PDA

View Full Version : Plastic supplier?

Marc Myer
08-20-2007, 1:00 PM
I've been through the supplier links, but am having diffuculty finding a supplier of extra-tough acrylic.
Plexiglas makes a T2, T3, and DR acrylics which are much tougher than standard. I know there are other varieties and manufacturers as well, but I can't seem to find anyone who stocks them. My local suppliers won't bring in less than a palette load.
Anyone have a suggestion?

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2007, 3:02 PM
Tap Plastics have it and they are on the West coast. If you are prepared to pay shipping and wait for a slow boat, ask for Acrylite Plus, it's supposed to be twice as strong as normal acrylic.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=348&

Craig Hogarth
08-20-2007, 4:42 PM
I was in home depot earlier today and they have some heavy duty, but thin stuff. They're normal 1/4 inch is $35 for a 2x4 but this stuff was $65 for 1/8 2x4

I'll check it out later.

Marc Myer
08-20-2007, 6:47 PM
Cool! I'll check too. I got some basic acrylic cheap at Lowes; thought HomeD was about the same.
Sure enough Tap plastics does have it, thanks. Trouble is, shipping a single 2x2' piece is, like $25. yikes.

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2007, 7:44 PM
I'd bring some in my suitcase but don't expect to be in your area again until fall of '09 for our 35th anniversary.

Craig Hogarth
08-20-2007, 8:20 PM
HD has lexan xl-qo polycarbonate sheet. recommended for security. severe weather and outdoor projects. 61.95 for a 2x4.

hd item number c105-800.

Carol VanArnam
08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
http://www.gepolymershapes.com/polyshapes/PShapes/branchlocator/branchlocator.jsp

Marc- I buy from these folks. They are EXCELLENT at giving free samples and their prices are WAY better than TAP. TAP buys from these guys....

They ship nation wide.

I buy from the Seattle store. Ask for Steve or Rae. I usually leave their store with more free samples than what I went to buy from them. When they give away a sample that is 4 x 6 feet that is great. The other day they gave mefor free 2 sheets of 4 x 6 plastic and told me if I like it to come back and buy more.

Bob Cole
08-21-2007, 1:13 AM
Carol,

Do you rip your own plastic or have them cut it down?

Carol VanArnam
08-22-2007, 9:01 PM
I cut my plastic on my own table saw.... I cut it into basic sizes so I don't have a lot of waste. They will cut it for you but the price goes up. For shipping you can have them cut it in 1/2 or 1/4 sheets so it ships cheaper....

it just takes a few minutes to cut your own and i usually buy 2-3 sheets at a time so maybe it takes 10 minutes to run it all thru the saw.....

Jacqui Marlin
08-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Craig ~ from what I have learned it is not good to cut polycarb and even engraving it will create extremely toxic fumes.

I am traveling and a friend took me to GE Polymershapes in MA and they gave me some lovely small samples for miniature turning on the lathe and some mirrored acrylic that I want to engrave (from the back). They were very helpful and I will surely get rod from them but sheet stock is a problem because of the cost of shipping to Hawaii. I should be able to work things out once I know just what I want.

I will be away from home for a month and not able to play with my new light saber! There are just so many things I want to learn and materials to try!

Peter Meacham
08-23-2007, 7:48 AM
I cut my plastic on my own table saw.... I cut it into basic sizes so I don't have a lot of waste. They will cut it for you but the price goes up. For shipping you can have them cut it in 1/2 or 1/4 sheets so it ships cheaper....

it just takes a few minutes to cut your own and i usually buy 2-3 sheets at a time so maybe it takes 10 minutes to run it all thru the saw.....

Carol, what type of saw blade are you using to cut the plastic please. Brand name, number of teeth and type of blade, i.e. plywood blade or standard wood blade, etc. If you have time to check that out please. Thanks, Pete

Russ Miller
08-23-2007, 1:44 PM
I can cut the pieces you need and ship them to you via UPS Ground to Hawaii. DO NOT LASER Polycarbonate Plastic. I have the Acrylite Plus in stock. Cyro now calls it Acrylite Resist ... http://www.cyro.com/Internet/SiteContent.nsf/AP2004!OpenPage

Let me know what you need and I'll quote you a price.
Email me at: tap10@sbcglobal.net.

Russ

Carol VanArnam
08-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Carol, what type of saw blade are you using to cut the plastic please. Brand name, number of teeth and type of blade, i.e. plywood blade or standard wood blade, etc. If you have time to check that out please. Thanks, Pete

They only cost about $40 on ebay. It's designed to cut and not chip.

Freud LU94M010 10 inch 80 tooth Plexiglass and plastic cutting blade.

Freud TK806L 10x80 TCG Melamine Laminate blade