PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting into sharpening

Stefan Antwarg
01-26-2004, 9:01 AM
Hi

I am really wanting to get into more lathe work - especially faceplate tunings like bowls and such. I guess I have delayed the grinder purchase long enough. I have just purchased a complete Wolferine jig system (minus the fancy dresser) but I need a grinder. Can you all give me some recomendations on a grinder? I figure something in an 8" will be fine, but I am not sure how heavy duty of a grinder I should get. Also, variable speed, slow speed, or normal speed?

Thanks,
Stefan

Dennis McDonaugh
01-26-2004, 9:08 AM
Stephan, you want a low speed grinder for sharpening so there's less chance of heating up the tool and ruining its temper. I have a tormek, but its fairly pricey. I understand woodcraft has a good 8" low speed grinder for less than $100.

Ace Karner
01-26-2004, 9:37 AM
Since I use my grinder for more than sharpening I bought the Delta 8 inch Variable speed grinder for 129.95 at Lowes, I really like it

ace

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 9:41 AM
The best buy on the planet for a grinder to deal with turning tools is the 1725 rpm 8" unit available from Woodcraft for under a hundred bucks...including two white AO wheels. It's a perfect match for the Wolverine system and considering that the wheels themselves normally sell for about $35 or more... (You can't use the crappy grey wheels that come on most bench grinders and have to replace them for working with turning tools)

John Wadsworth
01-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I just finished setting up a new Delta slow-speed 8" grinder and the Wolverine system. This grinder isn't as cheap as the Woodcraft (or the variable speed Delta) but it's heavier (about 90 lbs IIRC) and runs like a champ. Comes with one white AO wheel and one gray.

Was going to use my big Baldor but the exhaust chutes interfere with the mounting of the Wolverine bases.

Have fun with it, whatever you get--the jig takes a lot of the stress out of sharpening turning tools.

Bill Grumbine
01-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Well I am going to jump in here with both my big feet and cause a ruckus. No offense to anyone who has posted what I am about to contradict, but here goes. First, Stefan, if you are buying the grinder for sharpening your lathe tools, and those tools are high speed steel (HSS), you cannot hurt them by grinding at a higher speed. That is only true for regular carbon steel tools. You may turn them blue, but you will not remove the temper. The only thing a slow speed grinder will do for you in this case is grind your tools slower. The case is different if you have regular carbon steel tools, or plan on using your grinder for chisels, plane irons, etc.

Secondly, while I agree with Jim for the most part about the crappy grey wheels, they do have a purpose. First, they are good for lawn mower blades and other items that need an edge and are not something for which you would like to use your good turning wheel. Second, the grey wheels are good for major reshaping, like when you first get a bowl gouge and want to change the grind. Finally, the grey wheel balances the grinder out and saves you the expense of having to buy two friable wheels, which ain't cheap and aren't really needed.

I have been turning for almost 11 years now, teaching for almost 10 of those 11 years, and have ground tools for hundreds of other people in that time. I use a 3450 rpm Jet 8" grinder.

Oh yeah - if you have gone to the expense of buying a Wolverine, get the wheel dresser. It does a great job, and will save you money in the long run by maintaining your wheels in a better state, making them last longer.

Bill

Kent Cori
01-26-2004, 10:44 AM
I have the 6" VS Delta grinder and a shop built version of the Oneway system. I do use the Oneway Varigrind gouge holder with it. The 6" has met all my needs. I use the VS feature often as it is ideal for grinding lathe tools at the lower speed and yet can produce the higher speeds needed for most other grinding needs.

I bought the 6" before the 8" version became available. If I were to buy one today I would spend the extra couple of bucks for the 8" for two reasons. The first is that the 6" has an unusual base that would require some work-arounds to mount the Oneway system. It wasn't a problem with my home made version but definitely is with the real McCoy. The second is that the 8" wheels give a little larger radius on the hollow ground effect and would be preferable.

Ray Dockrey
01-26-2004, 11:31 AM
I know Jim mentioned the Woodcraft grinder and Since I have that grinder I thought I would comment. I absolutely love the grinder and think it is a great buy and that it and the Wolverine system make a great match. I have had no problems with mine and it runs very smoothly with no vibration. Hope this helps.

Stefan Antwarg
01-26-2004, 11:39 AM
That 8" slow speed from woodcraft definitely sounds like a good deal. I have read in various places, including from Bill, that HSS will be fine with the fast speed. And then in other places that you must use sjow speed. It seems this is just personal preference if your tools at HSS. OTOH, the idea of buying a variable speed is attractive for the reasons mentioned. I will just have to decide.

Thanks,
Stefan

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
I have read in various places, including from Bill, that HSS will be fine with the fast speed. And then in other places that you must use sjow speed. It seems this is just personal preference if your tools at HSS.

HHS is fine with the 3650 rpm grinders, but the 1725 rpm is more forgiving even though it cuts nearly as fast. HHS can take the heat, but given we are all constantly learning how to sharpen, if the small cut in speed can reduce the aggressiveness a little...besides, you'll be sharpening evey few minutes anyway and only touching up. You can always keep a cheap high-speed unit on hand for rough tool making, etc.

