PDA

View Full Version : Compressor in DC shed??

John Bush
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I am considering upgrading to an upright compressor and installing it in my attached DC shed. The cyclone is efficient, but there is still some fine dust that seems to find its way out of the system and finely coat the surfaces in the shed. There has also been the time(s) I didn't empty the drum soon enough and blew out the dust bag and had two feet of sawdust on the floor. How critical is this with regard to air intake for the compressor? Has this been an issue for any of you? I assume I could duct air from the shop to the intake or add filtration. Suggestions? Thanks, John.

Alan Schaffter
08-22-2007, 1:28 PM
I have a similar setup (blower, cylcone, and compressor share a room) but don't have the dust problem you describe, but still have a filter on my compressor intake. It you regularly get dust in your DC room, just run a line elsewhere to get your compressor air.

Mike Heidrick
08-22-2007, 2:50 PM
Any good place to buy a compressor filter/fitting/housing

Mine broke off (one of two) at some point in the previous owners reign and it was not sold with the compressor. PUMA brand compressor from HF so I am not sure how to contact the MFG.

Jim Becker
08-22-2007, 3:57 PM
The compressor should already have an air filter on the intake and you can add a bigger one if you prefer. The small amount of dust from your cyclone shouldn't matter, IMHO. And you'll enjoy getting that noisy tool outside, too!

Paul Gauthier
08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
My D/C and A/C are in the same room away, or more accurately downstairs from my shop, And I LIKE IT, noise is minimal. Just check and clean the filters regularly and you should have no problems.

Josiah Bartlett
08-27-2007, 1:32 AM
One thing to be careful of, though- compressors are air cooled, both the motor and the compressor. Make sure you blow out the fins of the compressor often and see if you can find one with a TEFC motor. (Totally enclosed, fan cooled). Some compressors have motors that suck air through the windings of the motor and you don't want dust in there.

sascha gast
08-27-2007, 3:54 AM
I just did that, put my dust gorilla and my 60 gallon compressor outside the garage in the same shed. my cyclone vents outside, no filter. sure there is a tiny bit of dust, but it works like a charm and the noise is gone, awesome

http://i.pbase.com/t6/55/652955/4/81804941.R8YGVXPl.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/t6/55/652955/4/81804942.Nvr43IwP.jpg

on these pice, the cyclone wasn't piped yet, i have 8" pipe running through the side where the compressor is, just above it

Al Willits
08-27-2007, 7:52 AM
Some compressors generate a lot of heat, I'd keep a eye on that, also I'd vent the intake to the comp outside, this will/should give it cleaner and possibly cooler air.

Al