PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection??

Brian Keith
08-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Im in the market for a dust collector. My ridgid wet vac is great but time to get a dedicated system. My shop is tiny,10'x16' so I was looking at the Jet at rockler for $230 or a local Lowes has a delta ap400 for $199. Are these decent collectors for a table saw,band saw,jointer,and bench top sander? What other options are there in this price range? Thanks

Michael McCoy
08-21-2007, 7:07 AM
You'll find a variety of opinions but keep in mind the amount of real estate you have to work with. I have a Delta 1 1/2HP doing the bulk of my dust collecting and it does an acceptable (for me) job but use a Fein Turbo for my sanders and band saw. I wouldn't even think of trying to use it for my jointer though.

Mike Langford
08-21-2007, 1:50 PM
Brian,

I have the Delta AP400 (650cfm) and it has performed flawlessly in my small shop.
I only use it for one tool at a time and the one tool that I thought would test it the most would be my Performax 22/44 drum sander,but.....No problem, it works fine!

I also use to only have one hose hooked up and would mostly leave it on the table saw and then unhook it when I needed to use it on my other tools.

Now I have a "Y" mounted at the collector with blast gates and two hoses...One for my table saw and the other I'm in the process of running PVC duct work across my shop for my other tools. (mostly the Performax)

70386 70387

70388 70389

I hooked up the PVC at ground level to see what kind of suction I'd have at the drum sander(before committing to ceiling mounting!).......Running a 10' hose off the collector, roughly 18' of PVC, and finally another 10' hose over to the sander.....It worked like a charm!! :) Plenty of Suction!!

I'm also going to Plumb in a "Y" (with blast gates) mid-way to run another leg down the center of my shop (another 20')
(I'll plug it for now until I get sum mo money to buy the gates and PVC! :o )

I use shop vacs for my RO sanders and the Bandsaw.....

Hope this helps!

James Phillips
08-21-2007, 1:55 PM
Im in the market for a dust collector. My ridgid wet vac is great but time to get a dedicated system. My shop is tiny,10'x16' so I was looking at the Jet at rockler for $230 or a local Lowes has a delta ap400 for $199. Are these decent collectors for a table saw,band saw,jointer,and bench top sander? What other options are there in this price range? Thanks

With you space constraint I would let the table saw and jointer spit chips; these sre not really a health issue since they are "big". I would get a festool of fein hepa rated dust collector for sanding. Remember Dust collection is not about a "clean" shop, but rather a healthy shop

Jim Podsedly
08-21-2007, 2:05 PM
I am generally not a fan of most HF tools but the 2HP HF dust collector is a bargain. Usually you can get it for $149. Add .5 micon bags and you have a nice setup.

my .02
Jim

Brian Keith
08-21-2007, 2:53 PM
Thanks all for the input,Im on my way to Lowes to check out the Delta dc they have.