PDA

View Full Version : Drilling cast-iron??

Jason White
08-20-2007, 2:44 PM
Need advice -- I will be drilling some holes in my cast-iron top in order to get my new Biesemeyer fence to fit my RIDGID TS3650 tablesaw.

Any tips on drilling cast-iron would be greatly appreciated!

JW

Steve Clardy
08-20-2007, 2:46 PM
Cast drills real easy usually.
Normally I don't even lubricate the bits.

Use a center punch to start/mark your hole so the bit doesn't wander off and leave a unwanted track.

Michael Schwartz
08-20-2007, 2:54 PM
Just use a decent High Speed Steel bit. HSS bits don't really need to be lubricated.

Kyle Kraft
08-20-2007, 3:10 PM
Steve and Michael are right on the money...no need for cutting fluid, as the free carbon in the CI provides some nice lube. Tapping is just as easy, make sure your tap gets started square to the workpiece.

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2007, 3:13 PM
Don't forget to drill a pilot hole prior to drilling the main diameter hole.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-20-2007, 3:27 PM
Use No Oil. Or any other lube. The heat from drilling cast iron is carried off by the chips. This eliminates the need for lube. Adding it will only cause the chips to build up at the point of cut trapping the heat.

Edwin Dodds
08-20-2007, 4:49 PM
Also..... run the drill on the low speed, and ease up on the pressure just as the drill starts to break through the other side. This prevents the drill from catching and pulling itself through last bit of the hole.

Mike Heidrick
08-20-2007, 11:22 PM
You will be suprised how easy it drills. Center punch and pilot drill the hole are great recommendations.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-21-2007, 12:39 AM
In my recent move my saw was dropped and a small part of the cast iron wing was broken. I have the piece that broke off and it fits exactly. Any advise on repair?

glenn bradley
08-21-2007, 12:50 AM
If it is just for looks (no mounting holes or part of a stress area) I'd epoxy it. Maybe JB Weld?

Curt Harms
08-21-2007, 7:00 PM
Glenn's idea of JB Weld or something like it would be the cheapest for sure and would probably last fine as long as it's not subject to stress. Cast Iron can also be welded by someone with the equipment & know-how. I don't have either:o.

Curt

Justin Bukoski
08-21-2007, 7:56 PM
I would use epoxy to repair it with some steel braces screwed to the underside.

Have you checked to see how much a replacement wing is? That's really your best bet...

Alan Tolchinsky
08-21-2007, 9:30 PM
Thanks guys, The piece missing is only 1/2" x 2" so it's mostly cosmetic to me. I'll try the JB weld and see what happens. I've been using the saw without the piece with no problems. Thanks for the ideas.

Chris Barnett
08-21-2007, 9:46 PM
When threading, cast iron appears to be, surprisingly, quite soft, so if you thread the hole, go slow and careful.