PDA

View Full Version : SealCoat question

Matt P
08-22-2007, 2:26 PM
If Zinnser's SealCoat is just a de-waxed shellac, can it be used as a *final* finish (e.g. build up many coats) instead of Zinnser's regular shellac? (Then I could have the option of putting a light final coat of poly on it if I wanted more durability)

Howard Acheson
08-22-2007, 3:16 PM
If Zinnser's SealCoat is just a de-waxed shellac, can it be used as a *final* finish (e.g. build up many coats) instead of Zinnser's regular shellac? (Then I could have the option of putting a light final coat of poly on it if I wanted more durability)

Yes, it's just shellac. However, shellac is not intended to be "built up" by many applications. It's a hard and brittle finish. When it gets too thick, it will crack and craze.

Matt P
08-22-2007, 4:28 PM
Why would anyone use Zinnser's regular shellac (which has wax) when they could just use SealCoat?

Hal Flynt
08-22-2007, 5:30 PM
I like waxed shellac for some purposes, like plane totes and when it is my final finish top coat.

Kim Spence
08-22-2007, 5:47 PM
Good question, I've wondered the same myself, here are a few reasons I can think of....

1. Believe their regular shellac is a heavier cut than their SealCoat.

2. Regular is available in a couple different colors - orange and blonde that I know of, maybe they have a garnet too?

3. Some finishers swear by using regular waxed shellac because they claim it applies differently...maybe the waxes help lubricate it during brushing?

Glenn Madsen
08-22-2007, 6:47 PM
When used as a final finish, the wax contributes to the total package. Think floors, furniture, trim, etc. The wax adds to the water resistance, I'm told.

A pair of nightstands done for my son and daughter-in-law this way have held up pretty well, in a challenging environment.

And I usually wax the piece anyway, for the final step...

Kim Spence
08-23-2007, 1:40 PM
Contrary to popular belief, waxed shellac is actually less water resistant than dewaxed. The wax actually causes the finish to absorb more moisture.