For the record, both of my grinders are 3650 rpm as they were bought long before I even knew about the Woodcraft deal. But if I were buying today, it would be right up there on the short list.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Didn't someone post a while back about having a problem with the Woodcraft Grinder being out of balance? Seems that no matter what they tried, it still had a balance problem. I may be mistaken, but this sure rings a bell. Also comes to mind that they returned it, and took a couple more out of the box in the store, and they had the same problem? If I am mistaken about the Brand of Grinder I am referring to, my apologies. Sure rings a bell though....................

David Rose
01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Kevin, I read that too. Even if you buy one off the shelf and find it in balance, I don't know if you might have problems when the stones wear some. Bad balance can be caused by the stones, which are bound to be cheaper imports to sell with the grinder at that price, or it could be the armature itself. If it is the stones, and you get good ones, you would be fine for awhile. If slightly out of balance stones countered an out of balance armature, you are sunk when wheels need replacing.

I bought one of the 8" "tool truck specials" once that wouldn't stay on a bench with no stones mounted. It was really cheap and worth less than that.

David

Didn't someone post a while back about having a problem with the Woodcraft Grinder being out of balance? Seems that no matter what they tried, it still had a balance problem. I may be mistaken, but this sure rings a bell. Also comes to mind that they returned it, and took a couple more out of the box in the store, and they had the same problem? If I am mistaken about the Brand of Grinder I am referring to, my apologies. Sure rings a bell though....................

Carl Eyman
01-26-2004, 1:40 PM
I got a Woodcraft for Xmas. Still waiting for the One-Way to ship, But the grinder works fine out of the box. Haven't bolted it down yet, but it just sits there and grinds away - no vibration.

Michael Campbell
01-26-2004, 3:21 PM
The best buy on the planet for a grinder to deal with turning tools is the 1725 rpm 8" unit available from Woodcraft for under a hundred bucks...including two white AO wheels. It's a perfect match for the Wolverine system and considering that the wheels themselves normally sell for about $35 or more... (You can't use the crappy grey wheels that come on most bench grinders and have to replace them for working with turning tools)

As long as you are *really* careful about heat, the grey wheels work just fine. The AOs are not strictly necessary, but work well and are easier to control.

That said, the Woodcraft unit is a really good buy.

Richard Allen
01-26-2004, 4:09 PM
Hi Kevin

Woodcraft starting haveing a problem with their 8" slow speed grinders a couple of years ago. Some were fine and some bounced. They droped that supplier and now get the grinder from a different source. These new grinders have worked well and the old issue of unbalanced grinders has been eliminated.

Woodcraft also has a dual speed 8" grinder with one white wheel and one 60 grit grey wheel. That grinder will sometimes fail if you switch speed while the grinder is running.

Ed Weiser
01-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Stefan,
The speed of your grinder is based on both the revolutions speed (RPM) and the diameter of the wheel. That said, in practical use a 6" grinder at 3450 RPM is fine and an 8" machine at 1750 RPM has been described by some authors as a little slow for general tool grinding. In reality the friability of your grinding wheel is a more significant issue when the development of heat (bad for tools, HSS or not) is considered. More friable wheels (AO in J or K) will be less inclined to glaze and dress more easily. Buy a quality grinder and friable AO wheels (for tool steel) and worry less about RPM and size. Technique and patience probably matter most. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Ed

John Wadsworth
01-27-2004, 8:14 AM
Stefan,

I second Ed's comments about grinder speed. I used white and pink AO wheels on a 3450RPM 8" for years, even on carbon steel tools, and never (after a couple of learning experiences) burned anything. It takes a light hand and frequent checking (and for carbon steel, quenching), but it can be done.

I find that the slower 1725RPM 8" I have my Wolverine set up for makes for more relaxed work. And don't worry about it's stretching out your sharpening time--I reground a big roughing gouge the other day, taking off lots of steel, and it still took only a few minutes, When "touching up" a well-shaped tool, there is no appreciable difference in time at all.

So you can go either way, but do invest in at least one good AO wheel.

Stefan Antwarg
01-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Are the AO wheels the 8" grinder from woodcraft acceptable? Or should I upgrade those?

Stefan

Ray Dockrey
01-27-2004, 11:05 AM
They are very acceptable and that is the main reason to buy it because you get the better wheels. I have had mine for about six months and have no regrets in buying it. The wheels are awesome. You won't be disappointed.

Steve Inniss
01-27-2004, 11:52 AM
The only thing I would add to Bill's answer(page 1) is buy one white stone and install, use the rough grey for shaping and white for frequent touch ups. I also strongly recommend building your own jig for consistent angle grinding, while allowing the appropriate sweep depending on tool profile. -Steve

Bill Grumbine
01-27-2004, 2:17 PM
The only thing I would add to Bill's answer(page 1) is buy one white stone and install, use the rough grey for shaping and white for frequent touch ups. I also strongly recommend building your own jig for consistent angle grinding, while allowing the appropriate sweep depending on tool profile. -Steve

Good point Steve. That is exactly what I have done, and just sort of assumed that it came through in my post. :o

Bill

Stefan Antwarg
01-27-2004, 9:02 PM
Well, I now own a 8: slow speed grinder which I bought from woodcraft today. Now I have no excuses.

Thanks Again!

Steve Inniss
01-29-2004, 5:12 PM
Good point Steve. That is exactly what I have done, and just sort of assumed that it came through in my post. :o

Bill
Well it did mostly Bill. I just agreed with and enjoyed your common sense approach, wanted to emphasize one thing, add another, but mostly ride on your coattails. -Steve