PDA

View Full Version : Shop Work Bench

Sean Troy
08-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey all, I would like to build my own shop work benches/counters and was wondering if using something like a 7 ply 3/4" oak for the top would work. Should I use something different (like OSB)for an underlayment to thicken/stiffen it up? Whats the best way to laminate the two? I'll be using base cabinets for underneath. 8 ft. each along two different walls.Thanks, Sean

Jim Becker
08-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Sean, if you laminate, stay with the same material for the layers. Just do the plywood...OSB isn't a really flat product. And don't rule out laminating MDF in two and three layers for tremendous mass. A 1/4" hardboard "topper" gives you a renewable surface. And this is all quite affordable. Do three layers for your "real" work bench (a hardwood apron looks nice and keeps the "topper" in place) and two for your general surfaces with or without the toppers. I just use BLO on them, but some folks prefer a coat or two of varnish. 'Just provide good support for your surfaces so they stay flat over time.

Sean Troy
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Great help. Thanks Jim.

Jason Beam
08-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Jim's gotcha covered, Sean. The only thing I'd mention is that the oak ply is probably not the best work surface. It may do fine with a nice finish as a shelf or end table top, but as a work surface where pounding and dragging and repeated beatings will take place, it wouldn't top my list of considerations. The actual oak on that stuff is one mighty thin veneer, less than 1/32" and would quickly disintegrate on you in a work shop.

The hardboard or masonite topper is excellent advice. If you were feeling lavish, you might consider formica for the top. Just be sure to laminate both sides so that moisture can move evenly through the whole plank. If not, you may end up with a banana! :P

Art Mann
08-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I built a 3 layer MDF workbench with a 1/4 inch hardboard top and hardwood skirt just exactly as Jim described. I made the top ultra flat and supported it well with a super sturdy (and heavy) red oak frame. The stiffness and flatness is really important. I used wipe on polyurethane varnish on it because that is what I had on hand at the time. I have been very pleased with the way it turned out.

Sean Troy
08-21-2007, 1:01 PM
Big Help ! Thanks