
But what I know about
Not tightening the plugs, stripping the plugs. In one case sending a NEW vehicle out without oil.
Not changing filters (especially on those vehicles you have to open the hood on)
Selling someones wife, on a job, that we did two days before (and claiming the new parts were theirs, but they couldn't find the old ones) (husband had it done, wife knew it was needed and was trying to be nice, it was leaf spring replacement, due to a cracked spring).
Running out of new oil and using oil out of the recycle bucket.
Charging a lady for a radiator flush and fill on her late husbands 60's model bug.
Charging for an undone oil change (the plug was painted prior to going there).
Overcharging ($60 for two wiper blades, the friends ql joint used to have internal contests to see who could get most).
These are what I know about, doesn't even cover the stuff that makes news every year (you can find via You Tube).
My advice, you don't want to do it, stick to the dealer ESPECIALLY if your wife is doing it (Women averaged a much higher bill at our local ql places).

Kent Fitzgerald
08-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I usually change mine in the driveway. It doesn't really save any time or money, but I check out a few other things while I'm under the car, and I give it a long, thorough drain while I do some other house or yard work. The job (usually) gets done right, and if it doesn't (say, leaving the oil cap off :eek: ) I have no one to blame but myself :mad: . Maybe I'm wierd, but I like getting my hands oily every once in a while. And my 5 y.o. loves rides on the mechanic's creeper.

I think it's impossible to generalize whether "a Honda dealer" is better than "one of those quick oil change places." Some dealership shops are great and some, IME, are terrible. I've personally had good luck with quick-lube places, but I've heard the horror stories as well.

If your dealer service is convient, competent, and reasonably priced, stick with them. If not, shop around the way you would for any other business.

Steve Clardy
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I've always done all of my own service work. Mechanical included.

I worked in the trucking industry for many years, so naturally did my own work.

Well. With the acception of auto transmission work.
Which my 98 Lariat is at the transmission shop right now. [Long story]

Ken Garlock
08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I have all the service on my M/B C280 done by the dealer. After the warranty period was over, I started supplying my one oil, Amsoil 100% synthetic. The service rep said they they have several customers that supply their own oil. Last year Amsoil introduced a new oil that meets the new European performance specs set up by BMW, VW, and M/B.

Why didn't I use Amsoil from the get go? I wanted to extra sure that I followed the M/B way of doing things while in warranty, so I let the dealer supply the oil. As it turned out, they used Valvoline part synthetic.

On my wife's Buick and our F150, I get them done at the local Pennzoil "drive though" while I watch.

Gary Keedwell
08-23-2007, 6:50 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Loml is gonna try the quikie place down the street. I think it is affiliated with Mobil. She said she waited too long at the Honda dealer and it cost $70.
She also was there when this "nice old lady" in the waiting room was told by the service manager that she needed a new "timing chain" for $600. She said OK, so my LOML asked her if she had alot of miles on her car. The "nice old lady" said the car wasn't very old and didn't have many miles on it. My wife didn't want to upset the "nice old lady" so she didn't say anything but came home and vented the episode to me.:eek: :D :)
These things really do happen to unsuspecting people. Glad my wife is automobile savvy.
Gary K.

Mike Henderson
08-23-2007, 7:48 PM
I used to change my own oil, as well as all repairs on my vehicles. Over time, I just lost interest in doing the work - it was no fun to work on the car - just dirty work. Now I take my cars to the dealer and have been very satisfied with their work. I'm sure it's very dealer dependent - some good, some bad.

One thing I would do if I had any questions about the dealer was to check the bill which listed the work done and then check one item. Maybe they said they flushed the brake fluid. While the guy was going over the car with me, I'd open the hood, take the cap off the master cylinder, and check to see that the fluid was new (clear with no dirt in it). I never found a problem, but if I did, I would have gone over every item claimed before I paid, and would never go back.

Mike

glenn bradley
08-23-2007, 7:58 PM
My Civic is still under warranty and the Jiffy-Guys seemed confused about the oil requirement on the 2007 (don't know about earlier years). I take it to the dealer who is only about $5 more than the Quicky-Guys.

Jesse Espe
08-23-2007, 9:39 PM
Gary, I drive a '90 Integra. I change my own oil. I used to exclusively use Honda filters from the dealer, until one day I looked at who made it: Fram. I don't even bother to go to the dealer anymore.

