PDA

View Full Version : Tormek vs. Jet

Greg Crawford
08-20-2007, 9:33 AM
I haven't seen anything about the new Jet slow speed grinder vs. the Tormek. I'v had some bad experiences with Jet in the past (please don't turn this thread into good and bad of other Jet tools), but have never owned a Tormek. I know the Tormek owners all seem to love them, but I can't see much difference between the two. Does anyone have experience with both units? Can anyone tell me how they compare side by side? I have been told that all the Tormek accessories will fit the Jet.

Thanks,

Greg

Michael McCoy
08-20-2007, 9:37 AM
Tom Hintz (newwoodworker.com) has a comparison review on his site. I have the Tormek but they all sharpen things. :)

Justin Bukoski
08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
You might want to check the reviews on Amazon.com for the Jet...

Barry Anderson
08-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I think it's a "pay yer money, takes yer choice" kinda thing. I've the Tormek and it does a fine job for me.

Basically, the Tormek is made in Scandinavia and labor costs are higher than in Asia, where the Jet is made. That's part of the price difference. The Tormek has more jigs .... but I think they all fit on the Jet. I've heard that some of the Jet jigs are less than perfect, but that is complete hearsay.

I reallyl believe that whichever you get, you will be happy with. I went with the expensive one and haven't felt cheated.

Barry in WV

Jeffrey Makiel
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I may be making the waters more muddy here. But, Rockler just sent me an email on the WorkSharp system. They offer two models, $100 and $200 versions.

I'm interested in WorkSharp because there is no water to deal with, and I mostly need something for chisels and small hand planes. Japanese water stones are a pain to use in my opinion. For other cutting tools, I either send them out or they're disposable. This gadget seems awfully simple and quick. I have (and like) their other gizmo...the Drill Doctor.

However, the WorkSharp does not seem nearly as versatile as the Tormek or Jet with their arsenal of jigs. It just seems like too big of deal to use the Jet/Tormek for one or two tools at a time. But I could be wrong for I have no direct experience.

-Jeff :)

Chris Rosenberger
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I haven't seen anything about the new Jet slow speed grinder vs. the Tormek. I'v had some bad experiences with Jet in the past (please don't turn this thread into good and bad of other Jet tools), but have never owned a Tormek. I know the Tormek owners all seem to love them, but I can't see much difference between the two. Does anyone have experience with both units? Can anyone tell me how they compare side by side? I have been told that all the Tormek accessories will fit the Jet.

Thanks,

Greg

I have owned both. I used an older Tormek for several years & had alot of Tormek accessories. The only thing I did not like about it was the amount of water that would end up on the workbench. Early this year a dealer had the new Tormeks on sale. I decided to get a new Tormek. While I was at the store, they were demoing the Jet. I was impressed with the large water tray & variable speed of the Jet. I still left the store with the Tormek. After I got home I got to thinking more about the Jet & did alot of research on the web. I decided to make the 112 mile round trip to exchange the Tormek for the Jet. I have been very happy with the Jet. It sharpens just as well as the Tormek. I do not get all of the water on the workbench. Jet has some accessories that Tormek does not. All of the Tormek jigs work with the Jet. I do not know how the Jet will hold up long term. But I see know reason it will not hold up.

The only problem I have had with the Jet is that 1 of the inserts in the tool holder kept falling out. I did get it repaired with epoxy glue.

In my opion both are good tools.

D. Hunt
08-20-2007, 1:25 PM
I had the same dilemma a while back. After a ton of research and all the nice things that Tom Hintz had to say about the Jet, that's what I chose.

The Jet had all the extras that I wanted (large water tray = less mess, variable speed, DVD Video rather than instructions plus the bonus that all the jigs between the Jet and Tormek are interchangable. The last one was important because I wanted a jig to sharpen my jointer and planer blades and Jet didn't make one at the time. Not sure if they do now or not. The machine itself is not all that expensive but it's all the jigs that add up. One jig that you'll want to get is the Diamond Truing Wheel. I think the 2 most expensive jigs are Tormeks Planer/Jointer Blade Jig and Jets Plane Camber Jig. Overall, Jet got my business because of price and perfomance. The unit itself is cheaper and so are their jigs. And yes, it works great.

Good luck!!!

Darrell Hunt

Mike K Wenzloff
08-20-2007, 2:02 PM
With all due respect to Tom Hintz, the Jet is not as durable machine under our shop conditions.

The variable speed is a non-starter. It really doesn't matter. Basically I believe the Jet substituted higher speed for torque. The Tormek takes far more effort to stall it. I cannot sharpen the same tool as quickly on the Jet as the Tormek.

The material the drive wheel on the Jet is made from cannot withstand a moderately busy shop. I've gone through 6 of them. Good thing I bought a dozen. Conversely, I just recently replaced the drive wheel on the Tormek after 5 or so years of abuse.

The major plus for the Jet is I believe the stone wheel is superior to the Tormek. I'll continue to purchase Jet wheels for the Tormek.

I cannot run the Jet for half a day. I can run the Tormek 24 hours a day. The motors are that different.

Will the Jet last under less harsh conditions? No one knows yet. I do know the Tormek will.

Take care, Mike

Gary Keedwell
08-20-2007, 4:29 PM
Here you go guys.....$100 will get you a yellow one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95236

Gary K.

Mike Heidrick
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I bough the Jet. It works great but I have just used it on my chisels so far. It goes on sale at amazon for $199 occasionally and that includes the exta base and the cover. Jigs add up $$ though so wait for a WW accessory sale.

Don Bullock
08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Tormek vs. Jet

Sounds like a football game.;) :D

Alan Tolchinsky
08-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Here you go guys.....$100 will get you a yellow one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95236

Gary K.

Anybody think this will work simarly to Jet and Tormek? Usually you get what you pay for.

Michael McCoy
08-21-2007, 6:58 AM
Anybody think this will work simarly to Jet and Tormek? Usually you get what you pay for.

I don't have a link but there was a review on the BT3Central forum sometime last week. It did site a few minor drawbacks but overall was favorable.

Ken Belisle
08-21-2007, 8:01 AM
Just my opinion, but I don't think the Jet has been out long enough to really know how durable it is and how long it will run problem free, whereas the Tormek has a long proven track record. In 10 - 15 years, we will better be able to answer this question.........

Patrick Taylor
08-21-2007, 8:50 AM
Here's a hefty thread from last fall on the same issue.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=437710

Alan Tolchinsky
08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I just read some reviews on Amazon and half the people liked the Jet and the other half had every problem imaginable. I wonder if Jet has solved some of the problems?