PDA

View Full Version : Oval to 6" round duct fitting?

Doug Shepard
08-20-2007, 5:37 AM
I got looking closer at the back of my TS yesterday. I was planning on eventually putting a bigger dust port on it for DC. But what I noticed is that there's no room to do it with the folddown roller table (HTC) that's attached. Here's a pic from an earlier thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17646&d=1111865917

Anybody know who has a selection of oval to 6" round duct fittings? I'd have to check the sizes to make sure the oval length fits between the sloping walls on the inside of the cabinet, but that's the only way I can figure how I might be able to get a bigger port on the TS.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2007, 8:09 AM
I don't know what the inside of the cabinet looks like, but would rectangular work? There's a world of rectangular fittings for HVAC. I used (I think) a 4x10 to 6" fitting from Lowes, but I have a contractor saw that I enclosed base.

Alternately, could you modify the bracket that is in the way?

Edit: One more thought. Since you are using PVC, what about heating up one end of piece of 6" and forming it into an oval?

Doug Shepard
08-20-2007, 8:14 AM
I'll have to check the measurements inside the cabinet. It's roughly as if you took the bottom 3 segments of an octagon - a flat section where the port is, then it angles up on each side (maybe about 7-8" wide) then meets the walls. I'll have to check how wide that flat portion is.

Mike Sheppard
08-20-2007, 8:57 AM
Doug
Any duct shop should be able to make that for you, take them a sketch. It will not be cheap.
Mike

Doug Shepard
08-20-2007, 9:05 AM
Doug
It will not be cheap.
Mike

That's why I was hoping to find something off-the-shelf. Haven't started Google searching yet, but that's the next step if nobody here knows of a good source. I was hoping to keep the custom made route as a last resort.

Jim Becker
08-20-2007, 9:22 AM
Check a wood stove supplier...oval to round is not uncommon. That's how mine needed to be installed.

Jim Heffner
08-20-2007, 10:28 PM
The best thing I think in the long run would be....go to a good hvac shop
that has a sheet metal man that makes up ductwork. He could make that fitting exactly the way you want it for a lot less than trying to alter or fabricate one from something else. Jim Heffner

Doug Shepard
08-21-2007, 5:39 AM
Thanks guys. I did find some stuff online yesterday but I suspect most of it's not stock items anyway but made when you order it. That's not a whole bunch different than a custom fab anyway I suppose. What's been helpful there though is seeing the drawing. They're not dimensioned with numbers but with ratios and variables so that the same drawing works with different sized fittings. What I think I'm seeing though is that I may have to rethink this a bit. The fittings may be just too honkin long to directly attach to the saw cabinet. I may have to put a square or oval flange fitting on the TS then put the oval-to-round fitting on the end of the flex hose to plug it in when needed. A fixed TS attachment would probably stick out and block a narrow walkway behind the saw unless I can get a custom one made shorter than what I'm seeing in drawings.
Lindfab's catalog has a good drawing example http://www.lindab.com/USA/web_LINDAB/PDF/catalog/OVAL/FORC-FORCE.pdf
Need to do some more measuring and figuring but may end up with a custom one anyway just to see how compact I can come up with.

Mike Sheppard
08-21-2007, 8:17 AM
Doug
If you order from Lindab for L fill in "short as possable" this is a sketch for a plasma cutter and can be made shorter than it looks.
You can make it yourself if need be. From a 3/4 sheet of ply or mdf cut a patt for both ends the size you want, then screw a 2x4 between them the length you want, mark center on both ends, lay it on a sheet of metal mark center and roll it along marking as you go till you get back to center. You now have the layout, add 3/8" to the ends for a collar and 1/2 on the center line for overlap then form it by hand. I would use 26 ga. galv. Hope this is clear enough.
Mike
South Lyon