PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing Battery Powered Respirator....

Caleb Dietrich
08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello,

I'm looking into the options for a battery powered air filtration system. Please give any feedback. It needs to be able to work 8-10 hours a day, and be comfortable.

I work in a small, 2 person, cabinet shop. We have a great dust collection system, and a decent air filtration, but nothing can really keep up with the shapers, tablesaw, routers, palm sander ect...
I wear a respirator, but not as much as I should...especially when it's hot.

I do spray paint as well, but don't mind wearing the respirator I have for that.

Thanks for any help.

Nathan Conner
08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Hey, Caleb. I have the Triton Powered Respirator - it's been pretty incredible.

It's quiet, blows cool air over your face, and has a sort of "chip guard" that sits very low on your neck, almost to your shoulders. It takes a bit to figure out how to put it on quickly, but 5 or 6 times, and you have it. Your movement feels very unrestricted while wearing it, and it's got a huge viewing area. It also has removable hearing protection that's comfortable and very quiet.

No complaints about it so far. I know you can get an extra battery for it, but I've never used it for more than 2 hours at a stretch. The battery belt itself is comfy, and the hose goes down your back, so it stays out of your way. Because the fan is so far away from your head, you can hardly hear it at all.

It's the best respirator I've ever used, and I've had some issues with ventilation and allergies to woods, and this has allayed all my problems.

The single complaint I have is that the face shield is really large, but hard to keep clean. It seems to get static-y, and after an hour in heavy dust environment, you need to either have something to clean it, or remove it and clean it off. There's not a tear-off cover or anything for instant clean, but I doubt that's necessary. Rubbing dusty cloths or hands over it clears it a little, but not enough.

I've used it for spraying, media and sand blasting, all sorts of sanding, and even turning. It works like a champ, and I've had it probably a year without any problems. Bright yellow, easy to find in the shop, good reminder to put it on.

I do leave it charging every night after I'm finished with it, but I've never had the battery even hiccup.

I did some research, and for the $200 or so this cost, it was easily the best in my range, but I'm sure there may be others out there.

Good luck.

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-23-2007, 6:57 AM
I also have the Triton, and I agree with Nathan on all his points. I don' t recharge nightly, perhaps I should. I just use it until it starts to run down then recharge. To have replacement batteries, you actually need a second motor unit as the batteries are not removable. A second unit runs about $80 on Amazon the last time I looked.

I really appreciate the integrated hearing protection, makes long days in the noisy shop much easier on the ears.

Cheers,
James

Bill Neely
08-23-2007, 7:26 AM
I have a question or two. I recall reading a review a few years ago where the reviewer stated that the air hose was too stiff - pushed the helmet around or made it uncomfortable in some way. Can't recall exactly, is that still an issue? Doesn't make the neck tired?

I had the old 3M face shield type respirator (like the Trend) and it felt uncomfortable to me working around the shop. I think it would be different standing at a lathe.

What I've been using for about a year and a half is the Air Cap from Woodcraft. Great idea, mostly comfortable but fragile. If I hear that they've solved the hose problem I'll be buying a Triton I suppose.

I have an airline respirator I use for shooting finishes. Too bad the Triton doesn't provide filters for various kinds of chemicals.

All that trouble just for a little facial hair.:o

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I recall that review, and he stated he provided feedback to the manufacturer and they'd be coming out with a revised version. The version I have has a hose that is very pliable and has never pushed on the helmet in any way.

Cheers,
James