PDA

View Full Version : packing turnings for shows/events??

Jess Wetherhold
08-21-2007, 8:37 PM
I am curious to see how different folks protect their turnings while in transport to and from shows or events. I have been using bubble wrap, sheets, towels etc... I guess I am looking to pick up some time saving tips and techniques.
Thanks in advance:)

Allen Neighbors
08-21-2007, 10:17 PM
When I pack for a show, I have several old hardside photography equipment cases that I pack everything in... inside measurements are 13X17X19. I put the smaller pieces in sweat socks. I individually wrap the medium-to-large pieces in old tee shirts or squares of flannel cloth. The large bowls that don't fit in the cases, I stack, separated by bubblewrap, and wrapped in quilts. Haven't had anything damaged. I just finished a week-long craft show in Colorado, and even after the 500 mile trip (oneway) in the back of my truck, no damage. (But the larger bowls made the trip under the bed of my travel trailer.)
It's worth going to the trouble of individual wrapping to make sure you don't have to bring some pieces back to re-finish. DAMHIKT.

Steve Trauthwein
08-22-2007, 7:24 AM
I have a 36" duffle that holds all turned pieces other than pens. I went to the local material store and bought a couple of yards of fleece. Sewed the fleece into pockets of various sizes by doubling and sewing up the sides. Packing to or from the show is a lot simpler with a standard means and the pockets work great. It puts a double layer of fleece between each turning.

If I keep turning at the rate I am and selling at the rate I have been I am going to have to go buy more fleece and another duffle.

Regards, Steve

Frank Kobilsek
08-22-2007, 8:49 AM
Jess

I use two large Rubermaid style tubs with locking lids. Piece are heavily wrapped in tissue paper then nested in the tubs. They fit behind the seat in my extended cab Dodge Dakota. Everything else has to go in the bed of the truck including suticases. I am eyeballing a closed trailer. If I am going to keep doing shows I need to make packing & unpacking less urgent.

When something sells I flip up my table covering to reach the Tub of crinkled tissue paper wrap the item and put it in a bag for the customer.

Frank

Wilbur Pan
08-22-2007, 9:15 AM
Wouldn't wood shavings make good packing material? Put the turning in a plastic bag, and pack shavings around it. Plus, you should have easy access to a good supply of it. ;)

joe greiner
08-22-2007, 9:30 AM
Bubble wrap is probably OK for short-term protection. But I'd hesitate to use it for long-term storage of pieces with lacquer or poly finish in direct contact, because of possible chemical interaction. Ditto plastic bags.

Joe

Patrick Taylor
08-22-2007, 9:41 AM
Wouldn't wood shavings make good packing material? Put the turning in a plastic bag, and pack shavings around it. Plus, you should have easy access to a good supply of it. ;)

That's what the customer wants, a bag full of sawdust! And maybe a little surprise or two that was lost in the "mountain" before cleaning up. :)

Reed Gray
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I picked up several of the plastic storage boxes that stack inside each other, and have locking lids. I put the big bubble wrap (2 foot squares) inbetween layers, and some times small bubble wrap between the bowls. For short travel, you don't need as much protection, but on longer trips, you need more between layers. The bumping of the road and car can leave dents from the foot of one bowl, in the bottom of another. Each bowl gets bubble wrap around it when sold, and tape across the top to hold the wrap to protect it until it gets home. I also offer a plastic bag to carry, but now people are bringing their own bags, or some just don't want one.
robo hippy

Richard Madison
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
As Joe Greiner said, best to wrap each piece in a layer of white tissue paper. Then the bubble wrap or plastic bag.

Nancy Laird
08-22-2007, 12:14 PM
I wrap all of my breakable and damage-prone stuff in while foam-like sheets - we buy it in a huge roll that's perforated every 12" and we just tear off what we need. All of the plaques we deliver are individually wrapped in this stuff. Works well as a cushion.

