PDA

View Full Version : A follow up on... Shop Location - What Would You Do?

Bart Leetch
08-20-2007, 4:03 PM
I believe that if one has to build a shop & also a house that building the shop in the basement would be the less expensive choice.

Where I live there are places that are basically a gravel bar down where you would put the basement & drainage is no problem.

Now my idea & question.

A purpose built basement just for a wood shop with a 10' ceiling & a walk in entry. With no access to the house above accept by walking out of the shop & back into the house & a separate heating & cooling system with its own 100 amp electric breaker box.

Now my question is about the LOML's worst fear smells & odors from finishing & other woodworking operations.

WHAT TO DO????????

Sealing against smell going up???

Exhausting smells so they do not go up etc???

This must be as close to 100% as possible.

It is my dream to have a shop but the LOML doesn't want it in the basement because of these reasons.

I do want it in the basement because of being able to have the temperature stay close to the same all the time & the lower cost to build.

Don Bullock
08-20-2007, 4:29 PM
Bart, that's an interesting dilemma you have. :eek: Where I live (Southern California) basements are very rare. We don't have that choice. Most of us have our workshops in an attached garage. As for the problem of smells & odors from finishing & other woodworking operations, perhaps we do get some of the finishing odors in the house from time to time. I do most of that work out on a patio though. I can't imagine what other odors she's worried about. A good layer of insulation and a vapor barrier between the house and the shop should take care of the problem. Living in your area and the weather you have much of the year, I don't see why you couldn't have a well sealed door at the top of an indoor stariway somewhere in the house for easier access to the shop. Opening and closing a door isn't goint to allow any odors to permeate the house. Frankly, like you I'd love tio have a shop in the basement "because of being able to have the temperature stay close to the same all the time & the lower cost to build." My garage shop gets very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Installing AV and heating would be costly and not very effective.

Gary Keedwell
08-20-2007, 4:37 PM
I have a basement shop and love it. I can go down there any time I want rain or shine. I can also go down there in my skivvies if I feel like it. LOML hasn't complained about any smells and I haven't noticed any either. I doused some parts in BLO last nite and after 25 minutes I went back down to wipe off. Strong odor down there.....nothing upstairs. ( my house..not me:p )

Gary K.

William Nimmo
08-20-2007, 4:56 PM
I recently sprayed lacquor on a decent size project in my basement shop. Went through 2 gallons using hvlp. I used 2 high velocity fans blowing out a window and opened the door on the other side of the basement for cross ventilation. Smelled really strong outside but the wife said she smelled nothing at all upstairs.
I have no insulation or vapor barrier between the floors.
Go for it.

David DeCristoforo
08-20-2007, 4:58 PM
Well, once again, I find myself on the other side of the majority opinion. Why in god's name anyone would choose a basement shop over a garage is beyond my comprehension. Access, noise, dust whatever...it seems to me that all of these things would point to an above ground shop being better. The cost of building a partition and maybe setting up some climate control cannot possibly be more that what it's going to cost to soundproof a basement. Plus, I can't imagine an "underground" shop being a more plesant environment than an above ground workspace. My neighbor has a shop in his basement and it seem like every other day he's needing me to come over and help him hump something up or down his stairs. Who needs it? Maybe if it were your only option I could see it but if you have the choice? Naa...

Jim Becker
08-20-2007, 5:06 PM
I'll always prefer a shop in a separate building for many reasons, but if I had to have it in a basement, most of the features you describe, Bart, are what I wouldn't mind having...the ceiling height, etc. I don't know that I'd not have an indoor path to the home, however, if not direct from the shop, at least from somewhere on the same level. And with a basement shop, I wouldn't use finishes such as solvent based lacquer...ever...unless said shop included a properly provisioned spray booth, and even then I'd not necessarily feel comfortable with it.

A basement shop for me would also need to be in a walk-out situation with direct access to vehicles for material delivery and project extraction...no stairs.

One other idea...if you did this, try to use building methodologies that eliminate any support posts if at all possible. That means, in most cases, engineered building materials that can span and support substantial distance and weight.

