PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lubricate Record Vises

Richard Goodwin
08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I have been reconditioning two old Record vises for my new workbench. One is a 7" (for my tail vise) and the other 9" (for the front vise). I have repainted the castings with hammerlite paint (great product), and have buffed all the surface rust from the bare metal parts. My question is, - what sort of lubricant should I use on the guide rods and threaded adjustent rod? I could use grease or oil, but am concerned that it will attract saw dust and may clog up the thread. I do have a hottle of Camilia Oil that I use on the bares surfaces of my planes. Any recommendations appreciated.

David DeCristoforo
08-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Camilia oil...not good for this. I don't use any oil or grease. I use a small amount of paste wax.

Michael Schwartz
08-20-2007, 1:13 AM
What about a dry teflon spray like Triflow.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2007, 8:18 AM
Teflon spray is great. I know you can get it at Lowes, probably at most hardware stores.

John Schreiber
08-20-2007, 8:52 AM
I rub mine down with wax every once in a while. I have some ugly candles and just rub them on the metal.

Richard Niemiec
08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Wax. I use a toilet bowl wax ring; all beeswax I think, cheap and plenty of it. Good for lubing screws every once in a while too.

RN

Ian Welford
08-20-2007, 5:29 PM
Paste wax or dry lube such a Molylube dry spray. Alternatively try rubbing a soft pencil ( bb grade) all over the sliding part- cheap, easy and effective!

Ian

Richard Goodwin
08-21-2007, 1:12 AM
Thanks to all those who replied. I will try the wax.

Bob Smalser
08-21-2007, 8:23 AM
I use whatever lithium grease happens to be in the gun at the time, and clean off the resulting mess and regrease periodically.

But if I were smarter I'd use Tetra or another moly-based synthetic dry grease.