PDA

View Full Version : scraps for the BBQ

Marc Casebolt
08-21-2007, 3:29 PM
We are currently working on a 17' 3" desk for a corpoprate customer.
That is NOT A TYPO this desk is 17 feet- 3inches long, and made of cherry.

As strange as it may sound, I have never made anything from cherry before (West coast guy you know). So far I like how it works, I hope the finishing process is not too different than doing maple and similar woods.

I usually collect some clean shavings to use for smoking on the bar-b-que of what ever wood we use. Maple has a nice mellow flavor, oak is allways a good choice, as is alder. The best wood I've found believe it or not is avacado wood. I have never tried to make anything out of it, but if you can get your hands on some, the flavor and smell is just amazing.

Which brings me to my question. How many of you good folks use scraps from your projects to flavor food, and how well will my bag of cherry shavings work for me?

Do you have a favorite wood for smoking (from your shop)?

Thanks,

Marc

Matt Meiser
08-21-2007, 4:09 PM
I've used cherry in my smoker with good results. The cookbook I have calls it a milder wood than something like hickory.

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2007, 4:20 PM
I use cherry for poultry and fish, except for salmon, for that alder. It's a mild flavor that doesn't overpower the meat.

Jude Kingery
08-21-2007, 4:42 PM
Hi Marc, we use all my Mesquite shavings, very nice flavor for steaks, ribs. And shrimp on the grill. So I save those out separate from other woods just for grilling. Haven't used Cherry, let us know! Jude

Craig D Peltier
08-21-2007, 6:25 PM
I use fence post here out of untreated cedar about twice a weak planed on one side cut to length for salmon. Cost $2 for 5 or 6 pieces.
Soak it for 1 hr and put her on the grill.

Steve Clardy
08-21-2007, 7:23 PM
I throw in about anything for smoking, except treated lumber, mdf, or particle board.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2007, 8:18 PM
My smoker's instructions specifically warn against things like plywood and particle board. I would have thought it to be obvious. :confused: :eek:

John Shuk
08-21-2007, 9:43 PM
I use cherry all the time. I have lots growing around me so I'm never short on it. I also have hickory, oak, and maple. I like cherry best. I just use chunks and it works well.

Stephen Beckham
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I got commissioned by Maker's Mark to make some Pens out of their Barrels. The first batch came from Staves that had sat for up to three years from the barrel. Worked well and had lots of left over scraps for grilling.

The second batch were barrel heads that came off two weeks before I got them. The White Dog was so strong I could taste the brew as I was cutting - that has been some of the best smoking pieces I've ever used. And the gracious folks down there told me to keep the extra and use it as I pleased... It liked to burn white more than smoke for some reason...:rolleyes:

Stuart Johnson
08-22-2007, 2:37 PM
I use all of my scraps in the smoker with the exception of plywood, mdf, treated and pine. I start it and let it burn down then add it. I never use shavings and try to not add bark. Both shavings and bark just add white smoke that I think gives a bitter taste rather than flavor.

By the way, a tuna fish sized can of Mesquite, Cherry or Alder is being sold along side the charcoal briquettes as a flavor enhancer for $2.00 a can.