PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for disposing of Craftsman Table saw?

Gary Warren
08-20-2007, 7:49 PM
I still use my dad's old Craftsman Contractor table saw but I must say it just cant do what I would like for it to do so it is time to upgrade. Do any of you have any good suggestions for getting rid of it to some good cause? I do not need any money for it so I would like for it to go to some good use but not sure who would take it and yet not have any liabilities tied back to me?

Greg Peterson
08-20-2007, 7:50 PM
Post it on Craigslist.

Scot Ferraro
08-20-2007, 7:54 PM
I donated mine to Salvation Army -- they came and picked it up with no problem and gave me the receipt.

Scot

Jim O'Dell
08-20-2007, 8:02 PM
Of course you could keep it and use it as an out feed table. Will it run a daddo blade? Could be dedicated to that and still be an outfeed table. Or there are several charities. Even Habitat for Humanity could probably put it to use. Jim.

Nancy Laird
08-20-2007, 8:22 PM
I second Jim's suggestion of Habitat for Humanity. I'm sure it would be sufficient for cut-offs and framing.

Nancy (123 days)

Matt Meiser
08-20-2007, 8:42 PM
We have a Habitat ReStore here where you can just drop stuff off. They make a list of your donation and send you a letter. We took all our old window sashes, old front door, some computer equipment and other misc. building materials. They sell what they can't use and use the procedes to fund their builds and we get a tax deduction.

glenn bradley
08-20-2007, 9:05 PM
My dad had an old Delta. Kept the motor and posted the saw free for pickup. Local retired gentlman took it off his hands. Both happy.

Don Bullock
08-20-2007, 9:38 PM
When I bought my SawStop this year I gave the old (1979) Craftsman contractors table saw to Habitat for Humanity. I read a post where someone else did the same thing so I emailed them. In the reply I got a telephone number and arranged for them to pick it up. They were happy to have it. I'm not sure if they used for their home construction or if they sold it in their store. I thought it went to an appropriate place and after all those years didn't owe me anything.

Gary Warren
08-21-2007, 3:14 PM
I cannot use the saw for daddo as the arbor will not properly support more than 1/4" on the non-threaded portion thus the reason I need to upgrade. I like the Habitat for Humanity idea. I did not know they even had their own stores. Thanks guys for all of the good suggestions. Now my big problem is what kind of saw to upgrade to. So many good choices!~

Nancy Laird
08-21-2007, 3:22 PM
Now my big problem is what kind of saw to upgrade to. So many good choices!~

That's easy, Gary!!! Steel City!!!! Take a good look before you buy.

Nancy (122 days)

Rob Russell
08-21-2007, 3:37 PM
Put a 10" disk in it and use it as a sander, if you don't already have one.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-21-2007, 5:05 PM
My old TS has a Metal cutting blade permanently mounted in it. It's out to pasture so to speak.

Jeff Raymond
08-21-2007, 8:41 PM
Don't know where you live, but saw one fella's shop. He took an old TS table and put it on top of his wood stove: Holds the heat and radiates it...think warm thoughts about your dad?

Doug Shepard
08-21-2007, 8:54 PM
One word -
Trebuchet
http://www.fitz-claridge.com/Trebuchet/piano.html
Pianos are getting so passe though. It's about time someone filmed a good old fashioned CMan fling.:D

Bruce Wrenn
08-21-2007, 9:59 PM
Last year, I gave mine away through local ww assoc. Only condition was that recept. couldn't sell it, had to give it away also. Guy was happy to get it, and I was happy to have it out of my way. Bought the saw in 1982, and probably made over 100K with it. Unfortunately, I now have four Delta contractors saws along with a Uni. It's a long story!

Bryan Rocker
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I turned my old table saw into a sander. I went to the local woodcraft store and bought the 10" flat plate and put 80 grit on one side and 120 on the other. It works like a champ!!!

Ron Brese
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Doug,

I remember an episode of Northern Exposure in which the character named Chris was building a trebuchet to fling a cow, however when he found out that had been done in a Monty Python movie, he decided instead to fling a piano with the trebuchet, it was hilarious!

Ron