PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly go 453 planer

norm brownstein
08-22-2007, 9:09 PM
I'm thinking about ordering one, and would love to hear some feedback from someone whose used one. Any comments welcome. Thanks, Norm

John Thompson
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Evening Norm..

I assume you mean the G 0453 15" planer? I don't have one, but have used one. It's the same and the Shopfox 15" and the now extinct York-craft 15". Same assembly line but different paint job for all three.

The planer is good.. very fair priced and parts are available. I have the Yorkcraft 20" planer which is idenical to the comparable Griz and Shopfox. I also have the Bridgewood MS 12 floor mortiser which is idenical to the industrial model Griz sells with the exception that the Griz has 3 phase and a 2 HP as opposed to the Bridgewood with 220v and 1 phase. Parts are inter-changeable.

Again.. I don't own it, but I wouldn't be afraid too as it is a good piece of machinery for the price.

Regards...

Sarge..

Michael Disorbo
08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Got my G0453 15" Planer in June 2006. Have used it almost everyday and ran a lot of hardwood through it. The only problem I had was a leaky oil plug at the bottom of the gearbox. I removed the plug, wrapped it with teflon tape and it hasnt leaked a bit since. The machine is quiet, puts a real nice finish in the finish mode. The mobile base works very good. It has all the power you will ever need and the knives that come with it last quite awhile and never got a chip in them just dulled. You wont be unhappy with this planer!!

Michael

Randy Davidson
08-23-2007, 6:53 AM
I've had my Grizzly for about 4 months and have run a couple hundred feet of white oak and probably a thousand feet of poplar. It has not missed a stroke, but you must have a good dust collector or it will clog in a heartbeat. Finishes are clean and snipe free. I too have had a very small oil leak so it must be a minor problem with a easy solution. Love the mobility for my cramped small shop. You wont go wrong in my opinion.

Harley Lewis
08-23-2007, 9:56 AM
I have had the 453 for about 10 months. I had the typical lunch box planers before and this planer is just in another league. I have put about 2000 ft of lumber through it, ranging from poplar to hickory. Lots of walnut and oak. It is a wonderful machine, my only problem with it is I should have upgraded earlier.

Like noted above, it makes a lot of chips so a DC is essential. I set my lower bed rollers at .002 which is the suggested levels for "fine finish" and I suggest that level regardless. The other modification I did was take the sponge strip off of the dust chute near the chip breaker. That was recommended by others on this forum to improve dust collection -- it works great so it must have been the right move.

I like Grizzly tools, I also have a 8" Griz jointer, a 17" band saw and my DC is the mid sized Griz. All great tools and I have not had a lick of trouble with any of them other than things caused by my own stupidity (operator error) now and then.

Harley

Chris Fairbanks
08-23-2007, 1:43 PM
I have had mine about 2 weeks now and all I can say is I agree with everyone. I don't know why I waited so long to upgrade. It took my Ridged lunch box blowing up its gear box to make me upgrade and I am glad it happened. Ordered it on a Thursday and was here on the following Monday. What else can I say.....