PDA

View Full Version : Lasik?

Brent Dowell
08-21-2007, 3:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has had Lasik?

Getting to the point where I wear bifocals about half the time.

I like the idea of getting lasik so that I don't need normal glasses, but could just use either reading glasses, or better yet, shop glasses with cheaters...

Just wondering what kind of experiences folks have had with it.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
08-21-2007, 3:53 PM
17 January 2003. About 9am ET. No regrets whatsoever. Prior to the surgery I was worse that 20/200 and was a slave to my glasses. Now, I see 20/20 and 20/15 and only use glasses for reading (1.5 diopter cheapies)...which is normal for being 50 years old. And as you mention, my safety glasses have "cheaters" at the bottom of the lenses so I can accurately see measurements, etc., although I still need to mentally process them correctly... :)

I was borderline for the surgery due to dry eyes, but have not had a lot of issue with that in the past two years or so. I'll occasionally use drops when my eyes are tired late at night, when I wake up or when flying for many hours. But it's quite minimal.

One of the key things, however, is to select a doctor with a lot of experience. Don't choose based on price...

Jeff Kerr
08-21-2007, 4:28 PM
Jim has it right. Do not choose on price. I found a great Dr. that was associated with a for profit company TLC. (The ones that did Tiger Woods).

Most expensive in my area but cam with lifetime touchups for free. 2 years later I still have 20/20 vision.

Jim Becker
08-21-2007, 4:52 PM
My doc was associated with Will's Eye Hospital's local LASIK facility and also provides the "lifetime" benefits. I still use him for even regular checkups...which seem to be covered by my regular medical insurance as a surgical specialty.

Nancy Laird
08-21-2007, 5:01 PM
Brent, there is a doctor here in Albuquerque who does three different types of LASIK - be aware that there IS more than one type for different types of eyes, and the LASIK procedure isn't for everyone. He also advertises that he does implantable contact lenses which are removable and replaceable in the future.

In my own case, when my cataracts got so bad that I could not drive at night, my ophthamologist implanted new lenses into my eyes which are ground to my prescription (I was at about 20/800) and I wear only the $1.00 Dollar Tree cheaters to read the phone book and the newspaper. Otherwise, I'm glasses-free for the first time since 1950!! I haven't had any vision change since I had my cataracts done in late '01/early '02.

Nancy (122 days)

Everyone I've ever heard from who has had LASIK - particularly from this doctor here in Albq. - has had fantastic results.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-21-2007, 5:08 PM
I'm terrified that if I do it they will suddenly discover some awful long term complication.

Ed Breen
08-21-2007, 6:17 PM
Cliff,
I had mine (cataracts) done here in Muskogee at a regional clinic. My eyes are now fine. One small drawback was a tear in my left retina which resulted in some unusual floaters. I went back in they peeked and sent me to a medic in Tulsa who zapped my left retina about 60 shots to create scar tissue and stop the tear. I'm 20/20 in both eyes now and have had no problem in several years. The best thing (which I did not realize) after the surgerys white was white instead of yellow. Quelle difference!!
Ed:) :)

Tyler Howell
08-21-2007, 6:25 PM
One of the best things I ever did,
Sept 2001
Almost time for a tune up but still going stong.

Randal Stevenson
08-21-2007, 6:32 PM
I am offically a canidate, whose mother is a surgical nurse for an opthomologist that performs these, yet I haven't done it.
Over by my work, we have a budget Lasik place (under $300 an eye), and I used to see people waiting to go over there all the time. The doctors came in from out of town for the proceedures, and in one case we saw a guy come back a few days later, and need to see the doctor again. He had a torn cornea, and had to wait two days for the Dr. to come back into town.

Since I work in a lot of heat (dry eyes), and have both seen and heard horror stories, and know how even regular glasses have saved my eyes, I am a little leary about doing it. I don't recommend going budget on this by any means.

Jack Hogoboom
08-21-2007, 7:59 PM
Had it done about 20 months ago. I was staring at a computer all the time and couldn't see it nor the paper on my desk well. Headaches all the time. It was either surgery or bifocals. Decided to give it a try, even though I make my living reading and losing my vision would have been a big problem....

I wasn't a candidate for regular Lasik because my eyes are small and beady (seriously :rolleyes: ). Dr. was worried that Lasik would leave me with halo issues because my orbits weren't wide enough.

I had a modified procedure. With Lasik, they cut the epithelium (sp?), do the surgery and lay the epithelium back down. For me, they had to scrape the epithelium off to expose the eye.

Took me nearly two weeks to fully recover. My vision was blurry for a lonnngggg time. Very scary. Dr. kept saying everything looked great. Eventually he was proved correct.

It hasn't been life-altering for me. Sometime, like when I'm in the shop, I forget to use proper eye protection because I am so used to the glasses being there.

The other thing I don't like too much is that, apparently, Lasik sacrifies some of your up-close vision in the correction. Like Jim, I have magnifying glasses I carry around. The lack of that vision is a big pain when I'm in the shop or doing something on a small scale.

