PDA

View Full Version : newbie table saw question

Nelson Bradley
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm just getting back into woodworking, it's been since highschool shop about 15 years ago. I'm looking into adding a table saw and have it narrowed down to a Ridged ts3650 $550, Jet JWTS-10 $553 and a Delta 36-979 $450 w/o fence.

For the moment I will mostly be working with plywood and trim for small projects for the garden and some build in shelves for the house. I've looked into hybrids, but they are out of my price range and used table saws are apparently hard to come by here (I've check classifieds, craigslist and ebay regurally for a couple of months.)

I also don't see myself as every becoming more than a weekend hobbiest and honestly this is supporting my other hobbies more than anything else. I'm leaning towards the ridged, what do you guys think?

Thanks

James Phillips
08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I had the ridgid before I got my current saw and loved it. I think it is the best in its price range.

Ken Gartin
08-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Go with the Delta and then buy a Biese fence at Lowe's for $80!

Michael Schwartz
08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Go with the Delta and then buy a Biese fence at Lowe's for $80!

Go by all the lowes within 100 miles, buy all the bese fences, pawn them off on craigslist and ebay for near full price, and buy Sawstop :rolleyes:

Ken Gartin
08-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Go by all the lowes within 100 miles, buy all the bese fences, pawn them off on craigslist and ebay for near full price, and buy Sawstop :rolleyes:

I think the market's getting a bit saturated...:)

Jason White
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Hard to go wrong with the RIDGID. I've had mine for nearly 4 years and love it. Ended up adding a cast-iron router table extension wing and just got a Biesemeyer fence for cheap that I'm getting ready to install. The fence that comes with it is really fantastic, however.

JW

I'm just getting back into woodworking, it's been since highschool shop about 15 years ago. I'm looking into adding a table saw and have it narrowed down to a Ridged ts3650 $550, Jet JWTS-10 $553 and a Delta 36-979 $450 w/o fence.

For the moment I will mostly be working with plywood and trim for small projects for the garden and some build in shelves for the house. I've looked into hybrids, but they are out of my price range and used table saws are apparently hard to come by here (I've check classifieds, craigslist and ebay regurally for a couple of months.)

I also don't see myself as every becoming more than a weekend hobbiest and honestly this is supporting my other hobbies more than anything else. I'm leaning towards the ridged, what do you guys think?

Thanks

glenn bradley
08-20-2007, 2:27 PM
I'm inclined to recommend the Ridgid. I don't have one and have never used one. I have seen the work that folks produce with them and hear their positive comments about the saw.