PDA

View Full Version : Dowelmax comparison for owners

Alan Tolchinsky
08-22-2007, 7:10 PM
Here is a doweling jig I came across at Lee Valley. It works with a reference face instead of self centering which is like the Dowelmax. Anybody own one or can compare the two? Very interesting at $70. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32249&cat=1,180,42311,42319

John Lucas
08-22-2007, 8:00 PM
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod9-8.jpg

I had the Dowelmax for review and liked it. www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-9.htm

Art Mann
08-22-2007, 9:20 PM
I own and use the Dowelmx and I think it is a superb tool. I can't tell from the brief Lee Valley ad, but it appears that the Dowelmax is quite a bit more versatile. I recommend it.

On the other hand, I have bought quite a few smaller tools from Lee Valley and have always been extremely pleased with their design and quality. I might have bought this piece instead of the Dowelmax if I had noticed it first. The price is certainly more appealing.

Edit: I just read the ad again and noticed that it comes with different sizes of drill holes rather than just 3/8". To me, that is a big plus.

Andrew Williams
08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
You can get 1/4" bushings for the Dowelmax

Alan Tolchinsky
08-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Can anybody tell how this doweling jig is used on the face of a board? It looks like it's only good for edges.

Cary Swoveland
08-23-2007, 1:23 AM
Can anybody tell how this doweling jig is used on the face of a board? It looks like it's only good for edges.

I don't think Dowelmax will mind me borrowing one of their pictures:

To set up the Dowelmax for the interior of a face, you replace two of the brackets with an included angle bracket. For holes near the edge of the workpiece, you can clamp the angle bracket to the board, as shown in the picture. As you move to the center of the board, you will no longer be able to use a clamp, but all is not lost. Firstly, you could clamp a board across the face of the board being drilled, as a north-south guide for the jig. You could then use this guide together with the included "distance gauge" (an adjustable steel rod that connects an allready-drilled hole with one of the holes in the jig), to both position the holes and steady the unclamped jig when drilling.

Cary

Art Mann
08-23-2007, 7:37 AM
You can get 1/4" bushings for the Dowelmax
Yes, but at $60 plus shipping. I am waiting until I need it to purchase it. Note that this bushing costs almost as much as the entire jig from Lee Valley. Depending on the application, I might buy that instead.

Mack Cameron
08-23-2007, 7:58 AM
Here is a doweling jig I came across at Lee Valley. [quote]It works with a reference face instead of self centering which is like the Dowelmax. Anybody own one or can compare the two? Hi Alan; I want to be very clear here. This isn't a knock of the LV jig, just my true assessment after having and using one. It since has been sold because ....you should be able to guess why.

While the LV jig does reference to a face, you must set it up to do that reference. If you don't do a good job of referencing, your dowel holes are not perfectly aligned in a straight line, and thusly your joints will not be aligned. There are many parts to move and then tighten the allen headed bolts to ensure the alignment. It can only be used for edge to edge dowelling, and not edge to face like the DowelMax.

I had and used one for many years, but would generally opt for biscuits edge to edge, rather than go through the rigmarole of ensuring that the LV one was right on . I guess for $70 vs $350 it's your call. That $350 I spent has made me very happy.

Andrew Williams
08-23-2007, 8:16 AM
The dowelmax is pretty expensive, but once you hold it in your hands and use it, it will not seem expensive. In terms of the "list of tools that exceeded expectations", it occupies some rare ground. I only have a few other tools that fit that category. It was worth everything I paid for it, and I simply do not believe that this kind of precision machining and versatility can be duplicated for bargain basement prices.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that the Lee Valley jig was not suitable for edge/face doweling so I wouldn't be interested in it then. Thanks for verifying this for me. I guess it's Dowelmax for me then.

Bill Reed
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that the Lee Valley jig was not suitable for edge/face doweling so I wouldn't be interested in it then. Thanks for verifying this for me. I guess it's Dowelmax for me then.

You won't be sorry you bought the Dowelmax. I bought one years ago and it's my favorite tool. Quick, easy, no need to mark reference lines, and everything always lines up.

Bill

Art Mann
08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Mack Cameron,

Thanks for the explanation! It has me thinking I made the right decision with the Dowelmax. The information you provided was not obvious from the catalog and simply rules out that particular jig for me.

Steve Aiken
08-23-2007, 6:26 PM
Another vote for the DowelMax - the $350 is hard to come up with, but it is extremly well engineered and crafted. It is a bargain once you start to use it. I really like it panel glue-ups.

Steve

Art Mann
08-23-2007, 6:51 PM
Just so there is no confusion, the jig costs $259 plus shipping in US dollars. The prices quoted in this thread are Canadian.

Mack Cameron
08-23-2007, 7:23 PM
[quote]Just so there is no confusion, the jig costs $259 plus shipping in US dollars. The prices quoted in this thread are Canadian. Here's what I paid in CDN $'s; basic kit, $242.45, set of 1/4" guides $65, 100 - 3/8" dowels $7, 100 - 1/4" dowels $6; total 320.45, ship $12, taxes $19.23; total $351.68 and to take it from me, you will have to pry it from my dead cold hands!

www.dowelmax.com

Ed Falis
08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Looks like we bought the exact same kit, Mack. Except I did it in $US. Great tool.

I also have the Lee Valley cabinet making jig that includes their dowel jig. Nod goes to Dowelmax for that part of it.

- Ed