PDA

View Full Version : Bookcases - Maple/Cherry

Jim Podsedly
08-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Been working on a couple of bookcases that go with the desks I made my daughters.

They are made from Maple 3/4" plywood sides (1/4" back) and accented with Cherry.

The standards came from an article in Fine Woodworking (April, 2007).

I will be using BLO and Waterlox for the finish.

Thanks for looking,
Jim

Henk Marais
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Verry Nice Jim!

Due to time constraints I have not been able to takle a big project like this. (See my basic stuff in a post placed just before yours)

Your daugters will like it, I know.

Jim Becker
08-20-2007, 1:30 PM
Jim, great job on those bookcases. I remember that article and the shop-cut shelf support structure.

Mike Cutler
08-20-2007, 1:45 PM
Very nice looking bookcases Jim. They came out well. The BLO will finish them nicely.
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Greg Cole
08-20-2007, 1:45 PM
Jim,
Nice job, I too recall the shelf mounting from reading the mag. Cheery & maple are a classic combo.
I also spot a foosball table in the background, might that be a Dynamo? I spent more hours in my younger years "grippin' n rippin" than I can recall....:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Greg

glenn bradley
08-20-2007, 1:51 PM
Ahhh, I love contrasting woods. Very nice.

Jim Podsedly
08-20-2007, 2:02 PM
Jim,
Nice job, I too recall the shelf mounting from reading the mag. Cheery & maple are a classic combo.
I also spot a foosball table in the background, might that be a Dynamo? I spent more hours in my younger years "grippin' n rippin" than I can recall....:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Greg

Greg, You are correct - it is a foosball table. It was a Menard's special! :D The girls love playing it and beating porr old Dad!

All, Thanks for all the nice replies. Fun sharing with fellow woodworkers.

Jim

Don Bullock
08-20-2007, 5:04 PM
Looks great and uses contrasting woods well. I like the shelf standards that came from the article in Fine Woodworking. I kept a copy of that article for my "idea book" and plan to use that idea the next time I make some shelves.

Jim Podsedly
09-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Been working on a couple of bookcases that go with the desks I made my daughters.

They are made from Maple 3/4" plywood sides (1/4" back) and accented with Cherry.

The standards came from an article in Fine Woodworking (April, 2007).

I will be using BLO and Waterlox for the finish.

Thanks for looking,
Jim

Just finished the bookcases. After the Waterlox I put on a coat of wax.

Jim

Tony De Masi
09-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Very nice Jim. Some beautiful work there.

Tony

John Thompson
09-03-2007, 1:08 PM
Just finished the bookcases. After the Waterlox I put on a coat of wax.

Jim

Afternoon JIm..

First.. nicely done with pleasant results!

That gives me a preview of what cherry and maple looks like blended. The "lovely young lady" of the house has a requistion in "top" of the requistion basket calling for a new bed and complimentary suite for the master bed-room. She wants a built-in book-case in lieu of a standard head-board and I had thought of using maple for contrast just to liven things up a bit... not they they are not already lively in that room! ;)

Thanks for the preview...

Sarge..

Jim Becker
09-03-2007, 1:10 PM
Those turned out nicely, Jim!

Ralph Okonieski
09-03-2007, 4:42 PM
Beautiful bookcases! I was thinking about making one myself; you've inspired me with such nice looking ones. The contrasting woods are fabulous.

Dave MacArthur
09-04-2007, 2:16 AM
Great look, I am a huge fan of the contrasting wood. I also like the top detail, allowing you to store stuff up top (like we all do) without losing it over the back edge (like we all do...).

Greg Crawford
09-04-2007, 7:36 AM
I also love cherry and maple together, and you've done a great job. Love the lack of hardware, just wood for the shelf adjustments.