Gary Keedwell
08-20-2007, 5:19 PM
Well, once again, I find myself on the other side of the majority opinion. Why in god's name anyone would choose a basement shop over a garage is beyond my comprehension. Access, noise, dust whatever...it seems to me that all of these things would point to an above ground shop being better. The cost of building a partition and maybe setting up some climate control cannot possibly be more that what it's going to cost to soundproof a basement. Plus, I can't imagine an "underground" shop being a more plesant environment than an above ground workspace. My neighbor has a shop in his basement and it seem like every other day he's needing me to come over and help him hump something up or down his stairs. Who needs it? Maybe if it were your only option I could see it but if you have the choice? Naa...
What's so hard to comprehend? Everybody who comes down to my basement loves it. Painted all the walls white...plenty of florescent lights over head...my sealed floor is painted tan....I have a nice pellet stove that heats the whole thing and gives it great ambience...I have Cable TV...a small work-out area...I have access from outside and inside..I have dust control and Festool sanders and vac. There is no noise because of the fiberglass insulation between the joists. It is never hot down there in the summer...Toasty down there in the winter....What's NOT to like about it?:)

Gary K.

Don Bullock
08-20-2007, 5:25 PM
Well, once again, I find myself on the other side of the majority opinion. Why in god's name anyone would choose a basement shop over a garage is beyond my comprehension. ... Maybe if it were your only option I could see it but if you have the choice? Naa...

Climate control would be my best reason. Controling the climate in my garage would not be cost effective. Even if I fully insolated it the morning sun hits that large garage door heats it up fairly quickly in the summer and in the winter, even in Southern California, it is often too cold to work in there.

Perhaps my memories of our basement shops that we had when I was a kid have been somewhat skewed over time. I don't remember any of the problems that you mentioned. Fortunately we didn't have any water problems except I do remember my dad buying a dehumidifier to cut down on the moisture. The humidity in Virginia in the summer is quite high.

Like Jim, if I had my choice I'd opt for a separate building. It's my hope that when my wife and I look for a place to live in a couple of years that I'll be able to have a dedicated shop building. It doesn't sound like Bart has that option because of the extra cost involved.

Bruce Lessem
08-20-2007, 5:27 PM
Hey Bart, good position to be in. I faced a similar choice 4 years ago and elected to have a shop built attached to my new house versus building a seperate building. It is on the same slab, no basements in central Texas, and shares a wall with my house. The shop is 18' by 26' and has a 10ft ceiling. There is a french door (double) on one wall and a one car size garage door facing it on the opposite wall, allowing access to the shop. Plenty of electrics, 3- 220 volt outlets and 110v all around including over the workbench. I elected to go with a window A/C and space heaters. I wanted to keep the air seperate from the central air house unit. There is no door between the shop and house. I wanted it completely seperate from the house(noise, dust, fumes, air temp, etc). Only regret is not making it twice the size!! Sorry no pictures--Still collecting tools.

Good luck, Bruce in Georgetown, Texas.

Bart Leetch
08-20-2007, 6:09 PM
Well, once again, I find myself on the other side of the majority opinion. Why in god's name anyone would choose a basement shop over a garage is beyond my comprehension. Access, noise, dust whatever...it seems to me that all of these things would point to an above ground shop being better. The cost of building a partition and maybe setting up some climate control cannot possibly be more that what it's going to cost to soundproof a basement. Plus, I can't imagine an "underground" shop being a more pleasant environment than an above ground workspace.Who needs it? Maybe if it were your only option I could see it but if you have the choice? Naa... My neighbor has a shop in his basement and it seem like every other day he's needing me to come over and help him hump something up or down his stairs.

David sorry if I'm a little blunt I grew up in a building family.

First of all I am talking about a newly built house & shop under optimum conditions. Ya I know dream on......but this is where we start & then adapt & overcome.

1. Access, noise, dust whatever...it seems to me that all of these things would point to an above ground shop being better.

I would have to design for these things anyway so why not do them to a basement?

