PDA

View Full Version : shellac over tung oil finish?

Jason Boushard
08-21-2007, 7:39 AM
is this possible? I have some waterlox but it is a satin finish (I havent used it yet) I have 4 coats of the tung oil finish on and it still isn't looking how I want I just want to put something on and wax it. I have to have this done by fri. wood is a brazilian cherry bowl.

Steve Schoene
08-21-2007, 8:16 AM
What kind of "tung oil finish" have you used? The reason I ask is that tung oil finish has no specific meaning. Some are varnishes--like Formby's, and some are oil/varnish mixes, like Minwax's. These may have little or no actual tung oil. Only if it says 100% Tung Oil or Pure Tung Oil is it actually tung oil. Each of these possibilities has somewhat different implications for overcoating with other materials.

Jason Boushard
08-21-2007, 8:25 AM
I dont know the details of it I am at work right now. I got it at HD and it was the only can with Tung oil Finish on the can. I like the way it feels I am just running out of time. Mom leaves Fri and I want to give this to her before she leaves.

Steve Schoene
08-21-2007, 9:05 AM
From Home Depot it's likely you have the Minwax Tung Oil Finish. (It would likely be in a yellow can.) If you followed the directions to apply and then wipe off excess, you shouldn't have built up an obvious coating. If that's the case then you can use shellac over it, and build what ever thickness you find attractive. The shellac will give a gloss finish, unless you rub it out with steel wool. Shouldn't be a problem finishing by Friday.

Jason Boushard
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
its behr tung oil finish its looks ok now that I am home last coat must have helped I am going to wax it and call it done I think. thanks for the help

Stephen Johnson
08-21-2007, 9:57 PM
Is it possible to put something over shellac to make it a little tougher/more resistant to spills?

Jim Becker
08-22-2007, 9:13 AM
Is it possible to put something over shellac to make it a little tougher/more resistant to spills?

Unless you leave spills on the shellac for a period of time, you'll not really have much of a problem. The only place I'd hesitate to use shellac as a final finish is for the kitchen table where I KNOW there will be frequent spills that don't get cleaned up as they should...nature of kids. But to your specific question, you can top coat shellac with varnish. But don't use anything with polyurethane (or any water borne) unless the shellac is de-waxed.