PDA

View Full Version : Ent. Center panel door vibration

Chris Merriam
08-22-2007, 3:25 PM
I'm making an entertainment center with two cabinet doors, about 17x17in each. I have a hefty center channel speaker that will be in the EC (but not in the cabinets) and am worried about vibration in the door panels. I'm using metal perforated panels, I guess they'll be about 1/8 thick, haven't bought them yet. I'm going for the look of Salamander AV furniture if you've seen it.

Any thoughts on how to prevent vibration? Could I line the inner grooves with a bead of silicone or something?

Any similar thoughts on the 1/4 plywood back? If I nail it in with brads I'm worried about it vibrating as well. I was thinking of a tiny sliver of weatherstripping or rubber.

Thanks!

Jamie Smith
08-22-2007, 3:41 PM
Any similar thoughts on the 1/4 plywood back? If I nail it in with brads I'm worried about it vibrating as well. I was thinking of a tiny sliver of weatherstripping or rubber.

Thanks!

In the past, I have found it very helpful to keep the backs removable on entertainment centers (assuming that you can move it). It greatly helps when rewiring or adding components. Simple thumbscrew with a captive nut in the back of the frame.

This site has some pretty detailed diagrams of their cases, as well as some great ideas:

http://www.diamondcase.com/

Chris Merriam
08-22-2007, 4:49 PM
That's a cool site, wish I had seen that before. Unfortunately I already have 70% of the work done so too late to modify things very much. I may toy around with the idea of the removeable panel, I'd have to split my one panel into three, one big center fixed, and two outer removeable, then come up with a channel to hold them in place.

Jamie Smith
08-22-2007, 7:43 PM
I used things like this for mine:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=&cat=3,43715&p=45375

then the backs just screwed on (I put the insert nuts into supports on the back)

Worked out well (they actually had them at lowes or home depot too)

Stephen Zello
08-23-2007, 9:36 AM
I like the look of the Salamander AV furniture also.
Where are you getting your perforated metal panels from?

Grant Wilkinson
08-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Chris

I've done similar projects, and just put a very narrow bead of clear silicone along all 4 sides of the panel. The bead is small enough to be be invisible, and allows for wood expansion.