2. Plus, I can't imagine an "underground" shop being a more pleasant environment than an above ground workspace.

If arraigned properly you can put obscure glass between each of the beams supporting the upper floor & have approximately 16" tall windows all along both long sides of the house above where you would temporarily lean 8' long material. Plus windows & doors in the ground level end of the shop.

3. The cost of building a partition and maybe setting up some climate control cannot possibly be more that what it's going to cost to soundproof a basement.

I guess you don't understand the situation. In a basement the temperature doesn't change very much it stays fairly stable & may not change more than 6 - 10 degrees throughout the year if that much.

As to the partition the whole basement is the shop. I may need some parting walls for a bathroom. But thats about all.

Insulation for sound well I would have to insulate any building I built anyway. You only insulate once the electric or gas bill comes every month so which is cheaper?

3. My neighbor has a shop in his basement and it seems like every other day he's needing me to come over and help him hump something up or down his stairs.

Again building it from scratch I would have a double door entrance where I could walk straight out & right up to a truck carrying what ever I want to bring into the shop or haul away.

Its always been my understanding that a basement is the less expensive part of the house to build & is also less expensive to heat & if need be cool. Cooling I don't have to worry about.

On to the problem of smells. What about a finishing room with exhaust fans run up through exhaust stacks on the outside of the walls in a chase & up through the soffet high enough for the breeze to blow the smell away? We seem to always have a breeze here.

The whole reason I brought this topic up is cost per square foot to build lets face it I would have to put some sort of foundation in anyway so for a few more dollars just make it a little deeper in the ground. Also heating would be less & the LOML's abjection to smells. She has a very very sensitive smeller.

This is not saying that I wouldn't like to have a separate building say something like a Pole building. But then there is the garage & house. I just thought 1 less whole building to build. Not to mention taxes.

This is a ways in the future. We have been looking at existing places with a house & out building for a shop for quite a while now. But what people call a shop & what really is a shop is usually a long way apart. The big thing seems to be electrical they put in 5-6 110 volt plugs & a few 60 watt bulbs & a 2 breaker box & wow all of a sudden its a shop. when in reality it still a horse barn just better lit & more plugs.

Andrew Williams
08-20-2007, 6:44 PM
Hydronic heat will make a big difference. Seems to me that the most often heard complaints about smell are due to the furnace circulating air from the basement into the house. I have a basement shop and usually smell nothing in the house, except in the bathroom that is directly above the room where I leave my linseed oil rags hanging to dry. The water pipes go up through there. The house is heated with a boiler and baseboard fin-radiators. I also have a very large window in the main part of the shop mostly made from glass bricks which lets in a large amount of natural light.

If you are concerned about finish smells, then a forced ventilation system would be the best idea, combined with fresh air entry so it doesn't come in through your furnace/boiler exhaust chimney. Besides, it will be safer, considering the tendency of evaporated organic solvents to fall to the floor, closer to the ignition sources of your water heater and furnace/boiler.

The temperature down there is 62 in the heated winter and 70 in the summer with no A/C, and the humidity goes from 35% in winter to 50% in summer with a dehumidifier.

The biggest issue for me has been the stairs, but since I rigged up the ramp system that is not as much of an issue.

David DeCristoforo
08-20-2007, 6:56 PM
Hey Bart, Jim, Don, Gary....I'm not arguing...just "saying". Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather be above ground, regardless.... Please don't think I'm trying to deconstruct your preferences....I'm not. Maybe it's my claustrophobia... When I was in Nevada, my shop was literally on a mountain top with clear line of sight for, well, a really long way, through large windows I had in every wall. My shop in CA is in a "tilt-up" with no view hardly at all except out the roll up door. Might as well be in a basement I guess....

Bart Leetch
08-20-2007, 7:12 PM
[QUOTE=David DeCristoforo;644370]When I was in Nevada, my shop was literally on a mountain top with clear line of sight for, well, a really long way, through large windows I had in every wall. QUOTE]

Not a problem David.

It either late afternoon or night time or the week end when I get to play in the shop & all I have for a window is a storm door now.

The only advantage in having windows is the light & that is if you don't stop & look up to see out of them anyway.

