PDA

View Full Version : Gutters?

steve fleischmann
08-21-2007, 2:56 PM
I'm in the process of getting estimates for gutters. So far both estimates are within $100 but they use a different method of hanging them. The fascia is angled in,one uses spikes the other uses wedges to keep the gutters level. Pros cons? Of course each saleman touted their method.

Any input?

Steve

Lee Schierer
08-22-2007, 1:27 PM
I would advise against the nail and ferrel method of hanging, use screw mounted brackets. In cold parts of the country, ice will form in the gutters during cold weather. When it does, it will push out on the sides of the gutter. The nails will pull from the fascia and over time the gutter will fail. Long screws are less likely to fail, but will be more costly to start and to install.

When I added gutters to my house (NW PA) I selected vinyl gutters and downspouts. I essentially doubled teh manufacturers recommendations for support hangers, installed them with screws. When I re-sided the house 3 years ago, I was able to remove all the gutters without damage and put them back up after replacing the siding, soffett, drip edge, fascia and shingles on the house. I replaced the rubber seals at all the joints as it went back up (supplied for free by the manufactuer) My gutters have been in use for over 20 years and look like new and don't leak. We average 80+ inches of snow annually.

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2007, 1:50 PM
I agree, we had to replace 50' of gutter when it clogged and fell, due to the weight pulling the nails out. Checking the others I found that most of them had nails coming out as much as 1", so I replaced them all with screws.

Matt Meiser
08-22-2007, 2:06 PM
I agree, nails are terrible. My dad used to have all kinds of trouble with his gutters because of the nails working loose. He and I replaced one and put it back up with the brackets and it has stayed put for 15 years. Like Lee, they had it taken down a couple years ago to wrap the soffits and the contractor was able to put it back up with no damage. Theirs are aluminum.

Personally I think the brackets are easier anyway. We snapped a chalk line with the proper slope, put the brackets up to the line, then dropped the gutter in and closed the brackets. We didn't have to deal with supporting the long gutter while driving nails or anything like that.

Lou Ferrarini
08-24-2007, 1:11 PM
If you have a lot of trees around, you might want to consider the ones with covers. Sure is nice not having to clean out gutters anymore.

Jack Morrow
08-24-2007, 1:44 PM
If you have a lot of trees around, you might want to consider the ones with covers. Sure is nice not having to clean out gutters anymore.

+1

Next to wedding day, birthday of children and grandchild, the day we installed LeafGuard gutters is tops.

YMMV depending on the number of leaves you have,

Jack

Ed Garrett
08-27-2007, 8:52 PM
I did my own, used aluminum screws, saved a ton, and they have worked out great.

I've noticed most gutters get clogged at the downspout. I used a neat trick to make the gutters self cleaning: I put a decent (but not ridiculous) slope on them, and instead of using downspouts I simply ran the gutters cantilever style about 4 feet past each corner of the house. It makes a nice waterfall and the leaves, sticks, and pinecones just get launched to the ground along with the cascade. I told a couple of friends about and they got ill. They couldn't imagine gutters without downspouts. I asked them, "What works better? What looks better?"

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

David G Baker
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Ed,
I occasionally have downspout problems due to melting ice and snow freezing in my down spouts. I remove the end caps and let the water flow. I will have to think about adding on to the existing gutters and give your system a try. I am an "all for what works better" kind of guy.

Ed Garrett
08-28-2007, 5:10 PM
David,

It works great. I never have to clean gutters. I suspect it would help with ice too, although I would be concerned about the weight on the unsupported gutter segment sticking out from the house. At my house I've got one corner where I prefer the waterfall to land on pavement, which required a cantilevered run of about 5 feet of gutter. To increase the strength, I jammed one section of gutter into another and added a few stainless steel screws to force them to act as one piece of metal. It is much stronger, but if that segment built up a lot of ice I would still worry about strength. On the other hand, you might get less ice in the first place if the gutter is clog free and inherently drains the water more efficiently.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

David G Baker
08-28-2007, 5:47 PM
Ed,
I would extend the gutter only about 12 inches. A long extension would fail because of the weight of the ice without a doubt.
I will keep the downspouts in use during the warmer seasons and pull the end caps when it starts to freeze.