PDA

View Full Version : Name plate with Romark or just Vinyl lettering

Bob Cole
08-20-2007, 1:32 AM
I have an opportunity to make a few name plates. The company gave me a sample of what they are currently getting. The name is not engraved but looks like vinyl lettering. The company is unhappy enough with their current supplier to purchase all new plates if the cost and speed is right. They have had issues with waiting for the current supplier for several weeks.

The color of the plastic that is used and the type of plastic I don't have. I don't have anything close to it. I only have a laser engraver and if this is truly vinyl lettering, I heard is a big no-no for laser engravers.

Any comments on how I should approach this?

I've thought of romark which I have several color combinations, but none really go with the color scheme. The lettering is an off white cream color because it matches the signage.

Rodne Gold
08-20-2007, 2:36 AM
Use perspex as close to the background colour as possible and front engrave and fill with the correct piant colour to match the existing lettering.
Or use clear perspex , spray the background colour on to it , reverse engrave the lettering thru the painted background and colour fill it to the lettering colour.

Mike Null
08-20-2007, 6:16 AM
Take a look at IPI #NT1001 from Johnson Plastics.

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2007, 8:38 AM
Some of my customers prefer vinyl lettering, because they can peel off the name and just have me send them new lettering when there are changes. It saves them the cost of the background material. In many cases a suggestion to change over to engraved won't be accepted, because they have to either do all of the employee name plates over or have mismatched plates. If your customer is willing to have you do them all then hopefully that IPI color will work. In a case like that I'll give them a quote for a discount on the original order in quantity, plus a higher quote for the price of the future replacements.
Also don't forget to add a line about how good the quote is for, a job like this could go on for 10 years and you don't want to be locked into the same price
for that long.

Mike Hood
08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
You could also apply sheet vinyl to the substrate, and then kiss-cut the vinyl and weed in place.

Bob Cole
08-28-2007, 3:42 AM
I looked up IPI #NT1001 on Johnson and it comes up blackglow two-ply. I did some more searching on Johnson and found ADA Marine Blue 321502 that looks close. It is hard to compare the color on the screen with the sample I have.

If that is the correct color/style, it appears to be laser safe to vector cut. I would now need to find the vinyl that was used. Since I don't have a vinyl cutter would like to use the laser to cut out the letters. I've read that vinyl is a no-no on lasers but see settings in my ULS manual for it. Where do you go to get the laser safe vinyl? I found signwarehouse but don't see specifics on laser applications.

Scott Shepherd
08-28-2007, 8:07 AM
Bob, I haven't seen anything that markets itself as laser safe. From my impression, vinyl sales are so huge and so many people doing it, that they couldn't care less if anyone's using it for a laser, but that's only my impression.

You need to look for anything that says "Polyester". There are many Polyester films available but you may not find the color you're looking for.

There are also people who say that cutting the vinyl on a laser isn't bad, since it's only a 1.5-3 mils thick. They say it's not enough of a cut to produce any level of fumes. I personally wouldn't do it. Why not just got to a vinyl shop and get the lettering done. If you batch them all together, you'd only be talking a couple of bucks each at the most.

Joe Pelonio
08-28-2007, 8:11 AM
The polyester vinyl that's laser safe is hard to find and not available in many colors. If you wanted to used mirror poly gold or silver, it's safe.

I contacted one manufacturer, Arlon, and was told that the amount of PVC in their 2 mil premium vinyl was insignificant and was laser safe. I couldn't get it in writing, though, so to me it's a gamble. I'd suggest a visit to your local Northwest Sign Supply to see what they might have.

Adam Stacey
08-28-2007, 9:18 AM
I've cut Avery vinyl several times on my 60w Epilog without any ill effects. Use any 6-year certified Avery vinyl and you should be fine.

Mike Null
08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Adam

Looks like you just joined our group. Welcome aboard we're glad to have you.

Judging from your equipment you'll also be a welcome member of our sign forum.

Where are you located?

Adam Stacey
08-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Birmingham, Alabama

Bob Cole
09-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I spoke with the client again and they are open to use 2-ply. I purchased a few different color combinations that I think will work fine. Probably won't receive them until next week. Still building up my supplies.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will keep you posted.

Al Mutairi
09-06-2007, 4:50 PM
Most Sign Vinyl is made from PVC (Polyvinylchloride) which is safe to use with lasers .

Stay away from PVC based vinyl. The fumes are toxic if inhaled. The fumes are also caustic & can chemically destroy the metal componenets of your laser system , this type of damage is usually not covered under warranty.

Bob Cole
09-17-2007, 8:17 PM
Have you ever talked to a customer one day only to get a completely different answer the next day?

I also found out that they are extremely picky on fonts. I spent two hours going through all the fonts I have and I don't have this specific font. I think it is an Helvetica font but looking on several of the free/purchase font sites, I can't seem to find it. I have a call into the customer to get the specific font they want. Just wanted to have a prototype.

I made a plate using 2-ply with a blue that is really close (now that I have the swatch book from IPI/Rowmark it is easier). The white lettering is a little over powering.

For you sign folks out there, anyone want to PM me on what you would charge for a simple 2X10 name plate using vinyl lettering? The job is a real low quantity job (2-20 single line, specific font), but wanted to use it as a stepping board for other jobs. Besides, it gives me practice.