PDA

View Full Version : SawMillCreek?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-12-2003, 8:41 PM
Does that mean we are now "creekers?"

Keith Outten
02-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Don,

OK, I'm now so old that I creek but you don't have to tell all the youngbloods here :)

I would prefer Sawyers to Creekers and I have been using the phrase Hangin out at "The Creek".

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2003, 1:41 PM
That we are "soaking our feet in the creek"? I come here "fishing in the creek" for information I need......etc.

Dennis :D

Curt Harms
02-13-2003, 5:55 PM
Hey Jackie or Keith, in the Tidewater is it "creek" or "crick". Growing up in Wisconsin it was "crick":)

Keith Outten
02-13-2003, 6:15 PM
Curt,

I think that SawMillCreek is the only Creek in the whole Hampton Roads Area so you don't hear the term used much here. We have the Atlantic ocean, James River, York River and the Chesapeake Bay so there is every kind of body of water that you can imagine except a creek or a pond.

I take that back, there is Mill Creek, a small inlet on the south side of Fort Monroe. As fas as I know they pronounce it Creek but the proper pronunciation is however its is used in your neck of the woods. I can go with the flow.

Dave Crabbs
02-13-2003, 7:58 PM
In my neck of the woods there is a Sawmill Creek. It is a golfing and fishing resort. Sawmill Creek (http://www.sawmillcreek.com) But it is not as informative as this site;)
Dave

Mike Brewster
02-13-2003, 8:12 PM
How 'bout "Miller's"? Seems right some how.

Mike

Bart Leetch
02-13-2003, 8:43 PM
I live on Whidbey Island it is in Puget Sound along the Washington state coast. I don't think Saw Mill Sound quite makes it. Saw Mill Creek is just fine.:)

Ted Shrader
02-14-2003, 9:07 AM
Curt -

Keith is right - there aren't many creeks around here and so I think it is still pronounced creek.

There are plenty of inlets, bays, swamps and rivers, but very, very few creeks. Seems the flowing bodies of water want to be full grown rivers.

Ted

Robert Simmons
02-14-2003, 12:20 PM
I've been called 'Creaky' several times lately, though I think (?) it was supposed to be a reference to my knees. HHmmm.....

Robert

Jason Roehl
02-15-2003, 11:51 AM
A "Brewster" suggesting we be called "Millers"? Sounds "skunky" to me.

Jason