All in all, I guess it has been a good thing. I loved being able to buy non-prescription sunglasses. However, it wasn't some kind of life-altering event for me. I guess the moral of my story is that there are pluses and minuses and if you think you want to do it, fine, but don't expect it to change your life.

Jack

Jim Becker
08-21-2007, 8:02 PM
Jack, I was already using reading assistance before the surgery...progressives, even...so it's not surprising I still needed some correction for close work. The Dr did intend for me to have a slight mono-vision after the laser, but my correction was a little more than was expected. When my eyes are moist, I have no issues with reading things like menus as long as there is reasonable light. But at 50 years old, most of the time, it's just preferable to use 1.5 diopter cheaters...

Brent Dowell
08-21-2007, 8:54 PM
I'm not really expecting to have the vision of a twenty year old, but I've been wearing glasses basically my whole life.

I'm already at the point where I playing with my glasses all the time. I work on the computer all day, and sometimes I need my glasses to see the screen, sometimes I don't, and other times I need my bifocals.

If I'm sitting on the couch, reading catalogs and watching TV, I need to use the bifocals to be able to see the TV and to be able to read.

They say there is a direct correlation between age and the distance at which you need to hold a magazine in order to be able to read it.

I think I might just start searching for an appropriate doctor. I've been going to the same optometrist for quite a while, and I know he even had it done, so I'll probably get his recomendation on where to go.

Sounds like it's a no brainer from the feedback. Thanks!:D

John Shuk
08-21-2007, 9:38 PM
I'm terrified that if I do it they will suddenly discover some awful long term complication.

That is my wife's concern.
I know lots of people who have had it and all are happy.
I'm better than 20/20 naturally knock on wood.

mark page
08-22-2007, 6:41 AM
I am like Nancy was. Approximate 20-800. My opto wants me to due the surgery, but with a hitch that one eye will be for reading and one for distance. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT ONE! Although I know many people that has done it that way and like it. That way no reading glasses. I currently wear bifocals too. But everytime it rains I keep swearing I'm going for it, or I'm a sweater and have to constantly keep shoving them back up on my face and swear I'm gonna do it. Still haven't done it yet. Guess too many other priorities first.

Russ Filtz
08-22-2007, 8:23 AM
My doctor won't let me do it! Too many risk factors for me. Severe nearsighted (6-8 diopters), some astigmatism, my Dad had Glaucoma, I have elevated pressures as well. My eyes have been the bane of my existence! I always wanted to be a jet fighter pilot growing up (didn't we all!)

Randy Klein
08-22-2007, 8:55 AM
I had it done in 2000. I was worse than 20/650 (coke bottle glasses) and came out with 20/20. No regrets. I can't even remember what it was like to wear glasses and contacts. My dad was the same and had the same results.

Jim Becker
08-22-2007, 9:06 AM
Mark, the monovision can be discomforting for awhile, but most folks end up just fine. In fact, many, many people who wear contacts are set up with monovision, including Professor Dr. SWMBO, for exactly the reason your doctor is suggesting you do it. My surgery was effectively supposed to be skewed that way, but we overshot slightly, and I ended up with superior distance vision ("Eagle eyes") but still needing a very low reading glasses.

Russ, was your Dr's recommendation recent? Every year there are advances in the eye surgery arena and they can deal with a lot more things now that they couldn't just a short time ago.

Tyler Howell
08-22-2007, 9:17 AM
[quote=mark page;645300] My opto wants me to due the surgery, but with a hitch that one eye will be for reading and one for distance. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT ONE! quote]

I've got the mono vision and it is great. After four years I finally got a pair of cheaters to watch TV and for night driving. I'm usually pretty tired by this time and the glasses give me distant vision in both eyes.
I tried mono with my contacts for about a week before I made the decission and have been very pleased since.

Stay away from the store front chop shops and if the Dr says no, accept it. Don't go shopping for some one that will do the job.:mad:

Belinda Barfield
08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Brent,

If you are considering having one eye corrected for near, and one for distance, do a trial run for a few weeks. With that type of correction you can lose your depth perception - which would be a real pain for a woodworker.

Good luck!

Tony De Masi
08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Never had it done for myself, only been in glasses for a couple of year now. But SWMBO and I did give it as a college graduation gift for my son about five years ago. Figured it was something he couldn't break, couldn't lose, and couldn't sell.:D

Tony

Brent Dowell
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
When I still tried to wear contact lenses, my Eye doc tried so see if I wanted to do that one near/one far thing.

I just never really bought into it and didn't do it.

It sounds interesting, but wearing reading glasses for up close work wouldn't bother me that much.

Keith Beck
08-22-2007, 2:08 PM
Had it done in April 2001. Best money I ever spent! Prior to the procedure, my vision was about 20/300. I couldn't read the clock on the nightside beside the bed. I was so blind, I used to go swimming in the ocean and not be able to find my family members after I came out. That sucks!

