PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 2000 table saw question

Minh Nguyen
08-20-2007, 2:37 AM
Hello All,

Amazon is currently having a sale on the Powermatic 1792000K Model PM 2000 3 Horsepower Cabinet Saw with 50-Inch Accu-Fence, 2 Cast Iron Extension Wiings, Table Board, and Legs, 230-Volt 1 Phase(model 1792000K) for $1954 + $149 shipping. I think this is a great price for this saw, but I have a couple of questions.

My garage is small, so space is a premium. From what I can gather, it seems like the saw comes with a mobile base on the main saw. How does this work when you have an extension table? Do I need to purchase a different mobile base system? How easy is it to move this table saw?

Anything else about this saw I should know?

Thanks in advanced.

Minh

John Hedges
08-20-2007, 8:57 AM
I have the same saw, and the main lift raises the extension table legs just fine. It doesn't raise it a lot, but it does raise it enough to move it easily around my garage and my floors are far from even. It is a great saw BTW, but you might try Timberline tools. I got mine from them for around the same price but the shipping was less, and they will ship it a lot sooner than Amazon typically will.

terry hansen
08-20-2007, 8:57 AM
I bought it as an upgrade from a 64A and couldn't be happier. Base has built in castors that raise and lower by unlocking and pushing in the miter angle crank to engage the wheel mechanism. The extension lifts off its levelers just by being attached to saw bed. if you have a very uneven floor it might be a problem - but otherwise works great. Lots of info on the site about this saw.

Russ Mullins
08-20-2007, 9:10 AM
I have the same saw, you'll love it. Ditto what John said about Timberline Tools, good prices and good service. When you call, be sure to ask for Jeffrey.

Another tip, the riving knife that comes with the saw is for full kerf blades. Don't buy a thin kerf blade unless you also buy the accessory thin kerf riving knife. For me, I bought a full kerf Delta 40 tooth combination blade from Lowe's (don't remember the number, but it's a common item at Lowe's). It works well with the full kerf riving knife that came standard with the PM2000.

Josh LaFrance
08-20-2007, 1:02 PM
When the saw raises up on the casters the extension table rises also. I recommend rolling to saw around from the extension table end, lifting the ext table a little as you push/pull. You don't want the legs snagging the floor and getting damaged.

I would also get the low profile riving knife. It's for when making a non through cut in the lumber. The top of the low profile knife is at the same height at the top of the blade. You can't mount the blade guard to it so you need the stock one for most work.

Edward P. Surowiec
08-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Josh, where did you buy the low profile riving knife??
Thanks Ed

John Hedges
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I also got the low profile riving knife. Great addition if you already have an overarm guard. I got mine when I ordered the saw from Timberline. It is an accessory which any PM dealer can get for you.

Noah Katz
08-21-2007, 4:00 PM
"Don't buy a thin kerf blade unless you also buy the accessory thin kerf riving knife."

There's a thin kerf one? The only one listed under Accessories in my manual is the shorty RK.

Russ Mullins
08-21-2007, 5:19 PM
"Don't buy a thin kerf blade unless you also buy the accessory thin kerf riving knife."

There's a thin kerf one? The only one listed under Accessories in my manual is the shorty RK.
It's on the Powermatic page for the PM2000, under "View The Demo," then go to "Models & Accessories." Try this link: http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=35745199

As I said, I don't have the thin kerf riving knife, since my blade is full kerf.

Jason Beam
08-21-2007, 5:21 PM
Minh,

Since you're in the vacinity, I might consider stopping by Western Tool in west sac and talk to Rob. Tell him I sent you and that you're a SAW member (i think I remember hearing your name at a recent meeting). He might be able to beat amazon's price ... maybe. He'll bend over backwards to satisfy you, I can say for sure.

Edward P. Surowiec
08-21-2007, 6:33 PM
Thanks John, My saw was shipped today and should arrive in Maryland next week. I'll check Timberline out.

John Hedges
08-21-2007, 8:28 PM
Edward, your really gonna like the saw. But I am unclear why if you already ordered the saw why you are checking Timberline out?

Edward P. Surowiec
08-22-2007, 7:32 PM
John, after reading some of the comments I want to buy a low profile riving knife and I thought that Timerline might have it.
Ed