Andrew

One of our considerations is to slide a manufactured home on over the basement so all the heating systems would be seperate & heat pumps which seem work pretty good here in the Pacific North West.

Art Mulder
08-20-2007, 9:38 PM
Now my question is about the LOML's worst fear smells & odors from finishing & other woodworking operations.

Bart,

I've had a basement shop in my current house for over 8 years. Now, to be fair, I'm just a hobbiest with a young family, so I am NOT doing that much finishing.

But still, we have no issues at all with smells. (or noise, not really, but you don't list that.)

I actually am usually more sensitive to smells than my wife.

What I would recommend first is to make sure you put in a good dust collection system, since that is one source of smell -- all that wood dust.
Next would be good ventilation. I only have two very small windows in my basement (the one major negative to a basement shop) and only one of them is in my shop. But I will open both and run a 12" fan, which I have semi-permanently mounted in the window, whenever I finish.

And finally would be to switch to water based finishes. I use flecto-varathane water based finish a lot for when I want a film-building poly-type finish, and it really doesn't smell that much, and it dissipates quickly.

I do not, ever, use oil-based paint. ever. never. (Actually I did once in our kids bedroom, since we had an almost full can that the previous owner left behind. And that was a never ever again over my dead body situation, as the room was unlivable for more than a WEEK after painting.)

I use shellac sometimes - mixed from flake - and we find that the smell really does not travel much, and it dissipates quickly. I have used polymerized tung oil, but that stinks quite a bit. Instead I now used "Circa 1850 Tung-n-teak" when I want a tung-like oil finish, and it wipes on/off very well, and the odors are minor.

Really, Bart, it sounds to me like your plan will more than compensate for the situation, and I'd even go so far as to say that it is overkill. (the bit about not having any connection between the basement and main floor.)

Hmm, from a code point of view you'll need two exits from your basement for safety won't you? So if you don't put in a stairs to the main floor, you'll need a big egress window of some kind, I would think.

best,
...art

Don Bullock
08-20-2007, 9:53 PM
... Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather be above ground, regardless.... ...When I was in Nevada, my shop was literally on a mountain top with clear line of sight for, well, a really long way, through large windows I had in every wall. .....

Hey David, I fully understand. Wow, if I could have a shop like the one you describe in Nevada I would be thrilled. That sure would be my ideal. Unfortunately that's not possible for me right now --- maybe in the near future ---, but it just doesn't seem to be the answer for Bart. He's trying to get the best shop for his buck. A basement shop like he describes sounds like a good solution for him.

Mike Heidrick
08-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I say do whatever the wife wants. If she wants you to have a detached workshop with AC and Heat, I think you should honor her request ;) You will never be sorry you did.
Use the basement for the theater room!!!

Gary Hoemann
08-21-2007, 9:46 AM
We are in the process right now of building a new house, and the shop will be in the basement. First, I knew that I would start to skimp on a seperate building as the costs for the house became a reality. Second, there are answers to most all of the downsides to a basement shop.
I used a precast basement(superior walls) and have them 10 foot high.
it is a space of about 1800 square feet that I would never have built as a seperate structure. I will enter only from the garage, and I found an old scissor lift and planned a well for it in the garage, so I can back my truck into the garage and unload onto the lift and send it down to the basement, and of course bring anything back up.
The basement is entirely below ground, which is not my favorite, butthe lot just would not accomodate a walkout. I installed an oversized egress window for light and ventilation, also means a future owner could use it for living space. This amount of space will allow me to have a bath, office, and seperate finishing room. A good dust collection system, some good insulation, run the dust piping up in the open floor trusses. Being in EastTennesse, I don't anticipate the need for any auxilary heat or cooling.
By the way, anyone building owes it to themselves to check out the Superior Wall product. Precast, insulated, cast with holes for running water and power lines, and for me about 30% cheaper than cast in place.

John Thompson
08-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Morning Bart...

I have both as my main shop and saw-dust producing area is in the underneath garage at about 900 sq. ft. I also have a totally underground 1/2 basement (900 sq. ft.) that is used for wood-rack.. dedicated scary sharp bench and smaller machine storage as all my machines are mobile and can be quickly moved to the front shop for dust control where the cyclone and DC is.

