PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Rikon Sliding Table Saw

John Minnick
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have this saw? Likes/dislikes? I am thinking about getting one in the next couple of months.

Thanks for any info.

Brad Townsend
08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
It is so new, I don't recall anyone even claiming to have seen one yet.

Paul B. Cresti
08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I just checked it out...while it is not a European format style slider I have to say it looks quite interesting. If it is built well and functions well I would say I would go for it. Now I have never used a non-format style sliding saw so I do not know if there are any pitfalls from being a distance from the sliding table to the blade

frank shic
08-22-2007, 1:17 PM
just in case anybody else is interested:

Curt Harms
08-22-2007, 1:19 PM
I Downloaded the owner's manual. It uses the splitter/blade guard combo instead of a riving knife. That's too bad. It seems like a sliding table designed specifically for the saw is a good idea, 49" max cut on the table is better than most sleds but not as good as the euro sliders. I guess it depends on the price, probably worth more than a Grizz 1023 or Uni, ?? compared to a PM2000 with built-in mobility and riving knife.

My opinion and worth what You paid for it.

Curt

Paul B. Cresti
08-22-2007, 1:29 PM
As much as i hate to admit it ;>) I just looked at the new Grizzly cabinet saw slider...It has the slider set up in the same manner as a format-style slider (sliding table right next to the blade) as it looks decent. Add something similiar like my slider ripping jig and you will just about never need to be near the blade again or on the right side of the saw for ripping. Once you use a slider ripping jig it is like you have a "big meat slicer" ...slide away and slice and dice with confidence. Their are some drawbacks to a shorter slider (full sheetgood processing, straight line ripping, etc..) but you do gain a lot from a normal cabinet saw that i think far outweigh them.

Rick Lizek
08-22-2007, 1:30 PM
http://www.kufogroup.com/
Consider the Kufo. They've been in this country since at least 1988. We used to sell a ton of their dust collectors. It appears they've come a long way as to the other products.