PDA

View Full Version : Euro hinge experts

Craig D Peltier
08-21-2007, 6:05 PM
Hi, Have a few questions on euro hinges.

1) If it says 3/4 overlay face frame hinge, Does that mean it overlays 3/4 inch so 3/8 on each side L an R or just on the hinges side? Or does that mean its a 3/4 thick face frame hinge with a 3/4 overlay? Ive also seen them say 5/8 face frame hinge?
I have also seen 1 3/8 overlay etc.
I partially understand euro hinges but not totally. Rocklers site helps a little. Ive installed a quite a few 3/4 face frame hinge but not sure on what the 3/4 is frame or overlay.

I need a face frame hinge for a 3/4 face frame that adjust further than 3/4 overlay. Are there any? I just need another 3/16 or more.

Thanks again

David Duke
08-21-2007, 6:33 PM
No expert here but in my experience the "overlay" is to the hinge side not the overall overlay of the door. You can get different mounting plates for the hinge to make your overlay options virtually unlimited.

Here is a link a hinge I use quite a bit http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Hinges/CatID/Cabinet%20Hinges%2C%20Blum%26%23174%3B%20Concealed/SubCatID/110%26%230176%3B%20Compact%2033

Gail O'Rourke
08-21-2007, 6:43 PM
Overlay is the amount that the door overlay's on the hinge side. So, for example - frameless cabinets - you would use a 3/4 inch overlay hinge to cover the case - the total dimension of the door would be 3/4 for overlay + interior opening of the case + 3/4 for other side of the case.

A face frame hinge is one that is constructed to be screwed into the face frame. It has a different type of plate. A 3/4" overlay face frame hinge will overlay the face frame by 3/4" as well as mount to the face frame.

You may be able to buy a 1" overlay hinge with a face frame mount. Blum sells all types.

Jay Brewer
08-21-2007, 6:50 PM
Hi Craig, David is right on, the overlay refers to how much the door is going to overlap the face frame on the hinge side. It dosent have anything to do with the thickness or the width of the face frame.

Euro hinges are usually 2 parts, a face frame hinge just means it comes with the back plate for mounting to face frames. I use Blum Clip Top hinges and buy the back plate seperatly for frameless or framed cabinets.

I also buy my hinges from Woodworkers Hardware, the have a good chart in their catolog that explains which back plate is need for a given overlay. They also have much better prices the Rockler.

Hope this had helped.

Greg Dykes
08-23-2007, 1:52 PM
I found what I believe to be the best prices for Blum hinges. Don't let the name fool you, A&H Turf & Specialties http://www.ahturf.com/catalog/catalogue.phtml?f_action=search&f_category=269

I just purchased 80 of the Compact 38N hinges for my new kitchen. They were .97 each. Rockler wants about $5.99 for a set of two. These guys were easy to deal with and shipped my order the same day.

From thier site you can access the Blum specifications page and it will explain all how the overlay and cup spacing should be for each hinge.

Ed Falis
08-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Wish I'd known about them before I bought my slides and hinges. Prices are good.