But.. I won't finish or create saw-dust back there as the First Lady "Can" smell the fumes and fine dust "Will" route through the Central AC and heat and find it's way upstairs through the ducts. So...

If I had my druthers... I would put my shop in a 40" x 60" building away from the house altogether even with the extra expense of construction and heating and cooling. But.. we don't always get our "druthers" so I take what has been given (it's paid for) and make the mostest of what I got!

Good luck... and remember that "h*ll hath no fury as a woman scorned" and that's a fact! If she says paint it green and you prefer blue... paint it green or you won't hear the end of it till it gets green! ;)

Regards...

Sarge..

Carl Crout
08-21-2007, 4:44 PM
I would prefer to have a separate shop. What if fumes from a stain or varnish coated rag catch fire? What if your dust collector barrel catches fire? At least with a separate shop your house wouldn't burn down.

Here it gets over 100 in the summer and as low as the 20's in the winter (but it can get colder). My shop is insulated with R19 in the walls and R30 in the attic. It's 900 sq feet. I have a 75000 BTU shop heater. It will heat the shop up one degree per minute. In the winter I have never seen it get colde than about 58 degrees. It holds its temp. very well. In the summer I use a 2.25 ton A/C unit. The only change I would make is to use a central unit vs a window unit for the increased energy effeciency.
If you are just in the shop a couple hours in the evening and weekends the bill won't be bad

Gary Keedwell
08-21-2007, 5:19 PM
I would prefer to have a separate shop. What if fumes from a stain or varnish coated rag catch fire? What if your dust collector barrel catches fire? At least with a separate shop your house wouldn't burn down.

Here it gets over 100 in the summer and as low as the 20's in the winter (but it can get colder). My shop is insulated with R19 in the walls and R30 in the attic. It's 900 sq feet. I have a 75000 BTU shop heater. It will heat the shop up one degree per minute. In the winter I have never seen it get colde than about 58 degrees. It holds its temp. very well. In the summer I use a 2.25 ton A/C unit. The only change I would make is to use a central unit vs a window unit for the increased energy effeciency.
If you are just in the shop a couple hours in the evening and weekends the bill won't be bad
Not trying to be a wise guy Carl but I think 90% of woodworkers would love to have a separate shop. I love my basement shop but the thought of having my own stand alone shop would definetly excite me. Maybe in the future but I have to deal with the cards that were dealt to me for now.:(
Gary K.:)

Jim Kountz
08-21-2007, 5:48 PM
I too have had both types of shop and I personally prefer a detached building for several reasons some of which have already been mentioned here. One biggie for me is fire. Shops do run a high risk for fire and having your shop burn down would be bad but if it took your home with it that would be double bad. I have a two story (gambrel type) shop now and Im thinking of adding on again. Something else that would be hard to do with a basement shop. Right now I have machines on the ground floor and lumber storage and office on the 2nd. Im planning on adding a CNC to the 2nd floor and building a small 12x16 finishing room on the side for the 1st floor.

Jim

Bart Leetch
08-21-2007, 5:59 PM
I always remove rags from the shop as soon as I finish with them. The DC is used only for removing dust & chips from machines not to clean the floor etc. Another habit I have developed because someone tried to break into my shop & I have a habit of leaving the air compressor on is I go & check the shop just before going to bed every night. You know pat the table-saw tuck the jointer & planer in fondle the old hand tools etc. make sure the shop is locked up tight:eek: :) :D I have the greatest dreams.:D :D :D

John Bailey
08-21-2007, 7:16 PM
Bart,

I used to have a basement shop and I had all the problems you've talked about. That being said, you seem to have thought it out well and come up with solutions. I think you're on the right track.

John

Bryan Cowing
08-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Several years ago before moving to my present location my main shop was in the attached garage, with a walk down set of stairs. I would brush finish small projects with poly in the small workshop room ( no door ) in the basement. Smell would go all threw the house so I installed a $20 bathroom fan and vented it to the outside. That solved the smell problem.