I do use eye drops for dry eyes when I wake up and if I'm really tired, my eyes will sting, but I'd trade that for not being able to see any day of the week.

Keith

Hal Peeler
08-22-2007, 2:28 PM
October 2002. I had glasses since I was 4 years old; I was 38 at that time so I didn't know life without glasses. I was about 20/400 with border line astigmatism (sp) and I still have 20/20 and don't use cheaters yet! Truly life changing for me. Good luck.

Jason Boushard
08-22-2007, 2:57 PM
I had PRK last July I decided to do it when I was out training with my guys and lost my glasses I went from leader to liability in a split second. PRK is where they scratch the surface off and it heals back. The Navy had just started doing lasik but made me go with PRK due to my combat status PRK is less likely to have the cornea tear in combat. I took an abnormaly long time to heal 3 months but after that I now have 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other not bad and I dont notice the differance that much. I would do it again just go with a good doc.

Dusty Fuller
08-22-2007, 3:30 PM
Lasik changed my career opportunities... it cost over 3000.00 total, but I've been on a payment plan and almost have it paid off (started in September of last year). I'll echo everyone else by saying that you don't want to go cheap. I'd still like to test my eyes for softball, but they work well for tennis and in just general seeing stuff that most folks can't. That was a great graduation present that someone gave a few posts previous!!!

Dusty

Anthony Welch
08-22-2007, 5:01 PM
Chalk another one up for Lasik:D . If I didn't put my glasses in the same place every night, they just weren't found ... by me. Now I can wear "Cheap Sunglasses:cool: "

Like most everyone else, I have to wear the cheaters for up close work and reading.

Jude Herr
08-22-2007, 5:41 PM
I had Lasik 6 months ago and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me (besides meeting my husband):)
I was nearly half-blind in both eyes with Astigmatism and now I see 20/15 in both eyes. i live in Colorado where it's hot and dry in the summer and cold and dry in the winter so dry, sticky contact lens have always been a problem. Being an avid skier and cyclist, glasses weren't a great option. Now I love, love, love my new eyes!
by the way, I went to ICON Lasik in S. Denver. They've performed over 30,000 surgeries so far.

Dan Mages
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I had it done in December 2003 and now have 20/13ish in both eyes. Definately worth the money.

Dan

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-24-2007, 9:01 AM
Cliff,
I had mine (cataracts) done here in Muskogee at a regional clinic. My eyes are now fine. One small drawback was a tear in my left retina which resulted in some unusual floaters. I went back in they peeked and sent me to a medic in Tulsa who zapped my left retina about 60 shots to create scar tissue and stop the tear. I'm 20/20 in both eyes now and have had no problem in several years. The best thing (which I did not realize) after the surgerys white was white instead of yellow. Quelle difference!!

Well Iff'en I has yourn issues I'da taken the ideer a tad more to heart.

However alls I gots is older eyes. Arms are too short to hold a book. Da dok gave me these here coke bottle bottoms and all is well.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-24-2007, 9:02 AM
Cliff,
I only have older eyes not stuff like that.

Ed Garrett
08-27-2007, 9:03 PM
Brent,

I vote, "No!"

In my opinion you should avoid any eye surgery if possible, even at the cost of having to wear glasses. I had cataract surgery 10 years ago. I had no choice. Unfortunately that increased my risk for retinal detachment, which happened 1.5 years ago. Unfortunately that led to scar tissue on my retina and wrinkling of the retina, which my ophthalmologist tells my will destroy my vision in that eye unless I have yet another risky surgery. I fear that I am well along the road toward losing useful vision in that eye. If I had any choice with any of these eye surgeries, I would have said, "No." I would worry about the long term side effects of lasik.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

Karamae Velez
08-28-2007, 1:49 AM
what do you mean by Lasik?

Nancy Laird
08-30-2007, 3:32 PM
Ed, according to my eye surgeon, having your cataracts done is NOT a process whereby you increase your odds of retinal detachment. The factors are (1) severity of myopia (nearsightedness) and (2) family history of retinal detachments. My eyes were about 20/800, and I had worn contact lenses for nearly 40 years, when suddenly I had a retinal detachment and had to have it repaired. Family history: my grandmother was blind in one eye from an unrepaired retina and my dad had both retinas detach within a period of about a month. After my surgery, the eye doctor referred me to another one for cataract surgery, and I had both eyes done. My uncorrected vision is about 20/15 now, with the new lens implants. I did have another retinal detachment in the other eye--resulting in four eye surgeries in a period of 15 months, but it won't happen again.

Karamae, Lasik is one of several procedures for correcting nearsightedness by means of a laser of other means, and has developed over the last 10-15 years as a way of allowing people to get rid of corrective lenses. There are three or four different procedures and you need to see a trained eye doctor who has done the procedures previously--and MANY of them. The vast majority of those who have had Lasik would never ever go back to the way they were!!

Nancy (113 days)