PDA

View Full Version : kudos for Lee Valley

Chris Friesen
08-21-2007, 5:01 PM
Yesterday I managed to knock my 38" aluminum straightedge from the workbench onto the concrete floor. (Note to self...don't leave straightedge near edge of bench!)

After some wailing and gnashing of teeth I looked it over. The obvious damage was some mangled aluminum where the edge of it hit the steel edge of a caster. I trimmed that off with a knife, but was still worried about whether or not it was still straight.

Today I took it in to LV and they were kind enough to unwrap a steel straightedge for me to compare it against. Looks like mine is still okay.

So...kudos to LV for making a tough straightedge, and for pulling out a new one for me to compare against.

Gary Keedwell
08-21-2007, 5:10 PM
Yesterday I managed to knock my 38" aluminum straightedge from the workbench onto the concrete floor. (Note to self...don't leave straightedge near edge of bench!)

After some wailing and gnashing of teeth I looked it over. The obvious damage was some mangled aluminum where the edge of it hit the steel edge of a caster. I trimmed that off with a knife, but was still worried about whether or not it was still straight.

Today I took it in to LV and they were kind enough to unwrap a steel straightedge for me to compare it against. Looks like mine is still okay.

So...kudos to LV for making a tough straightedge, and for pulling out a new one for me to compare against.
That's good old fashion customer service. I have a steel straight edge and if I get a little digger on an edge I just rub it a little with a hard sharpening stone. I'm in the process right now of making a case for mine. Just browsing through Lee Valley's Hardware Catolog for the right hardware.
Gary K.

Justin Bukoski
08-21-2007, 8:00 PM
Be careful Gary, the last time I went on Lee Valley's site I had to take out a second mortgage. ;)

Matt Meiser
08-21-2007, 8:38 PM
I think there was a hidden gloat in there--that you could just go into Lee Valley. I've been to the one in London a couple times and that is one cool store. Unfortunately I no longer deal with the company who I used to go up there to visit. Actually unfortunate that I don't visit, :D that I don't deal with that particular company any more!

Art Mulder
08-22-2007, 6:51 AM
I think there was a hidden gloat in there--that you could just go into Lee Valley. I've been to the one in London a couple times and that is one cool store.

You get used to the things that are near you. I'm used to Lee Valley.
On the other hand, I thought that the Woodcraft in Grand Rapids, MI, was one cool store when I visited it 2 yrs ago.

But yeah, I'm real pleased to have a LVT store so close ;)

Art Mann
08-22-2007, 7:33 AM
I'm glad I don't live anywhere near Lee Valley. I would go broke buying stuff from them. I buy more than i should over the internet. I have yet to buy anything from them that isn't top quality and doesn't work as advertised. Great selection from a great merchant.

Maurice Ungaro
08-22-2007, 9:04 AM
I think there was a hidden gloat in there--that you could just go into Lee Valley. I've been to the one in London a couple times and that is one cool store. Unfortunately I no longer deal with the company who I used to go up there to visit. Actually unfortunate that I don't visit, :D that I don't deal with that particular company any more!

Matt, I was thinking the same thing myself about the hidden gloat! :rolleyes:

Dave Sinkus
08-22-2007, 10:48 AM
I just looked and they don't have a store in the 48 contiguous states?

Dangit. Just another reason to get the passport.

Chris Friesen
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I think there was a hidden gloat in there--that you could just go into Lee Valley.

The store here in Saskatoon is still fairly new--it's really nice (though a bit dangerous) to have it nearby.

I think my personal record for smallest LV purchase was a small bag of brass screws--of course it took an hour or so due to the time spent fondling the hand tools... :)