Kermit Hodges
08-22-2007, 9:17 PM
Basement shop and wouldn't have it any other way. Of course I dug down and have a drive in (garage door). 9' ceilings too. Insulation in the ceiling works to keep noise down. Planner (especially when the blades get dull) are a tad loud. So I just chose when I use it. Wife only complains when I put off sharpening blades.

Sure some smells can get up the stair well, but weatherstrip and add a threshold sweep to the door. That makes a huge difference in the smells and noise. Added a propane heater and started getting some odor upstairs. I put up some plastic sheeting at the bottom of the stairs and that solved it. No longer a problem.

I do have a leak in one of the bathroom that allows smells in. But that means I have a hole I haven't found and sealed. Most likely plumbing line. Just need to get in there and pull down the insulation and seal it with expanding foam.

John Lucas
08-23-2007, 6:28 AM
Bart,
Only responding to the migrating odors issue. Positive air flow into the basement and exhaust outside...no smell problem. But, to be really effectivem the positive air flow should be all the time not just when you are using stinky finishes. The good part is that that will also keep dust out of the upstairs.

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-23-2007, 6:45 AM
If you really want to seal off the basement from the rest of the house, then the ceiling of the basement and floor of the first floor should be solid concrete with the appropriate steel supports as needed by code. No dust, odors, etc would make it up to the main area of the house, and should you have a fire in the shop, the concrete will help to contain it from spreading to the rest of the house. It would add some expense to construction though.

Cheers,
James

Bart Leetch
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Bart,
Only responding to the migrating odors issue. Positive air flow into the basement and exhaust outside...no smell problem. But, to be really effective the positive air flow should be all the time not just when you are using stinky finishes. The good part is that that will also keep dust out of the upstairs.

John

This is good advice, I am thinking a grill work in the door between the house & shop with a fresh air make up air inlet not to far from the door on the house side of the door along with an exhaust system with a stack through & above the roof soffet up where the breeze can take the smell away.

Bart Leetch
08-23-2007, 10:46 AM
If you really want to seal off the basement from the rest of the house, then the ceiling of the basement and floor of the first floor should be solid concrete with the appropriate steel supports as needed by code. No dust, odors, etc would make it up to the main area of the house, and should you have a fire in the shop, the concrete will help to contain it from spreading to the rest of the house. It would add some expense to construction though.

Cheers,
James

This is a mite over kill don't you think?

John has the right idea positive air flow from the house & through the shop exhausted outside.

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-23-2007, 10:55 AM
This is a mite over kill don't you think?

John has the right idea positive air flow from the house & through the shop exhausted outside.

For odors and dust, you bet. For a shop fire, not at all. Positive ventilation and a wooden ceiling (jousts and subflooring) will do nothing to protect the rest of the house in that situation. Next best thing would be to have sprinklers installed whole house or in the shop at the very least.

Matt Moore
08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
The reality is that $ does have an impact. There is no doubt that a separate building would be better or desired. Not many would disagree with that but it would cost significantly more.

I would think that if you have the option to plan for these things, going into the project, then you will be fine especially if you are not going to have an interior door. Ventilation & dust collection should be a must anyway.

John Bush
08-23-2007, 2:16 PM
Hi Bart,
I got my first round of equipment from a WWer with a basement shop In Stanwood, not far from you. He hadn't done any WWing for several years and most all exposed or unwaxed metal had plenty of surface rust. He had a small woodstove that he would infrequently warm the space up with. Also he had a stairway with a 90 deg. landing that made it kind of tough lugging the 450# Parks planer upstairs and out thru the laundry room. I have a detached shop but if having the basement shop saves some bucks and allows you to have more goodies, I think all of the negatives can be easily managed:

-Insulate and vapor barrier the floor and sidewalls
-Install hydronic tubing in the slab. I used a hot water tank, manifold, relay, pump, and thermostat and the system was realatively cheap and there is no positive air pressure to push scents or dust around and you can control the humidity as well.
-5/8 sheetrock is code for 1 hr fire barrier.
-Having a drive up door is a real plus.