Nancy (121 days)

Jess Wetherhold
08-22-2007, 2:05 PM
Well, right now I have big 88qt tubs on wheels with locking lids. I use bubble wrap in between each bowl but would like to use tissue paper like Frank & Joe stated.
The problem is that I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I have even looked for sub paper (restaurant style).
I enjoyed reading all of the posts. Thanks

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2007, 2:41 PM
I wrap all of my breakable and damage-prone stuff in while foam-like sheets - we buy it in a huge roll that's perforated every 12" and we just tear off what we need.I've seen that as boxes of individual sheets at Staples, but not in a roll like that. Source please?

Nancy Laird
08-22-2007, 3:11 PM
Lee, we buy the rolls at a company called Eddleman Industries here in Albuquerque. I think this is a local company, but any company that carries boxes (of all types), bubble wrap, and other packaging material should be able to get it. A quick Google search of "foam wrap" (with the quotation marks), turned up several suppliers, including http://www.bubbleandfoampackaging.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14 and http://www.publicstorage.com/packing/packingdetails.aspx?catg=packsup. The public storage place has it for $24.50 plus $3.99 shipping for a 100' roll. The huge roll we got from Eddleman was 1000', perfed every 12", and 24" wide. I'm not home to check, but I seem to recall that it was well under $100 for the roll.

Jess, you should be able to find tissue paper at WalMart or some of the dollar stores. It usually comes in packages of multiple sheets for a very reasonable price. It will be in the gift-wrapping section, as it is used for "lining" gift boxes. You can even get it in red or green around Christmas.

Nancy (121 days)

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2007, 6:08 PM
A quick Google search of "foam wrap" (with the quotation marks), turned up several suppliers, including http://www.bubbleandfoampackaging.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14 and http://www.publicstorage.com/packing/packingdetails.aspx?catg=packsup. The public storage place has it for $24.50 plus $3.99 shipping for a 100' roll. The huge roll we got from Eddleman was 1000', perfed every 12", and 24" wide. I'm not home to check, but I seem to recall that it was well under $100 for the roll.Thanks.

That first link has better prices but they seem to be selling only in 'Costco' quantities: 1/32" thick x 24" wide is sold in bundles of three 2000' rolls, over a mile of foam total! :eek:

Nancy Laird
08-22-2007, 6:15 PM
Lee, the roll we bought in summer of 2005 is only about half gone - after three (3) years of wrapping State Fair plaques and other sundry stuff. It goes a long way.

Jim King
08-22-2007, 8:16 PM
When we have something that is available this is how we pack it.

Velvet bag, and bubble wrap into the box.

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2007, 8:51 PM
When we have something that is available this is how we pack it.

Velvet bag, and bubble wrap into the box.That velvet bag and the box are probably worth more than any of my turnings. :p :cool:

joe greiner
08-23-2007, 8:19 AM
As Joe Greiner said, best to wrap each piece in a layer of white tissue paper. Then the bubble wrap or plastic bag.

Um, I didn't actually mention tissue paper between the piece and the bubble wrap, but I guess I sorta implied something like that.

Although used by some shippers of hardware and such, old newspapers are obviously taboo for fine turnings, because of ink transfer. But, you can get blank newsprint from your newspaper. This stuff goes through the press at about 30mph, and they have automatic roll changers to engage a new roll well before the previous roll is exhausted. I've never measured the leftover length, but it's about 1/4" thick on a 4" diameter core. Our local rag puts about 30 cores of leftovers on the loading dock each afternoon for free pickup. Some newspapers charge about $2 for them, but still a bargain. Find out when they place the leftovers, and prepare to fight the crowd; if you snooze, you lose. The cores themselves are so stout, you could probably build something from them. Never tried turning one though. Hmmmm.

Joe

John Taylor
08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
HI

I wrap all my stuff in white acid free tissue then stack it carefully in plastic crates. Not had any damage yet.

A word of warning when using tissue to wrap things in make sure it is white acid free. If it isnt acid free and the items are left wrapped for a time it will affect the finish. Also if you use coloured paper and it gets slightlly damp the colour can transfer to the item.

john