PDA

View Full Version : Where do you finish?

gnachman
01-26-2004, 4:37 PM
I'm planning on applying a natural oil finish on a large project, but I've run into a problem... I don't want to do it in my garage workshop because I'm concerned about keeping the propane heater running while I'm not around, especially if there are oil fumes floating around. It's about 20 degrees here right now, and I'd rather not wait until summer to do this :(. So I was wondering where other people leave their work to dry in the cold winter months?

Best I've come up with so far is the bathroom since it has a vent, but I'm not crazy about the idea for a number of reasons...so...here's hoping someone out there has a clever suggestion!

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2004, 4:48 PM
Well....I wouldn't worry about it. I spray finishes all the time in my shop and it has open flame natural gas heat and you can watch the flames when I am spraying change colors......some are reall pretty.

In all seriousness......I have sprayed lacquer and poly so thick that I couldn't hardly even the the heater or other end of the shop. It takes a LOT of concentrated air to make anything bad happen. I used to visit an old timer that sprayed in his shop and he used wood stove for heat and in the winter he would have a roaring fire going and you could NOT see the other side of his small shop for all the spray mist in the air. He did this for at least 50 years and never had a problem with fire.

When in doubt....err on the side of safety and trickle some fresh air in once in a while.

<b>WARNING!!!!</B> Don't do as I do.....but do as I say do...read the line just above this one and vent your room!!!!!

gnachman
01-26-2004, 5:24 PM
Well....I wouldn't worry about it. I spray finishes all the time in my shop and it has open flame natural gas heat and you can watch the flames when I am spraying change colors......some are reall pretty.

I'm actually more paranoid about the large piles of dry wood right next to the heater...add to that the fact that it's a brand new heater so I don't trust it quite yet :)

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2004, 5:43 PM
I'm actually more paranoid about the large piles of dry wood right next to the heater...add to that the fact that it's a brand new heater so I don't trust it quite yet :)

I understand....as taught in the military....just keep articles clear of the area within about 6 feet and as much of a clear space in front of the heater as possible. I did this when I had my shop in my garage and it worked fine and no problems. Just practice good safety against fire and you will do fine.

John Miliunas
01-26-2004, 5:59 PM
Ditto to what Dennis says. I worry a LOT more about wet staining rags than the diluted fumes reaching your heat source. Obviously, I wouldn't use the heater to prop up the pieces I'm painting, but doing it outside a reasonable distance from that source should be just fine. I've been doing a fair amount of "spray bomb" squirting the last few days and my Hot Dawg dutifuly cycles when the thermostat drops to 66 and you can definitely see the "haze" in the air. No problems, just use common sense. :cool:

Kurt Aebi
01-26-2004, 7:51 PM
Definitely do as these guys say, they are very knowledgeable.

Welcome to the Creek - take a minute to update your registration and change your user-name to your actual name. I don't want you to get into any hot water with the moderator, plus if you are not registered correctly, you aren't elligable for the Free-Stuff giveaways or discounts offered here at the Creek.

Please don't take this the wrong way, we want you here at the Creek, but I just don't want you to miss out on all the opportunities this forum can offer us.

Kurt

Kurt Aebi
01-26-2004, 7:53 PM
I forgot about your question.

Here in Vermont, right now the temperatures are about -10° overnight and all the way up to +10° during the day. I made a finish booth in my basement, with proper ventilation.