Bart, I live in Edmonds so give me a call if you are down this way and I can show you the hydrionic system as well as the other overkill goodies. Good luck, John.

Bart Leetch
08-23-2007, 5:45 PM
(1)If you really want to seal off the basement from the rest of the house, then the ceiling of the basement and floor of the first floor should be solid concrete with the appropriate steel supports as needed by code. No dust, odors, etc would make it up to the main area of the house, and should you have a fire in the shop, the concrete will help to contain it from spreading to the rest of the house. It would add some expense to construction though.

(2) For odors and dust, you bet. For a shop fire, not at all. Positive ventilation and a wooden ceiling (jousts and subflooring) will do nothing to protect the rest of the house in that situation. Next best thing would be to have sprinklers installed whole house or in the shop at the very least.

I imagine there are several 100,000 basements with home shops in them around the US that haven't gone to this extent & by using a little wisdom & paying attention to detail they are safe & have past the test of time.

Now if your last name is Knox as in Fort Knox you may be able to afford it. But as you can see my name isn't Fort Knox.;) :) :D

Well I have received a lot of good information thank you all very much.

This will be up in the air for quite a while to come but kicking around ideas & thoughts with other woodworkers brings a lot of creativity out of all of us.

We have looked at several places in the last couple of years & haven't found anything we want to commit to yet. In the mean time we are learning a lot about what we want & or need. In the first place the LOML wanted 2500 - 2700 Sq.Ft. I kept saying not so big 1800 - 2000 Sq Ft no bigger. We are getting closer to 60 & I don't want a great big place to care for. she won't even look at a place that doesn't have a building to put my shop in even if its an attached garage.

I've learned to compact thing down pretty good working out of a 13.5 x 24.5 shop so anywhere from 665 Sq Ft to 1000 - 1200 Sq Ft would do just fine I'm not to picky.:D Well yes I am but then she is an exceptional woman.:eek: :D

Jim Becker
08-23-2007, 8:19 PM
Bart, if the LOYL wants a little bigger, it's not so bad if it's a more open design...easy to keep clean and offers a lot of possibilities for interesting architectural things without spending a fortune. But if you go smaller, having cathedral ceilings will make a small home feel very large. The 1950 sq ft of our existing structure feels a LOT bigger than it really is because of the one room that has a story and a half of height. (That makes up for the 6' 10" ceilings in the rest of the first floor...LOL!)

Matt Meiser
08-23-2007, 9:41 PM
I agree with Jim--most of our house has "cathedral" ceilings. They aren't that high, maybe 9.5-10' at the peak, but the rooms are a lot more open with them. The house is also really open in the public areas. The only drawback to open is decorating. Our kitchen, dining room family room and hallway have no natural place to break a paint color short of making a line down the middle of a wall somewhere.

Josiah Bartlett
08-24-2007, 2:50 AM
No matter where you put your shop, if you are planning a new one I would suggest building a finishing booth into it if you can come up with the space. It gives you a safe place to exhaust your fumes, keeps them out of your living space, and keeps sanding dust out of your finish.

I have a detatched shop and I like it that way, but if I had a basement I would probably move my woodworking machines into it and set it up as an auto shop- I have a classic car hobby too.

Steve Roxberg
08-24-2007, 8:55 AM
This is so easy, your wife said seperate building so get started. We don't say SWMBO for nothing. :D

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-24-2007, 1:11 PM
I imagine there are several 100,000 basements with home shops in them around the US that haven't gone to this extent & by using a little wisdom & paying attention to detail they are safe & have past the test of time.

Agreed, as my basement shop is one of them. When the house was build, I wasn't into woodworking yet, so I didn't do any of these. I use dust/chip collection at the tools, overhead air cleaner, and personal respirator when turning to help with the safety issues of the dust. Seems to work pretty well, don't notice dust or odors upstairs at all. Only thing I do wish I had was sprinklers "just in case". They are expensive to retro into a house, so I make do with a fire extinguisher near the stairs in the basement and may well add a second one closer to the where the actual tools are. Were I building a house now, it would have whole house sprinklers in it, regardless if it had a wood shop in it or not.

Cheers,
James