PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for finish for a bar top??

brian mcannally
08-21-2007, 9:20 PM
This is in a home. Exposure to alcohol and water. I was thinking spar varnish myelf.

Thanks
brian

Jim Becker
08-21-2007, 9:31 PM
Spar varnish would be a poor choice. Spar varnish is a "soft", long-molecule, exterior varnish that is formulated to bend...as spars would on a ship in the wind. Behlen's RockHard varnish or similar would be an excellent choice for your project.

brian mcannally
08-22-2007, 7:53 AM
I should have known that. I was thinking more about the water resistance and I knew Spar varnish was a softer finish.

thanks
brian

Greg Cole
08-22-2007, 9:13 AM
Brian,
Take a look at this..... from a well known Creekers post from a Elk's Club revival. If nothing else, the bar is something to inspire and the finish is top shelf (as with anything I've seen Per & Bob put their name on).
http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Per_Swenson_Sanding_Bar_Top.pdf

Greg

Howard Acheson
08-22-2007, 3:20 PM
I was thinking more about the water resistance and I knew Spar varnish was a softer finish.

thanks
brian

Actually, exterior varnishes are not any more water resistant than interior varnishes. In fact, they are less water resistant due to their higher concentration of oil. A good interior poly or non-poly varnish is a better choice for a surface that needs durability.