PDA

View Full Version : Rain

Gary Whitt
08-20-2007, 8:52 AM
Could some of you folks that are getting too much rain, send some this way ?

It's been a month since we've seen any.

Thanks.

:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-20-2007, 9:07 AM
Just a month?

Our normal annual moisture is 12". Yesterday we got the first measureable rain since May. The local paper shows prior to yesterday's measure rain we've only had 2.1" and June is our wettest month. Oh...did I mention we are in the 9th year of drought in the last 10 years?

Jim Becker
08-20-2007, 9:10 AM
We're having a little today, but it's been somewhat dry for awhile and mostly 90º and above. This little cold front has been refreshing...I know that the two guys in "the hole" working on the addition foundation are quite happy with the turn of the weather!

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2007, 10:46 AM
We have a light rain today too, and you are welcome to it. We're missing our second month of sun.

Michael Morgan
08-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I did not look it up to verify but I would be willing to guess that we got over a foot of rain since August 1st. We are getting lots more today. Usually in August I have to mow twice durning the entire month. This year it's every four or five days (when it's not raining:( )

Matt Meiser
08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as Michael. We are supposed to get 2-4" MORE by tomorrow morning. That after a day of heavy rain yesterday. The last 4-6 weeks have been very wet here and the weather guy on the radio station I listen to said we will definitely be in the top 10, maybe top 5 rainiest Augusts on record.

Michael Morgan
08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
This is what we are getting today. I am in the middle of one of those bright yellow spots:(

Rob Bourgeois
08-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Could some of you folks that are getting too much rain, send some this way ?

It's been a month since we've seen any.

Thanks.

:D

Talk like that in a coastal state usually ends with a named storm coming to visit.

Eddie Watkins
08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
We had 7" Sunday morning and it flooded out the road into town (OKC, ok, maybe city). It drained off in a few hours. The folks on the other side of OKC really got hit with up to 10" in places. That's the area on the national news. We are well over 40" for the year and our normal average is about 35". After several years of drought I'm not complaining. Some water did blow into my shop and got some plywood wet but that's the only damage I had.
Question: I had put down fertilizer on my yard just prior to the rain. What's the chances of any of it being left? Did it soak in or wash away? The rain did come slowly at first. Probably will just have to wait and see.

Eddie

Brett Baldwin
08-20-2007, 2:07 PM
What is this rain stuff you're talking about?

TYLER WOOD
08-20-2007, 3:48 PM
1" this weekend. Already over our yearly average. Normal for use is 18.5", right now we sit at 20.5" with 2 of our wettest months still to come. Ohhh and did I mention Dean may bring more. And this is from the dry side of Texas.

Al Willits
08-20-2007, 5:20 PM
Just had 8-10" in one day here in southern Minn, had three people actually on top of their house because of flooding and the house floated downstream a bit.
That must have been the ride of your life...whoa!

Only a couple here in the Twin Cities
Al

Jerry Clark
08-20-2007, 8:44 PM
Ain't seen no rain in So. Cal for a long time-- Oh, we did have some sprinkles-- 3 inches TOTAL since April 2006!!! probably won't get rain until January- February 2008! :eek: No weeds to cut either! :D

Michael Morgan
08-21-2007, 8:36 AM
Almost 3 inches in the last 24 hours:eek: That's quite a bit for this area.

Jim Becker
08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Yea, pouring here in SE PA today...GC called off any activity on the addition as a result. And the foundation is currently in "self-backfilling" mode...:eek:

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Yea, pouring here in SE PA today...GC called off any activity on the addition as a result. And the foundation is currently in "self-backfilling" mode...:eek:

They'll knock some labor off for that, won't they???:D :D Yeah, now is not when you need rain. Hopefully it will be over quickly. Jim.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Near here, I-75, US-23, US-30 and several other major routes are closed. These are all 4 lane divided highways. Highly unusual around here, unless there is a blizzard. Basically you can't go south from Toledo along the major routes without major delays--5-6 hours.

Tyler Howell
08-21-2007, 2:28 PM
Flooding with fatalities in the south, Drought with extreme fire danger up north all in Minnesota:eek: :eek: .
I'm for balance.

Mike Circo
08-23-2007, 9:48 AM
14" in August alone.

My tomatoes are a loss. So much water that the plants are rotting. The fruit has split from so much water, and they are rotting on the vines.

I have mushrooms growing on my siding.

My yard is like a wet sponge. The grass has too much water and not enough nutrients or sun and looks pale green, almost yellow.

This is all just minor irritants compared to what could be. The basement is dry (where the shop is!) and I'm on a hill so no risk of any flooding. My heart goes out to those near rivers, they must be sweating out these nightly deluges we are getting. The Fox river is over its banks in some areas, not dangerous yet, just messy.

That is what is going on in Northern Ill. Hope you all are surviving.

Karl Laustrup
08-23-2007, 2:14 PM
I've lost count of how many inches we've gotten since the first part of the month, but the weather people in Madison say that August is now the wettest month on record.....ever for any month. And we still have a little over a week left in the month and more rain coming today.

Thank goodness we live on top of a hill. I think it would take the flood of the millenium to flood us out. We're only about 1/4 mile from the Wisconsin river, but we're about 120' above it.

All this after we went about 8 weeks with little [about 6/10ths of an inch] of rain.

Karl