PDA

View Full Version : Drill chuck

Jonathan Harvey
08-22-2007, 1:07 PM
Need a bit more help folks:D . Here is a picture of my old Beaver lathe. It's nothing fancy but does get the job done. I have also taken some shots of my tail stock. I am wanting to buy a drill chuck for it but all the ones I have seen have a taper to them. Does anyone else have one like this and is there a drill chuck for my lathe.

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2007, 1:31 PM
You may want to check with ENCO. They are primarily a machine shop supply, but they carry a lot of stuff and I've been able to get "odd" drill chucks from them. Never hurts to check'em out.

Paul Heely
08-22-2007, 2:39 PM
You might also try Little Machine Shop. They too are a machine shop supplier and I've had good luck ordering from them.

Bill Stevener
08-22-2007, 2:44 PM
Don't know, but did you try to remove your live center from the quill, you don't show it in the photo? It may well have a taper, if so gust get a chuck to match. :confused:

Jonathan Harvey
08-22-2007, 3:26 PM
Don't know, but did you try to remove your live center from the quill, you don't show it in the photo? It may well have a taper, if so gust get a chuck to match. :confused:

How would I go about removing the live centre from the quill? It's old and dirty so I may be wrong but it looks like it's one piece :confused:

Bill Stevener
08-22-2007, 3:56 PM
One of two ways. If your quill assembly is hollow, insert a steel rod that fits and tap it with a mallet. You can also try, which should work, looking at your lathe, return the quill back to the pop-it ---tail stock, crank the live center hard against the the assembly and it should pop out. If not just try taping the screw with a mallet while applying some pressure on the hand wheel. Looks like it should be a MT2 taper. I bet it will come out. :)

Jonathan Harvey
08-22-2007, 5:11 PM
One of two ways. If your quill assembly is hollow, insert a steel rod that fits and tap it with a mallet. You can also try, which should work, looking at your lathe, return the quill back to the pop-it ---tail stock, crank the live center hard against the the assembly and it should pop out. If not just try taping the screw with a mallet while applying some pressure on the hand wheel. Looks like it should be a MT2 taper. I bet it will come out. :)

:D Yup out she came. Thank you so much (it was rusted in there real good). I guess thats what happens to a 60 year old lathe that I know for a fact has been sitting neglected for at least 26 years (it has been in my fathers grarage since I was a child and he never used it, so I took it earlier this year). It looked so lonley sitting there in a corner, so I felt that it deserved a better home. :)

So now I need a drill chuck MT1. Any recomendations or are they all pretty much the same?

Jonathan

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2007, 5:13 PM
:D Yup out she came. Thank you so much (it was rusted in there real good). I guess thats what happens to a 60 year old lathe that I know for a fact has been sitting neglected for at least 26 years (it has been in my fathers grarage since I was a child and he never used it, so I took it earlier this year). It looked so lonley sitting there in a corner, so I felt that it deserved a better home. :)

So now I need a drill chuck MT1. Any recomendations or are they all pretty much the same?

Jonathan

ENCO....great service and prices are good as well. The have drill chucks for about anything you can imagine....including a MT1 drill chuck. :)

Bill Stevener
08-22-2007, 5:33 PM
Your most welcome, glad that worked for you Jonathan, I am sure you will find a chuck. Have fun.
The tail stocks original name was a pop-it, hence the name, now you know why. I still call it a pop-it, but most folks don't know what I am referring to.
The component that holds the center is called the "slide". The term Quill, is a component of the drill press.

Cary Falk
08-24-2007, 9:26 AM

Jonathan

I have a MT2 one from PSI. It was reasonable in price and works well. I believe they have a MT1 also

Patrick Taylor
08-24-2007, 9:41 AM
So now I need a drill chuck MT1. Any recomendations or are they all pretty much the same?Jonathan

I have one from CSUSA that I like. It seems heavy enough to take whatever I throw at it. It has the chuck separate from the arbor, so if you ever changed MT sizes you could just get a new arbor I think.

Jason Clark2
08-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Check Littlemachineshop.com

33JT 1/2" Drill chuck - $9
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1212&category=

1MT to 33JT Arbor - $4.95
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1894&category=

While you're at it they also have a 60 degree live center for 1MT - $19.95
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1704&category=

If you plan to turn pens it's pretty much a requirement to have a 60 degree live center.

Jason