PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. I got to spend some time in the shop alone. Some with kids and mostly with the rain coming down and the leaks dripping into each spots on bucket. I guess after I get the septic problem fixed this spring and get the A/C fixed on LOML's car, I can at least start "thinking" about finding someone to fix a metal roof. Sheesh!!!! Does it ever end? :confused:

I did spend most of the weekend in the shop. Since I don't have any projects in the mix.....I decided to pull a "Terry Hatfield" and do some, gulp.......cleaning....and reorganizing.

The first pic is where my lumber storage used to be and what it looked like BEFORE I got done with it later Saturday afternoon.

The second pic is what that area looks like NOW.

The third pic is my newly organized lathe area with small cabinet and I moved my turning tools from a free standing type stand to a wall mount so I could gain a little more floor space.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks.......

Tyler Howell
01-26-2004, 6:42 AM
Dennis,

A random act of neatness looking good. Did you get the leak plugged on our new compressor? :) Say listen, future reference, just tell us straight what story you want us to tell your wife. You want a new compressor? You got it buddy. A new shop? The creative writers in this group can have it condemned and a threat to society in no time. We can work it out. We’re here to help.:p Got the DWV plumbing done. Sh** does go down hill. Pipe is capped and ready for inspection. A little concrete work and we’ll be ready to cook. Still have to install kitchen sink, dish washer, and disposal. After three years it will be nice to have a kitchen again. Too much fun Saturday night, had to hibernate almost all day yesterday. That’s what we do up here in the ice box when no one else wants to come outside and play.:o Have a good week.

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2004, 9:15 AM
Dennis,

A random act of neatness looking good. Did you get the leak plugged on our new compressor? :) Say listen, future reference, just tell us straight what story you want us to tell your wife. You want a new compressor? You got it buddy. A new shop? The creative writers in this group can have it condemned and a threat to society in no time. We can work it out. We’re here to help.:p Got the DWV plumbing done. Sh** does go down hill. Pipe is capped and ready for inspection. A little concrete work and we’ll be ready to cook. Still have to install kitchen sink, dish washer, and disposal. After three years it will be nice to have a kitchen again. Too much fun Saturday night, had to hibernate almost all day yesterday. That’s what we do up here in the ice box when no one else wants to come outside and play.:o Have a good week.

Mornin' Tyler..!!!! Nope....didn't get the leak plugged in my new compressor. I'm still waiting to here back from CH before I start tearing it down.

Well.....I guess ya'll talked her into a new compressor.....but we are honestly empty as far as money goes....If everything goes well, we will only have to cough up about $7K to fix BOTH the septic system and LOML's A/C in her suburban.

Glad to here that you are making progress on your kitchen. Dude!!!! 3 years without a kitchen.!!! LOML would "hang me out to dry"!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Stay warm bud......and keep making progress on that kitchen.

keith zimmerman
01-26-2004, 10:06 AM
As posted in another thread, my major accomplishment this weekend was to get my new lathe set up and turn something. I was successful on both fronts.

Now I can spin away to my heart's content.

keithz

Jim Becker
01-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Not a lot of "woodworking" this weekend, but plenty of time in the shop. It was pretty cold around here, so a little time was lost waiting for things to warm up to a comfortable 60º. At least the insulation I installed in the walls while finishing the shop kept it from falling below 32º overnight, even with it being zero or so outside.

Saturday morning, Chris Pasko came up from Baltimore to pick up his "new" OneWay 1018 lathe and we had a nice chat. His timing was great as I just finished watching Norm build a wooden folding screen when he pulled up into the drive. LOML was at the office working on a grant, so it was off to the shop to disassemble the OneWay. For the remainder of the day, I busied myself putting the new lathe, a Stubby 750, together as detailed in another thread.

Saturday night after a nice "pasta with fungus" dinner that LOML prepared, we watched Pirates of the Carribean (very entertaining)...I doubt we'll ever "go to the movies" again between NetFlix and the home theater stuff that I put together for Ali. We watch 'em and they keep sending more!

Sunday started late and after a nice breakfast with Ali and the birdies I got back in the shop to get the Stubby dirty and do a little more work in preparation for the new DC/Compressor closet. Depending on the weather, I should be able to complete that work next weekend.

Tyler Howell
01-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Dennis,

Advantages and disadvantages of not having a lovely wife are that you can leave the kitchen gutted for 3.5 years. ;) Big piles of sawdust all over and dinning room converted to a shop. (No Terry Hatfields here)
Now even the dog is complaining. Must be a connection between joining the Creek and getting back to work on the kitchen. Learned a lot from you guys. Thanks :D

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2004, 11:07 AM
As I posted last night, I finished up the Accent Table. My daughter came home and thought we bought a new table, fooled her. Anyways, nice to be done with that one.

I started and nearly finished a small table to sit next to a recliner. I have to spray one more clear coat of lacquer on the underside of the top, lite sand and wax the top and a finial coat of black lacquer on the bottom. She will be finished. I'll post a pic tonight maybe.

We got a small ice storm Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. So yesterday was spent taking the daughter to work and getting the driveway cleared. Damn near wrecked her car. I went half way up the drive and slid down. She always parks to too close to the drive (in the street). i thought I had it stopped and then when i went to go it slipped again and slide into it. No damage thank goodness. More snow on top of the ice today.

A buddy brought by some type of ionizing machine to clean the air in the house (He sells them). Verdict is out on it but, the house has a new smell. The wife and I tried to figure out how to discribe it and finally agreed that it smells like the air in the morning when you been camping. Fresh, but kind of moist. Works good as I sprayed lacquer in the shop and you could not detect a smell in the air, something different from teh day before. Only problem I see is that she likes to burn candles and this thing removes the smell. We'll have to see how well it works after a night of beer and chilli :rolleyes: .

Jack Diemer
01-26-2004, 11:37 AM
As I posted last night, I finished up the Accent Table. My daughter came home and thought we bought a new table, fooled her. Anyways, nice to be done with that one.

I started and nearly finished a small table to sit next to a recliner. I have to spray one more clear coat of lacquer on the underside of the top, lite sand and wax the top and a finial coat of black lacquer on the bottom. She will be finished. I'll post a pic tonight maybe.

We got a small ice storm Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. So yesterday was spent taking the daughter to work and getting the driveway cleared. Damn near wrecked her car. I went half way up the drive and slid down. She always parks to too close to the drive (in the street). i thought I had it stopped and then when i went to go it slipped again and slide into it. No damage thank goodness. More snow on top of the ice today.

A buddy brought by some type of ionizing machine to clean the air in the house (He sells them). Verdict is out on it but, the house has a new smell. The wife and I tried to figure out how to discribe it and finally agreed that it smells like the air in the morning when you been camping. Fresh, but kind of moist. Works good as I sprayed lacquer in the shop and you could not detect a smell in the air, something different from teh day before. Only problem I see is that she likes to burn candles and this thing removes the smell. We'll have to see how well it works after a night of beer and chilli :rolleyes: .

Hope they sell an industrial sized unit to pass that last quality test.

Kurt Aebi
01-26-2004, 3:47 PM
I Finished up an easel for my wife's workplace.

Nothing fancy, just pine and masonite. They wanted it to hold a 3' x 5' white board for their conference room and also for those flip chart tablets.

Simple design, it stands about 5' tall and is about 4' wide. It could easily be scaled down and have a white board on one side and chalkboard on the other for kids to draw on.