Cheers,
Jesse

Gary Keedwell
08-23-2007, 9:59 PM
Gary, I drive a '90 Integra. I change my own oil. I used to exclusively use Honda filters from the dealer, until one day I looked at who made it: Fram. I don't even bother to go to the dealer anymore.

Cheers,
Jesse
Jesse,
That's funny. I used to change my own oil for more years then I want to remember. Always went to Toyota Dealer for my filters. I'd buy 6 at a time. (This is our first Honda) They always said that they have a valve in the filter that used to open quick when you start your engine to lubricate everything so it wouldn't run dry. That"s what got me paranoid about filters.:rolleyes:
Gary K.

Michael Lutz
08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
We take our 4-runner to the local Toyota Dealer since the price is less than the local quick lube place and will until the warranty is up. I used to do the oil on the Civic, but since my son Trouble was born, I haven't had the time to do it. So it goes to the quick lube place or the local garage if we need to have something else done on it. I may start taking it to the Honda dealer, since I was impressed with the service I received for changeing the Civics tires. The Dakota typically goes to the quick lube when we remember or notice it needs oil. It is only used infrequently.

Mike

Bryan Rocker
08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
When I was young and didn't have the finances to afford it I did it myself. Once I rotated back from germany and bought a new Ford Ranger I have taken it to the local V store. My satisfaction led to taking my 2004 4-Runner. The only issue I have EVER had was one filter came out of the box WITHOUT an O-ring. I got a few miles down the road and my oil light came on. I easily justify taking it to the V service places. My time is worth money not to mention the hassle of getting rid of the oil. Not to mention the fact that when I am on the road my wife has a known good place to get the trucks serviced should she need to.

Rob Wright
08-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Dealer Service only:
We have two VW diesels that require a special oil ($10 per liter) and can only get it through mail order or at the vw service department that meets the 505.01 criteria (castrol no longer makes 5w40 spec 505.01) We only need to change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals and at the time of oil changes, we need to replace the fuel filter, and replace/clean/drain/ the fuel-water separator. The maintenance also requires that the fuel system be re-pressurized after the filter being removed. Kind of a pain. However, after looking at the fact that most people may have gone through 3 and a 1/3 oil chnages when we do just one - the $90 doesn't seem so bad to have it done at the dealer. Nice waiting room, I am there for 45 minutes, and get to read the paper!

-Rob

Greg Crawford
08-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Try googleing the quick place you're interested in. One national chain that starts with a J has page after page after page of complaints.

John Mihich
08-24-2007, 1:31 AM
I use to do my own work - getting rid of the oil is a hasle now so I go to a local "D" of "O". They see me 12 times a year (3 cars - 4 times each). So they know not to give me a sells pitch. I had to remind them the first few times but after that they got the message. This place has done a good job for me with no comlaints. My wife took the car in the last time and they didn't try to sell her anything either - they recognized the name. I pay a bit over $20 but for me it's worth it.

Tim Brooks
08-24-2007, 7:39 AM
One more thing...

I'm afraid some of you are making some dangerous assumptions. Just because you have a dealership do any type of work for you doesn't mean the job is being done properly. You need to know your mechanic! Dealerships hire people who don't know what they are doing too. Book knowledge (CSE certification) is not application knowledge. For instance, I can know all about how your table saw is assembled but still have no idea why that pulley turns the other (possibly a bad example but you get the idea). In other words, knowing how is not knowing why and with my car I want the mechanic to know both! I'm not saying all mechanics are incompetent but there are many who do not have a clue.

Al Willits
08-24-2007, 9:03 AM
I think it would be safe to say that there's good and bad no matter whether they're a dealer or not, that's why I watched them at the dealer do my oil changes till I was satisfied.

There's also the problem of different people doing it at the same place, some of them may be good and some not so good.

Considering it is a pain to jack up the wife's car, then put jack stands under it, drain the oil and change the filter, take the stands out, fill the engine with oil and then check for leaks, then drive over to the local gas station to dispose of the oil, I have found the dealer is not only easier, but quicker.

I think where ever you go, you need to be cautious and pay attention to what's going on.
After twice at the "V" place and suspecting items weren't checked, I tried to stand close enough to watch, they didn't want me to and said to wait in the car or in the waiting room.
Muttered something about insurance.

That was the last time I went there

Al....buyer beware.