PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting good wood in your area?

Greg Crawford
08-22-2007, 4:04 PM
I've got my first large project that needs quarter-sawn oak, and I'm astonished how hard it's been to find decent stock! Houston Hardwoods was my first stop, and they only had about 5 or 6 sticks in the rack, not good. I asked, and they said they had 2 new bundles in the back, great. Went to see, but it didn't look like QS to me. I asked, and they said they get QS and rift sawn combined. I could have saved some money letting them pull the stock, but I needed QS, especially if I am paying $5.85 BF rough, I want QS! We spent about an hour picking out 125 BF, and when it came down to it, we still didn't have enough straight pieces to make a 3/4" thick top 86" x 36", unless we were willing to use 2-3" wide strips.

New day, need more wood, went to Mason's. At least the QS is all bundled together. It was still extremely difficult to find any lumber that would produce 5-6" wide, 8' long, reasonably clear pieces that had some nice rays/flecks. At least it was about eighty cents cheaper. As far as I know, there's only one other place in the Houston area, Clark's. Clark's is OK, but usually more expensive, and their warehouses are dark and hot, with cumbersome ladders to get to the second story (all these places are poorly lit, wonder why). If I had the time, I would have ordered all this from an online supplier and taken my chances. I think it would have been cheaper, even with shipping.

Is this normal in other parts of the country? Is lumber better closer to the areas where the wood is grown, and we're just getting the dregs because we're at the last of the delivery line? Or are the dealers just getting the cheapest stuff they can find?

Andrew Williams
08-22-2007, 4:43 PM
I can think of several reasons why it is difficult...

1. Not enough really big oak trees left so QS is going to be thin pieces at best nowadays. Even in rural NY state it's not easy to find QSWO in wide pieces. And it is expensive here too, although slightly cheaper than the prices you mentioned.
2. QSWO is all the rage now with the factories making "Mission" furniture so unless you can order 500 board feet of it then you are stuck with what is left.
3. You appear to be on the edge of the growing area of White Oak, so it may need to travel quite far to get to you.

http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=6730&flora_id=1

Greg Crawford
08-22-2007, 4:48 PM
Most of the oak in this area goes for pulp, as the quality is so poor. I think it's from the semi-tropical conditions year round. I didn't realize so much was being snatched up by the "big boys". Thanks

Jim Becker
08-22-2007, 8:54 PM
One of the things you might consider is getting together with a few other woodworkers in your general geography and ordering a larger load of material from somewhere else, particularly an area of the country where the species you need is more common. That lowers the cost and transportation for a larger quantity is little more than LTL on a small order.

Greg Crawford
08-23-2007, 8:39 AM
Jim,

I'm trying to get that going. Any suggestions for mills that will do a good job? I realize some mills may do better for cherry, some better on oak, etc. Any advice from people that have had good experiences would be most helpful.

Any others in the Houston area interested?

Thanks,

Greg

Carl Crout
08-23-2007, 8:47 AM
have you tried m&g sawmill in huntville texas?
www.mgsawmill.com (http://www.mgsawmill.com)

Jim Becker
08-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Jim,

I'm trying to get that going. Any suggestions for mills that will do a good job? I realize some mills may do better for cherry, some better on oak, etc. Any advice from people that have had good experiences would be most helpful.

Any others in the Houston area interested?

Thanks,

Greg

Asside from SMC's own Mike Morgan, you might want to contact the PA Hardwood Lumber Manufacturer's Association and get their buyer's guide. 800-232-4562. Lewis Lumber in Picture Rocks particularly impresses me for cherry and they are also carrying some other things of note. They are a "certified lumber" source, too.

Greg Crawford
08-23-2007, 5:46 PM
Carl, no I hadn't tried M&G, didn't even know about them. I will definitely give them a shot. Thanks. Jim, I'll also follow through on the 800 number. After planing some of this stuff, it's very dissappointing.

Thanks

Jeffrey Schronce
08-23-2007, 5:48 PM
Honestly I am finding QSWO to be about the hardest wood to find right now even here in central PA. I had a few large projects with QSWO and had problems finding very clear QSWO in appropriate lengths and widths. I had problems with stock having sap wood, etc. Even Hearne and Groff had a pretty poor selection IMHO.

I personally am not seeing a lot of real wood QSWO used in mass produced Mission furniture. I am not quite sure what is going on with QSWO.

I can tell you who will be up to their armpits in QSWO in about one year . . . ;) Visiting my parents in NC and just meet with sawyer about half a mile from parents home. Dad has hundreds of acres of wooded land. Put the two together and . . . .

Edit: If price is no concern there are places in the area that have very nice QSWO for around $8 bf!

David Duke
08-23-2007, 5:54 PM
Greg, I'll second the M&G recomendation, they don't always have a lot in stock but their quality is second to none along with there prices. I've known Glen for 35 years (dang I'm old), he and his son Michael are outstanding people who will treat you right.